starting strength gym
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: John Broz System

Default John Broz System

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121212081

Interview is in the first post then people toss his questions in the forums, what do you guys think specifically about his overtraining statements

He certainly has some very successful and strong lifters. I noticed one of his responses about the squat:

Squats take no or very little mental energy or stress on the CNS. squatting heavy should become as regular as a walk down the street.
    I wish that were true, but certainly have not found that to be the case with me.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    He certainly has some very successful and strong lifters. I noticed one of his responses about the squat:

I wish that were true, but certainly have not found that to be the case with me.
    How often do you squat? did you see he was saying his athletes go 2x a day monday - saturday and once on sunday

the biggest thing was his statement of there being no such thing as overtraining. I wonder if Mark knows Mr. Broz.

The only thing I recall Rip saying about Broz was that he sees him at Nationals everywhere. Hard to say what he thinks of his methods.

Whoops, should have said "Nationals every year"

But regaurding his overtraining comments, obviously there is such a thing as it. Look at how easily advanced or masters lifters can overtrain, then completely screw up their training cycle. Overtraining is covered in like the 1st or 2nd chapter of PP2E.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
    Originally Posted by The_cannibal
    I think that something a lot of people need to realize, and I'm sure Mr Broz would agree with me, is: the principle of progressive increase in load of training[.

Someone who's trained since he was 10 y.o. will be able to train a lot more by the time he's 19-20, than someone who doesn't have the same experience.
    I guess the disagreement is if it should be "able to train a lot more" or "has to train a lot more"

Quote Originally Posted by kittenSmash View Post
    Whoops, should have said "Nationals every year"

But regaurding his overtraining comments, obviously there is such a thing as it. Look at how easily advanced or masters lifters can overtrain, then completely screw up their training cycle. Overtraining is covered in like the 1st or 2nd chapter of PP2E.
    I think what Broz is pointing out is that there is a big difference between overreaching and true overtraining (in terms of a systemic/hormonal phenomenon), and the body's ability to adapt to increased workload, if presented gradually over time, might just surprise a lot of people. A practical example here is the Smolov stuff, as Gary will attest to.

Well, most national level lifters lift something near Broz's frequency. I've heard Pendlay talk about how he has his top lifters doing 10-12 training sessions per week. You have to work up to it, though.

I think the genetic talent Broz is working with has to be taken into account. He has 19 year olds squatting 700lbs, he is clearly working with the genetically gifted. I'm not sure someone without a great deal of genetic talent could use the Bulgarian Method that Broz has adopted.

starting strength coach development program
    No doubt Mendes is a freak, but Broz works out of a small gym in Las Vegas, and I don't think he has a top notch national recruiting program, so I don't think he's dealing with the cream of the crop necessarily.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast