starting strength gym

Thread: Training with layers on

Default Training with layers on

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What are your thoughts on lifting with multiple layers on? For example, I've been for the past few weeks, wearing a wife beater, underarmor, thermal, then T shirt, and pair of ankle socks, pair of knee high long socks, underwear, underarmor compression shorts, then sweats. Been working nice for keeping water weight off, because I already sweat a good amount normally, and now I really sweat. Today I actually felt I was getting over heated and took the T and thermal off for a few minutes.

Doesn't seem to effect me negatively except for getting my belt, its a big pain in the ass now.

If it works for you, go for it. It does not work for me. I hate wearing anything more than shorts, knee sleeves, and a t-shirt. Coming up soon I'll have to start wearing a sweat shirt and sweat pants. It will be miserable but necessary. I sweat enough as it is. In fact I drink water like crazy to stay hydrated. I don't want to lose any water weight, but if you do, and it works, I see no reason to stop.

I always start my warm up with multiple layers on, then reduce the amount as I get warm. I find it hard to do anything besides press/bench and accessory/conditioning work with lots of layers on. Layers mess up my mechanics for squats, pulls, and O lifts, plus they make my belt feel weird. Either way, I'm not worried about water weight until I get close to a meet. It stays really constant either way when drinking 2+gallons/day and salting everything (5g/day).

Quote Originally Posted by JordanF View Post
    I always start my warm up with multiple layers on, then reduce the amount as I get warm. I find it hard to do anything besides press/bench and accessory/conditioning work with lots of layers on. Layers mess up my mechanics for squats, pulls, and O lifts, plus they make my belt feel weird. Either way, I'm not worried about water weight until I get close to a meet. It stays really constant either way when drinking 2+gallons/day and salting everything (5g/day).
    This. I like to do my warmup in a goofy sweatsuit I bought at Walgreens. Then I strip down to my shorts and T-shirt to unleash the fury.

If you train in an unheated garage, layers are necessary. I usually use sweatpants & a thermal shirt, occasionally with an insulated sweatshirt over top. And a wool cap and gloves. I take the extra sweatshirt & gloves off, do my set, and then immediately replace them. I have to let the belt out a notch, and knee wraps are a little weird, but I get it done. It makes coming back into the heated house a nice experience.