starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlifting With A Belt

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    I leave it in the same place on my back, but work it down under my gut in the front. Rip mentions he likes his DL belt lower, don't know if this is what he meant, but it works nicely to stabilize the trunk and yet stay out of the way of my hips.

I do this too, try it if you haven't already. Actually, I may even pull it up a bit in the back, and then down in the front over my lower Abz. Works perfectly for me with my EFS belt, otherwise it's not comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    If you wear the hood, Dave Tate style, it adds 10lbs to you lift.
    Same rule apply for nipple singlets?

Why are you nancies crying about the belt hurting? Man up and put the damned thing on. The pinched flesh will either 1) bruise and then heal, 2) die causing you also to die.

You will have nothing to worry about with either outcome.

-Hat

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    Why are you nancies crying about the belt hurting? Man up and put the damned thing on. The pinched flesh will either 1) bruise and then heal, 2) die causing you also to die.
    The reason I started crying about it was because I couldn't get it to work properly. If the belt were pinching me but was also helping to increase intra-abdominal pressure then I would suck it up, but at the moment the belt just kind of comes loose -- loose enough to be useless, but tight enough to pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    The reason I started crying about it was because I couldn't get it to work properly. If the belt were pinching me but was also helping to increase intra-abdominal pressure then I would suck it up, but at the moment the belt just kind of comes loose -- loose enough to be useless, but tight enough to pinch.
    Tighten it more, duh!

I think some one else mentioned this, but it just takes some fiddling around with it to set it right. It also takes some practice to push your abs out against the belt as opposed to just setting/bracing them, even more so when you are bending over like in the deadlift. At least it did for me.

-Hat

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    Tighten it more, duh!
    Haha. I tighten it as much as possible when I'm standing up, but once I get into the deadlift position it loosens up a bit.

I think some one else mentioned this, but it just takes some fiddling around with it to set it right. It also takes some practice to push your abs out against the belt as opposed to just setting/bracing them, even more so when you are bending over like in the deadlift. At least it did for me.
    I'm fine with the belt on the squat and press. I've tried a few things with it for the deadlift that were suggested on this site, such as wearing the belt very low near my waist, and wearing the belt on an angle with the front end lower than the back end. Still haven't figured it out. I'm deadlifting tonight, so I'll make some more adjustments and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by CThomas View Post
    Also, the Harbinger nylon belt. Justin mentions this on 70sbig:

http://www.harbingerfitness.com/cgi-...x.cgi?243&&sku

The Valeo 4" is the cheapest, at $20. But it is out of production and is running out.
    I use something like this for my squats, works for me really well.

I tried a proper 4" leather belt but it didnt offer anywhere near the support, also dug in and was very difficult to get on/off between sets.

Velcro FTW.

also dug in and was very difficult to get on/off between sets.
    I got one of the new Elitefts 13mm belts a few weeks back. At first this happened to me too. I once spent 3 minutes resting to recover enough to try and pry the belt off of me. However, after repeated use, the leather softened, my body toughened up, and I feel much more stable that I ever did in a velcro belt.

I will add that I still use the velcro belt on pressing movements - the leather belt likes to ride up on my abdomen on the overhead press.

Jesus Christ I've seen some shitty advice in this thread. What is this velcro shit?

So i just wear a hoody and use the third hole...the hoody makes it slightly tighter and prevents pinching.
    I second this. I personally hike up my shorts or sweats UNDER the belt, then buckle. This eliminates some of the pinching as well as making it tighter. Some pinching is unavoidable, and yes, your skin will bruise, but it's superficial and doesn't really hurt. Doesn't look great, but whatever. This bruising is COMMON. Ask around.

but at the moment the belt just kind of comes loose
    Okay, I get it, you don't mind the pinching, but it's also coming loose. I imagine it's coming loose because you're jamming your belt against your thighs, which creates some space in the back. Have you tried turning your feet out at a (slight) angle to allow your belly a place between your legs?

Still haven't figured it out. I'm deadlifting tonight, so I'll make some more adjustments and see what happens.
    You got the right idea, pal. Everyone deals with this shit. It's never a "solved" problem. Just tighten the belt as much as you can, fill up with air, and pull until your eyes turn red.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cjangelo View Post
    You got the right idea, pal. Everyone deals with this shit. It's never a "solved" problem. Just tighten the belt as much as you can, fill up with air, and pull until your eyes turn red.
    Good advice right there.

I think I found a good position for the belt. I wore it such that it is perfectly centered over my love handles. If I try to wear the belt any higher, it slides up until it's above my love handles when I bend over, and this is probably why it kept coming loose before. Still some pinching with this new position, but as I said, pinching is fine as long as long as it's helping my lift.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123