starting strength gym

Thread: Asthma treatments & Cortisone.

Default Asthma treatments & Cortisone.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

I was wondering if you or Stef have any advice regarding treatment of chronic asthma & rhinitis with corticosteroids?

I have had trouble finding any decent information on it, but to my understanding "corticosteroids" includes Cortisol.

The warnings on my medication suggest usage can cause "cushings sydrome like effects" and if you have them in your family you should not use them.

Cushings sydrome is the name given to the effects of excessive cortisol. I definitely do have this in my family.

So basically I am worried about the potential hormone disrupting effects. Do you or Stef know if this can be a problem for those wanting to gain muscle mass/be strong?

I am very unfit in an aerobic/cardio kind of way. Since enjoying the progression of strength training, it has compelled me a lot towards sports; Something I have done very little of before due to my breathing problems.

I like things like cycling, and was thinking of having a go at football (yes american football in the UK) But these would be rendered near impossible due to breathing problems.

If I attempt to train for aerobic fitness, should I use these drugs every time or perhaps fight through the minimal amounts I can manage un-medicated and use it only when competing/riding against others?

Should I perhaps do NO aerobic/cardio work, and just focus on pure strength and hope for it to be enough?

Are you talking about the use of Nasonex or other low-dose steroidal anti-inflammatory sprays? I know of no studies that have shown a systemic effect from the use of these things. And breathing while you sleep is very anabolic, in the grand scheme of things.

He may be asking about the effects of glucorticosteroids used to treat asthma, such as inhaled budesonide (Pulmicort in the US). They suppress the immune system a bit.

Yes,

I am talking about typical inhalers & nasal sprays. For me this includes ciclesonide and fluticasone propionate. I figured that there might be a chance that you or Stef might have some advice on the matter, considering you work with a variety of people involved in sports. Fair enough if you dont, was worth asking.

On the bright side, I just found a meaty report written by our british health authority with details on ciclesonide. So Ill just go read it now.

http://www.ukmi.nhs.uk/NewMaterial/h...ideNMP0605.pdf

I've been taking prednisolone (a corticosteroid drug with systemic effect) due to a chronic kidney disease for the past 14 years (I'm 29 today).

I started strength training a couple of years ago and at that time my doctors basically told me that strength training would be risky business due to to the drug's adverse effects on recovery ability, protein synthesis and bone density. I decided to train anyway (through time, I've learned to take a lot of the things my doctors tell me about the broader everyday consequences of my illness and it's treatment with a grain of salt). I've found that higher dosages will affect my recovery ability quite a bit and my strength levels will drop quickly. In those periods, I will back off and switch to a low volume high rep-range while sticking to the basic exercises. On low dosages of prednisolone I can do starting strength just fine. On medium dosages things are a bit more tricky and I'll usually make adjustments along the way while trying to stick to SS a closely as possible. Here, adjustments will usually mean skipping a training session once in a while if my strength levels stall or drop for no apparent reason. Also, I'll up my protein intake significantly.

I'm not a doctor, but from what I know of the usual steroid treatments for asthma, I doubt you have much to worry about. I develop the usual signs and symptoms of Cushing's syndrome when I'm on a high dosage of prednisolone, but I don't think you'll experience systemic effects from any inhaled kind of cortisol treatment. Again, I'm not a doctor and I realize the label warnings on your medication says otherwise - but those labels usually also need to be taken with a grain of salt. If I were you, I'd just train. You'll learn more about how your body responds to the combination of cortisol treatment and training with time, and even if you do expereince complications (which I rather doubt), they will be something you can counter by making your own adjustments along the way.

I refrained from chiming in last night but I just want to add my two cents.

First, asthma can kill you. I am not saying that for effect but because you seem to be treating it lightly. I've had asthma my entire life and take medication for it. Even still, for the first time in my living memory, I was hospitalized twice in the winter of 2008 and I am certain I would have died without those ER trips. That's WITH medication, which just didn't seem to work for these attacks. It's one man's anecdote but my experience isn't uncommon: according to the Centers for Disease Control, asthma attacks account for a quarter of ER visits every year in the US. Those folks (2 million people) would probably have died without rapid medical attention.

So if the doctor-style talk doesn't resonate, here's another: according to a lot of very good coaches, GPP is necessary for someone who wants to improve physical performance past a novice level. If you can't run stairs, flip a tire, or push a sled then your lifts could very well suffer on account of it.

This is true, and it's wonderful that you're concerned. But he hasn't got asthma. He has a stopped-up nose. So do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is true, and it's wonderful that you're concerned. But he hasn't got asthma. He has a stopped-up nose. So do I.
    Hrm, I guess I was duped by the part where he asked for treatment tips on chronic asthma.

I admire your keen-ness to pisstake Rip, as always.

But I do have asthma, in addition to chronic rhinitis. I pretty much permanently have a sinus inflammation & infections because of it.

I was in a serious house fire when I was 2-3, had problems getting out of breath and frequent lung infections.
    I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 6 or so. But I chose not to medicate, which was fine by my parents. Even at that age I had the mindset that dependency on medication was not a good thing.

It made me pathetic at school sports, but I tried my best despite barely being able to breathe. I like physical activity and games, but was always severely limited because of these issues.

I recently got more into the idea of sports again, realising I could "train" myself into performing to at least a mediocre standard. I have progressed with barbell training which has definitely made my body feel more functional & strong. This is getting me increasingly excited about the potential of sporting activities.

However my respiratory function is still poor. I went to get a thorough investigation at a asthma specific hospital. They told me I definetly do have asthma. I have elevated NO2 levels in my lungs which means they are permanently inflamed, my lung capacity is about 80% of average sedentary person, plus scarring was visible in one of my lungs on a x-ray. (perhaps as a result of childhood fire?).

The doctor told me to take the corticosteroids both in my nose & lungs every day to stop the inflammation in lungs & infections/polyps in my sinus.

Being chronically medicated is something I am reluctant and wary to step into. Especially as these drugs actively suppress the immune system and are catabolic.

I really appreciate the insight from Danedude.

I have just been reading page 71-72 in PPST about "cardio respiratory" fitness. This is a new term for me, and training for it in the method vaguely described sounds promising. I am not familiar with how crossfit works, but is it basically HIIT or something different? I think I could definetly train my cardio-respiratory fitness with minimal problems indoors with barbells/kettlebells etc.

Does anybody have some advice on where to look for ideas on this? How to program it etc?

Thanks everybody.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, there you go. My mistake in reading too quickly. Sorry, Patrick and Dastardly.