starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bumper Plate Combinations

Default Bumper Plate Combinations

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Buying bumper plates, have y'all found that there are better combos to get, more cost efficient?

such as similar total weight (~230lb package is my price range) with 45s 35s 25s 10s, compared to 45s 25s 15s 10s, and so on.

Does this even make sense?

Do i even lift?

Thanks.

Get them in kilo's, it'll make people think you're stronger

You need multiple 45's, 2 25s, 2 10s, 2 5s, 2 2.5s, micro weights 1.25x2.

Quote Originally Posted by brianrichard View Post
    Buying bumper plates ... more cost efficient?
    If you don't need competition quality, the most "cost-efficient set" is built by simply buying from a low-cost source.

Don't forget to include shipping costs in your comparisons.

Don't know if too many member know about these guys to compare prices.

http://www.getrxd.net/index.php/ligh...er-plates.html

http://www.therubberman.com/fitness-...er-plates.html

They dont really make 10lb bumpers. Eleiko make some 10lb plates, but I dont think they accept to much dropping. They are for children to learn with, I dont think you need them. If you can snatch 60kg I would question even getting 10kg plates. I wouldnt bother with 25kg plates either. Probably 2x20kg plates and 2x10kg. This will allow you to clean & jerk up to 120kg / 265lb. And snatch as little as 40kg / 90lb. Which is probably enough (I dont know how strong you are).

Quote Originally Posted by gummi_hulk View Post
    You need multiple 45's, 2 25s, 2 10s, 2 5s, 2 2.5s, micro weights 1.25x2.
    This. I got two 35lb bumpers I rarely use. So they are probably the least mandatory size to get.

I use some chains for micro weights, so to each their own in that department. But, you should be able to microload some way or another.

My favorite sizes are 45, 25, and 10. The 10s are great for warming up by just adding 20lbs for each warm up set (depending on the lift).
    Last edited by yorick; 05-05-2012 at 10:08 PM.

My short girls use the only 35s I have for putting their feet on for bench press. That's all they are ever used for. They're perfect for that.

IIRC, Mike Boyle stated in his book "Designing Strength Training Programs & Facilities," that 35# bumpers are unnecessary.
    You can get by without 35s, if you get more 25s and 10s along with the 45s. All other plates can be cast type (5s, 2.5s, 1.25s, and micro weights).

I currently have a set of 45# bumpers that I use with numerous cast plates and it works well for me.
    When I am able to afford more bumpers, I will probably pick up some another set of 45s, some 25s, and two pairs of 10s.

Agree with no 35 lb bumpers.

I have 45s, 25s and 10s. I have one random set of 15s that I got on sale after a competition, and they are rarely used.

But, I think you should get kilos because kilos are more awesome. 10s, 15s and 20s. I use my 25s a lot, but that is because they are known as the Big Girl / Big Boy Reds at my gym, so it's a rite of passage when people put them on the bar for the first time. Double reds is an even bigger deal.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Agree with no 35 lb bumpers.

I have 45s, 25s and 10s. I have one random set of 15s that I got on sale after a competition, and they are rarely used.

But, I think you should get kilos because kilos are more awesome. 10s, 15s and 20s. I use my 25s a lot, but that is because they are known as the Big Girl / Big Boy Reds at my gym, so it's a rite of passage when people put them on the bar for the first time. Double reds is an even bigger deal.

This.

get Kilo bumper plates.

How many reds you have on the bar is the measure of your lifting ability. No one cares about blues, yellows, greens or whites.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast