starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS and pull-ups

Default SS and pull-ups

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rip, I started SS monday and I know you eventually add pull-ups when you graduate to the advanced novice program, but could I add them in from the start? like doing pull-ups and would like to do them right from the start so I can at least maintain the amount I can do, but if I would benefit more from doing the program without them for awhile, so be it.

Just calm down about your pullups. They'll be fine. Why do you people think that your pullup numbers turn to shit when you start gaining a little muscular bodyweight, and why is so much of your perception of self-worth dependent on your pullups instead of your squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just calm down about your pullups. They'll be fine. Why do you people think that your pullup numbers turn to shit when you start gaining a little muscular bodyweight, and why is so much of your perception of self-worth dependent on your pullups instead of your squat?
    So when do you start doing pull ups? As someone who couldn't do any on day one, who is nearing the end of starting strength followed to the letter and has improved his strength massively, and obviously still can't do them because I haven't trained them, when do i start doing them? I mean when i started i was just straight up weak overall, now I'm nearly done haven't I developed a pretty massive imbalance between push and pull strength?

Pullups are included in the program from fairly early on.

Heh, I'm a crossfitter that's why, we do a lot of pull-ups. Good point on the squat, I'll lay off the pull-ups. Thanks for the advice.

Pullups are included in the program from fairly early on.
    I'm doing the program you gave in starting strength, not Onus Wunsler, the alternative novice program without powercleans in practical programming etc. After you posted this I reread the programming chapter just to make sure and the starting strength program doesn't have pull ups in it.

So one should not add any pullups to the program until they progress to the advanced novice program? when do we know it is time to move off form the basic beginner program to the advanced novice one?

The workout on page 300-01 is the one to do. You don't have the book, do you?

Mark, ConfuzzledOne has downloaded a copy of the first edition from some website. I don't expect you to release this post, just letting you know you're talking to a thief. Treat him accordingly.

starting strength coach development program
    The workout on page 300-01 is the one to do. You don't have the book, do you?
    Yeah I do have the book and never noticed that picture.

So the OFFICIAL starting strength program has situps every workout and chins and back extensions every bench day? Adding these definitely does no constitute fucking with the program?

If so, just out of curiosity, why didn't you mention that this in the text when you describe the two workouts?

Also, I'm a bit confused because I read here:

http://www.strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6857

If pullups/chinups were so ineffective an exercise that doing them would not interfere with another important upper-body exercise, why would they be in the program? Doesn't matter how long you rest, they will interfere with your presses.
    I got the impression from that that they are definitely not in the program.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast