starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready for a change...

Default Ready for a change...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First of all, I'd like to thank Mark for his dedication on a board that until now, I have only been an observer.

I'll start by telling you a little about myself. I am a 23-year-old unemployed college dropout from Kentucky. I weigh 375lbs and have a 48-inch waist. I am out of shape, unhealthy, and have been as such since the middle of high school.

Now that we have that out of the way, I'll move on. In November of last year, I got tired of being fat and unhealthy. I was working 58+ hours per week at a sit-down job for almost no money, and I decided it was time I actually grew up and made something of myself. I put in my notice, registered for college, and started working out with my at-the-time 395-lb self.

Since I didn't know how to begin a workout routine, I basically did whatever I could. I had some old dumbbells from years back gathering dust and rust in our shed; I began doing various (I assume crossfit-style) exercises with them every other day. I started walking about 2 miles twice a week, and started eating less (and cutting out sodas and other crap of the sort).

From what you've stated in prior threads (Mark), it seems that most fat people are that way because they are lazy, and that doing anything to get them in shape is generally pointless because they will statistically fail. I get that, and am perfectly fine with being an anomaly. I understand that had I shown up here four months back and said that I wanted to start losing weight, I would have likely gotten the cold shoulder, because honestly, I was not at the point where others should bother wasting their time.

Now I feel like I am at that point, and this is why:

I started working out last November. As all I had were some dumbbells, I bought a new 300-lb olympic weight set. I didn't have a weight bench (and being now unemployed had spent the last of my money on the weights), I spent two days building an Olympic-width weight bench with walk-in squat rack and safety spotters out of some extra wood I had lying around. Once classes started, I went twice a week there (Tuesday and Thursday), and I get my third of the week on Saturday at home (I have since acquired a much better and safer bench). I scheduled my classes so that I can spend approx. 1 hour at the gym, and 2-3 hours walking around campus twice a week, and have not missed a single workout, ever, period, even if it meant skipping a less-important class to get my workout done.

In the past 3-4 months I have lost three inches in my waistline (able to wear old jeans I hadn't touched for about a year), gained a ton of muscle, and am down about 20lbs. Based on my frame (I have huge shoulders, 8.75" wrists, and am 6'1"), I will probably need to lose 100-130lbs of fat, and I'm cool with that. I'll never look like a model; I've done too much permanent damage to my body for that. So what. Big deal. I am tired of being fat and unhealthy, and I am going to fix it if it kills me, and I am going to do so by adopting a healthy lifestyle that I will continue for the rest of my life, no matter what.

I've gotten a little off-topic, I know, but I did so just to show you that I am willing to work to fix my problems. As someone whose entire family is similar in size to me (although I am the largest), I know my genes are against me, but that doesn't bother me. I know that I am going to succeed, or I will die trying, no exceptions, period. I realize that it will be at least two years before I am anywhere near being physically fit, and even more before I am truly healthy. I am currently eating about 1000 calories less per day than what I had been (as well as cutting out sodas and processed sugars), eating lots of eggs, baked chicken, baked fish and dark greens, taking a multivitamin and fish oil every day, and drinking about 1/3 of milk per day.

Now, for my actual question: Other than doing the program (SS for beginners), what other advice would you suggest to give me the best chance for success?

You sound like a loner. Find some other people to train with that will reinforce your good intentions. This is very impressive as a post, you're doing everything I would suggest you do, and I wish you the best success, but it will help you to start hanging around with people to whom the habits you are trying to develop are already normal behavior. You have the potential to be a very strong man, and we need more of them.

Good Luck Serophis. Make it happen dude.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, especially coming from someone with your expertise.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a loner at this point in my workout routine, but I would like to add someone else, even if it is more of an accountability partner than a spotter. I've set up my schedule so that my carpool drops me off at the gym before every class, and scheduled classes as far distance-wise apart to force me to get my workout even on the days I don't feel like it.

Any idea of how to find a decent workout partner? I'm at a college gym right now, so most of the people I am around are 18-19-year-old guys who go straight to the "machine" side of the gym and don't go anywhere else. In the past three months I've only found one person other than myself using the real squat (today actually), and after he finished doing "quarter squats," he had the nerve to ask me why I could only do 225 when he could do 300.

Basically I'm saying that I would get a lot out of a partner; just not any of the people I've seen at the gym so far. Would you recommend trying to bring someone in who does not currently work out? Post ads? Any help would be appreciated, and thanks again.

Serophis, where are you located? There may be someone on the thread who you can hook up with to train.
    Also, if I may, don't let the fact that you're unemployed keep you away from a gym. You could scrub floors, clean bathrooms, etc. for your membership fee. A responsible gym owner would want to help you.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Serophis View Post
    Based on my frame (I have huge shoulders, 8.75" wrists, and am 6'1"), I will probably need to lose 100-130lbs of fat, and I'm cool with that. I'll never look like a model;
    Sounds to me like you're going to look pretty fucking scary-impressive, and probably sooner than you think.

Congratulations on getting back to college. This is one of the most inspiring posts I have read on this board.

I wish you the best of luck.

You can search for the people that have taken the BB cert and have given their information to Mark. You might want to check there for lifting partners. Might I suggest you find a sport you like? Training with them would help. Weightlifting, powerlifting, rugby, judo and boxing are my favorite, but whatever you are into.

You can also check out CrossFit.com and try to find people near you to train with

Serophis:
    I agree with Coach Rip that you sound like a loner because: 1) your post mentions noone else and 2) your activities sound solitary (especially 2-3 hours of walking) 3) your comments reek of self pity and depression, which are the handmaidens of loneliness.

To aid you in your success, stop speaking of yourself in such negative terms. For example, you write:

A) I am "an unemployed college dropout,"
    B) "I'll never look like a model"
    C) "I know my genes are against me"
    D) and so on

Instead, you should say:
    A) "I am a full time student pursuing a degree in ____________" (and for God's sake, please don't pursue a useless health class degree (physical therapy, nutrition, exercise science or similar crap - I can't stand every former fatty who thinks he needs to now "help" others. Become an accountant, a chemist, a physicist, a writer or something else useful.)
    B) "I will look like a big, strong, muscular MAN"
    C) "I have awesome genetics: I stand over six feet tall and have a massive frame (8.75 inch wrists) from which I will hang slabs of powerful muscle."
    D) and so on.

Being a fat unhelathy loser has encouraged you to think negatively about yourself - and rightly so. Now that you are moving in the right direction, move your head lead your body. It will speed all your processes, make you happier and make you better at your transformation.

A good place to find people to train with is through rugby. Go online and look for Kentucky rugby clubs. Your college may have a club. If not, there are plenty non-university clubs out there. They are always in need of big guys and rugby is a good team sport for adult men interested in strength, fitness and comraderie. Don't worry about a lack of knowlege in the game - they will teach. Rugby does not have the reputation as being a sport where supreme conditiong is honored, but every club always has a large handful of guys who train hard to be strong and in shape, along with a large handful of guys who do not.

And finally, buy Rippetoe's books and follow his advice to the letter (no sycophant).

Best of luck.

Very inspirational and very impressive, nice work so far!

You are on the right track and like Mark said, I am sure you will be a very strong guy.

Keep us posted!

starting strength coach development program
    I go to the new Fitness and Wellness center at EKU (Richmond, KY) if any other students want to team up with me. I could definitely use someone to keep me company; doing bench presses is becoming increasingly dangerous without a spotter (I use safety spotters at home but haven't found any benches with them at Eastern).

Also, to UnBalanced: I'm not depressed by any stretch, but as a person who has succeeded in every major goal I've ever made for myself, I know that the best thing for me is to assess my current situation, make a realistic goal, and then work my ass off to succeed that goal. I've got a lot of good things going for me, but I'm not going to kid myself; I also have a long road to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast