starting strength gym

Thread: wounded warrior training

Default wounded warrior training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm currently assigned to the Maneuver Captain's Career Course. I'm assigned as my small group's (17 captains) pt officer. One of the guys lost both his legs in Afghanistan. He lost one below the knee and one above, so he has partial knee flexion. His rehab, as far as I know has been the standard machine based therapist stuff

He has to conduct PT similar to what the rest of the group does every morning, but within his capabilities. In 6 months, he will take over as the commander of a basic training detachment. He has to be able to do all of the runs/ruck marches with the basic trainees.

Another restriction is the schedule HAS to look like:
    Mon- some for of "crossfit" metabolic conditioning (which always involves sprints)
    Tues-I can get away with making a strength day
    Weds- Combatives
    Thurs- Same as monday
    Fri- long run/ruck day

Since they closed the only gym with adequate barbells for renovations till March, im sort of shit out of luck from jump street. I'm thinking about assigning a very watered down form of linear progression as optional homework.

What would you suggest? How do you think artificial legs will affect his mechanics. Obviously, he has less muscle mass so will be able to move less weight. I think he'll be able to deadlift, squat, and press. No idea if he'll be able to power clean, I would assume yes since he has some knee extension.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Matt

I don't think he can squat or deadlift effectively with that much alteration in his ground reaction capacity. It will be hard for him to balance well enough to do the press. You're writing the book here. Keep us posted.

Limitations also come with in the artificial legs from bearing weight where we were never designed to bear weight...... watch for skin break down. Use open chain hip all planes / hamstring training- cuff weights and bands but keep progress consistant but small. Glut - ham raises of some sort will work. Strength is what will make the difference, but traditional bar bell movements with typical progressions are best experimented with cautiously and later. Keep in mind that he has lost leverage for knee extension on that side...and again--what the skin he doesn't need a 2 week break in training and walking waiting for a sore or blister to heal.

Ryan Long Guest

My limited experience has been that the military has done a good job getting these guys back to the highest level of physical proficiency possible. A little while back the Armed Forces Amputee Patient Care program had a few Soldiers and a Marine here at West Point to train for and run the Indoor Obstacle Course Test. These guys ran the test in front of about 500 people, one of the most powerful things I've ever seen. You can watch some pictures and video of them training for the test on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbepFzDH0mk I know we like to belittle PTs here to some degree because of their general tendancy towards isolation movements and stability exercises, but I'd imagine that the PTs in the Wounded Warrior Program are better equipped to help these guys than we are. If this officer is interested I can solicit feedback from the PTs involved in training the servicemen in the video and possibly link them up. PM me for more info.

I have no experience in this, but I would try some form of stiff legged deadlift, if the knee angle can be fixed and/or stablilized. Maybe good mornings. Not sure if either would work, but that's where I would start. Gets the lower body involved with minimal knee flexion. Based on what the other posters have stated, sounds like the weight used will have need to be very light to start.

You may have to invest in some improvised weights for PT.

Ryan, thank you for sharing that video. Awesome stuff.

-Hat

MAJ Long,
    I saw that with, or maybe an earlier iteration of that, with my own eyes when I was a Cadet back in 05. Its amazing that someone in that situation can have the motivation to get out there and train hard. He's getting back in touch with one of his PT's for some suggestions. So we'll see what they come up with. I'm expecting to see a lot of running on his spring legs, but I'd be really interested to see if stiff leg deadlifts and modified squats could be incorporated. The last thing I want to do is something harmful

Ryan Long Guest

Good luck to your friend Matt. Whether or not he returns to regular running and rucking I'm sure he has a lot to offer the army and I hope he gets the opportunity to command. The commander of the warrior transition unit here, CPT Smiley, is blind, very inspring story.

starting strength coach development program
    Just watched the video and I have to say that's pretty awesome. One because technology has come so far to assist in people getting back (as best as possible) to normal motor functions and most importantly two, for the guys being persistent and pushing through.

Today is Veteran's Day and I wanted to take this opportunity to thank those who have served and are serving in whatever branch of armed forces. Your effort and sacrifice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.