starting strength gym

Thread: Thoughts on Dan John's One Lift a Day Program

Default Thoughts on Dan John's One Lift a Day Program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What are the groups thoughts on Dan John's OLAD program? Some information here:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._a_day_program

I've been following it for about 10 weeks and find that with a few minor modifications (adding a little accessory work) it seems to be working pretty well. It also seems to be a great "in season" program for athletes because you aren't crippled with total body muscle soreness every day.

I've done StrongLifts (hated it), SS (liked it), WS4SB (liked it but time consuming), 5/3/1 (liked it..actually pretty similar to OLAD) and was interested in the opinions of others.

I did it once and it gave me a great post injury boost. After that I moved on. I loved the program though and will do it again when I next get a little stale. I especially loved the third week where I almost passed out on squat day.

I actually just read this in Never Let Go. Seems good to me, and has some similarities to 5-3-1 in the one time per week approach. I like his Easy Strength approach a little better simply because I feel the need to do a movement more than once a week, agree with his idea of "if it's important, do it every day," and like the slow and steady approach since I got hurt doing heavy intermediate work last year. I never feel like I'm working too hard, my lifts have continued to go up (nothing impressive, but happy), and I have no real fear of being reinjured. YMMV.

I've been on this program for about 7 weeks so far and I love it. I switched to this program mainly because the weather is getting hotter and in my garage (100+ degrees and humid in the summer) I become exhausted after about 45 minutes of lifting. This routine works perfectly and as DJ says, it's a sort of "powerbuilding" routine. The high intensity + low reps for strength, and the added workset volume for size. I don't take the week off as he recommends and I tweak a few things.

The way I do it is like this:

Week 1 - 5rm for 7 sets across (except squats I cap at 5 sets and deadlifts I only do 1 workset and then follow it with 5 sets of RDL)

Week 2 - 3rm on all lifts for 7 sets across.

Week 3 - 1rm singles.

Week 4 - Back to new 5rm.