starting strength gym
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Update

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip, is one of those numbers an error? You said his squat was 345 x 5 and his DL is 325x5. Barring some injury, shouldn't his DL be significantly higher?

My god. Look how much his hair has grown in that same time. a good 6 inches. Genetic freak

Quote Originally Posted by mr blink View Post
    I am admiring that "NO SILLY BULLSHIT" sticker on the board.
    Something tells me that wasn't an accident.

Rip, I already posted this in the "Lyle hates Rip" thread, but I thought it might be worth reposting here, for those that NEED to read it (obviously I think very highly of my input, heh)...

I want to first congratulate Zach for his ongoing strength gains. Zach, you’ve obviously been working very hard, which is more than most of the internet experts and arm-chair critics here can say for themselves, rest assured. The truth is that the majority will never commit themselves to an ongoing, systematic method of improving their strength and size. You are doing just that, and that is commendable.

Secondly, though it’s been a while since I’ve read Starting Strength cover to cover, I sincerely don’t remember the program being advertised as one dealing primarily or even largely with aesthetic concerns; so while I’m not denying that the majority who pursue physical fitness don’t possess at least a small desire to see their physical appearance improved, anyone doing a rapid bulk and following a program consisting of only the big lifts as this one prescribes should know better than to expect that they’ll end up looking like a cover model anytime soon. If that is or ever was your expectation going into this, then you are small, juvenile and delusional beyond the ability of any message board or solitary board member to remedy. Perhaps you should go back to drawing comic books and playing video games, where all your dreams come true instantly.

Third, except for the morbidly and chronically obese, losing weight is really, really fucking simple and easy. Go ahead and call me out faggots, you can go fuck yourselves, you don’t know me and you don’t know shit. Really, you can suck my dick (hey, all you lurkers from certain other boards, is that “petulant” enough for you?). Did I mention you can go fuck yourselves? Before I knew anything about mass gain, I was helping (moderately overweight) folks lose weight regularly. More to the point, anyone who has the drive and focus to follow Starting Strength or any other regimented lifting program should not have trouble applying that same drive and focus toward optimal fat loss. I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for some of you to comprehend this, but there it is. If and when Zach decides to cut weight, I am confident that he will have no trouble doing so (or are you queers just upset that he didn't make an effort to appear attractive for you?). Not everyone has a hard time sticking to a simple caloric deficit for extended periods (it’s okay, just plug your ears and close your eyes, and keep suckin’ your mamas’ titties--I’ll be done soon, it’s almost over now).

Lastly, if you think Zach is fat, you likely have an image problem yourself. Christ, it’s an insult to actual fat people that you’re calling him fat, really. I’m not blind, I can see that he’s gained fat, and he’ll lose it when he’s ready. Furthermore, it’s his decision whether to continue to gain weight or not, whether X amount of fat gain is acceptable for him, and if you don’t think you can stomach that amount of fat gain, FINE, don’t do it. It’s beside the point: aesthetic concerns were never a part of the original debate, which had to do with whether Rip’s claims for lean body mass gain were feasible or not, and whether what Lyle et. al others claim is the cap for maximal lean gains is accurate or not. Let’s see if you all can stay on point from now on. Come one guys, you can do it, just focus.

Nah, just go back to dick-swinging, it really impresses teh people on teh internetz.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Done, above. Zach is about 6' 1". It was 15 weeks unless I miscounted - all of 3 months and some change. His squat was stuck after a slight bout of novice termination. His bench is at 240 x 5, DL is 325 x 5, press is about 145 x 5, PC is about 176 x 3.
    Yes, you're right. I was looking at the date of the article, early January, instead of November 12.

With Zach's squat only increasing 30 lbs in 15.4 weeks ("only" being relative to his initial progress), and I'm sure his progress on the other lifts has slowed down as well, it seems like he's at a point where a lot of trainees get frustrated and fall off track, since now the weight is feeling really heavy and 5-10 pound increases aren't so easy anymore. I know this happened to me.

How is he doing with this and how much longer do you suspect he will be a novice? It seems like maybe he is a more average case compared to someone like Justin, AC, or Bryan who were still novices as their squat got past 400 lbs.

Many of Zach's lifts are comparable to mine, give or take. He's been doing this for 15 weeks. I've been doing this for 15 years.

Where the hell were you, Rip, when I was a scrawny freshman football player all those years ago? Or in college, where I basically just did why my high school football coach showed me, and wondered why I didn't make progress? Very glad to have found you relatively recently - it's changed everything about how I train. And now I have progress.

THis is my weird way of saying thanks for the books, DVD, and education. As soon as my sons are ready, this is what we're doing with them.

Having gone through a similar transformation one summer through Starting Strength and seen the reactions people had (my nickname was HGH for a semester). I'd be curious to see how people are reacting to his transformation, relatives that haven't seen him in awhile, old flames etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelucifer View Post
    Rip, is one of those numbers an error? You said his squat was 345 x 5 and his DL is 325x5. Barring some injury, shouldn't his DL be significantly higher?
    It should be, but it's not. You want me to kill him for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle5000 View Post

How is he doing with this and how much longer do you suspect he will be a novice? It seems like maybe he is a more average case compared to someone like Justin, AC, or Bryan who were still novices as their squat got past 400 lbs.
    He's already doing TM on squats. He's a more average specmen than Justin or AC, and 6 months is about right for this transition to occur.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 03-04-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Rip,

Do you have Zach's starting weights for the other lifts?

starting strength coach development program
    I don't have them memorized, and I do not keep his journal, but they were proportionate. Why?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast