starting strength gym
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Women doing SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength is a program that will work for almost anyone, given that they add the correct amount of weight. This is talked about in the book in detail starting on page 297.

Also, try not to focus on the scale when you first start training. You will gain muscle mass, which means your weight will likely increase. You should focus more on body fat percentage, which is a better indicator of the kind of weight you're putting on. I like this site because there are several different caliper methods and a calculation based on tape measurements.

Read the book before you start.

Quote Originally Posted by LiftingLiz View Post
    You should focus more on body fat percentage, which is a better indicator of the kind of weight you're putting on. I like this site because there are several different caliper methods and a calculation based on tape measurements.

Thanks for the link, Liz, I was looking for that type of site, hadn't had time to google yet.

Smalls21, you will start to feel stronger fairly quickly on this program. That is the best part, the positive feedback kicks in after a few workouts. I have been working out for over a month now, and have noticed muscular gains in my shoulders and thighs. I have not gained weight, and I am not restricting calories. I eat until satiated, and as a nursing mom that is quite a bit. I am overweight already, and welcome the added muscle mass as it will make me function and look better.

Still waiting on my book to come, so my questions are probably answered in there, but in the meantime...

I read on the CrossFit Forums that people start off in their first week with 60% of their 1RM for their first workout.
    How come 60% of 1RM?
    Is that what everyone uses? Why is this number chosen?
    How are the 5# and 10# increases chosen for the exercises for each workout?
    Are these numbers the same for women?
    How do you only add 2.5#? Do you have smaller plates?

The book will tell you how to find your starting weights. You basically will start with the bar, add weight until the bar starts to slow, that will be your starting weight.

As far as small jumps go...you will need some microplates.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...u=96017&ucst=t

Those washers fit perfectly over the bar and 2 of them weigh 1.125 pounds...so 2 per side and you have 2.5# jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls21 View Post

Hi,

I chose 5 lb increases, because I knew I would get to the heavier weights eventually. I am not in any rush. I am decreasing to 2.5 lb increases on the press and bench, as they became a bit difficult. Probably if you are young and strong, you can do 10 lb increases on the big lifts such as the deadlift or squat.

The people on the @Fit forums rarely actually do the program. Do NOT pay attention to them. They are typically weak underperformers. The book answers a lot of questions, including how to choose starting weights and progression. Most importantly, it covers how to squat correctly, which you probably would not know how to do without reading the book. Read the book.

Anyway, the book recommends you start with 10# increases for the squat and 5# increases for the presses, and pretty soon that goes down to 5# and 2.5# (or less). As a woman, the book recommends that you may have to go with about half that. You might make a 10# jump on the squat after your first workout if you started very conservative to learn the form, but after that you probably should do 5# increases for a couple weeks and then maybe less. Half those numbers for the presses. Treat the deadlift about like the squat, maybe a little more aggressive, especially when you're doing it once per week. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls21 View Post
    Still waiting on my book to come, so my questions are probably answered in there, but in the meantime...

I read on the CrossFit Forums that people start off in their first week with 60% of their 1RM for their first workout.
    How come 60% of 1RM?
    Is that what everyone uses? Why is this number chosen?
    How do you only add 2.5#? Do you have smaller plates?
    Start the 1st workout as described in SS. It's different for everyone.

I am to the point where I am upping my squat 2-3 pounds a workout, depending on how I did the last workout and how I feel. My bench is going up 1 pound a workout and press by 0.5 pound. I have bat weights, wrist/ankle weights, and extra clamps for my barbell to do the microloading. I am still very much in newbie mode.

I have gained some weight doing SS, some fat and definitely mostly muscle. I have had nothing but very, very positive responses. One day I went to my nurse practitioner for a sinus infection and was worried I'd hear something about my weight gain. She did indeed mention my weight gain, but she gave me about the best compliments I could hear about my body filling out. She even said I was smiling more and I had more color to my face.

I noticed that I weigh myself much, much less while doing SS than I did before while restricting my diet (and becoming more deconditioned). I also look at eating differently as well. Before,restricted eating and weight loss or maintenance was associated with success. Now eating and weight gain is associated in my mind with success at lifting a heavier weight, which I consider a far greater accomplishment than being thin as a deconditioned rail. It took some time to get to that mindset, but it's there. It's quite liberating. (My pant size is still a 4 or 6 like before SS, but the clothes fit better.)

Sorry this is so long.

Is this thread an example of what being nice to each other is like?

Interesting.

Default Try it, you'll like it

starting strength coach development program
    I've only been doing this for just over 5 weeks after 14 years of what amounts to low weight high rep and cardio workouts. I've definitely added muscle and some fat. Fat because I'm just eating a whole lot. My arms and legs are more solid, less jiggly. My shirts are getting tight in the shoulders.

The thing is to try it and see how you like it. It's not like the results are irreversible.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast