starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift sticking

Default Deadlift sticking

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been doing deadlifts for triples on intensity day but my deadlift is starting to stick... in a weird pattern. I'll make the triple for a week or two and then the next week I won't be able to get it off the ground. I want to keep my deads going up without wasting too much time on programming trial and error, so I thought I'd hit up someone who may be able to recommend strategies that they have seen work.

Last few deadlifts
    4/17 - 335x3
    4/25 - 340x3
    5/1 - 345x0 (tried the lift 3 times)

I'm 43, 200 pounds and have been training seriously for about 18 months.

Thanks!

Do you perform your deadlifts as touch no go or do you reset every rep?

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Do you perform your deadlifts as touch no go or do you reset every rep?
    Probably more touch and go. I don't bounce them, but I don't dawdle either. The bar comes to a stop and I pull again.

Usually if you see a triple turn into a zero it is because the 2nd and 3rd rep are touch n go. It isn't uncommon to see #2 and #3 look harder than #1 if the reps are touch no go. Even if they aren't bounced, the use of even a slight stretch reflex makes it easier than pulling from a dead stop. You might post a video of a set to Rip.

Thanks. Your observation is consistent with what I've experienced - once I get the first rep up the next ones have felt a little easier. I'll knock enough weight off the bar so that I can do the set with a solid, absolutely dead stop between each rep (even though that means my dead will lag my squat even further. *sigh*). And I'll see if I can get a form check from Rip. Thanks again!