starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A Clarification

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    who cares about body fat percentages? Use the mirror test. Eat a surplus until you get strong as shit. Once you feel/look like you are getting too fat and think the strength gains aren't worth it anymore, dial down the calories and so some hill sprints. Once you cut and maintain for a while, start eating at a surplus again. Rinse and repeat.

It's fairly simple.

Quote Originally Posted by the big chill View Post
    who cares about body fat percentages? Use the mirror test. Eat a surplus until you get strong as shit. Once you feel/look like you are getting too fat and think the strength gains aren't worth it anymore, dial down the calories and so some hill sprints. Once you cut and maintain for a while, start eating at a surplus again. Rinse and repeat.

It's fairly simple.
    Could that back and forth being prevented by dialing in a smart diet? Just look at KSC who become stronger while loosing weight.

Yes, if you want to do the dialing. Sheaffer can help with this. But I'm primarily concerned with novices and intermediates, and the simple way works fine for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Liao View Post
    Better you Sir, than some phony bleeding-heart, chicken-necked, milquetoast, demagogue, that's for sure, indeed!

Isk, I don't mean to be contentious but I DO believe things need to be explained to such details.

The old "just get under the bar" adage was what kept me from true enlightenment for years.

It started with me as a skinnier kid than I'm now, so confounded with actual strength training that I diverted my energies over to the gimmicks before any solid foundation. Distractions of mine in the form of such things like serious gripper training at a body weight of 150 soaking wet; ala IronMind Enterprises. Can't say Dr. Strossen did too much for me there...

Super Squats (R), was a joke! The advice was solid but way too hyperbolic and allegorical for me; but a wispy breath of a boy, then...

Ohh well, thanks for the clarification Coach.

Taikor Liao,

Perhaps I should make some clarifications at my end.

My post was in relation to someone who wants to do Mr. Rip's Novice Program ("Mr Novice") (I've had my fair share of the Hardgainer's one workout a week with HIT and BB splits thank you).

This forum, the Aasgard books and DVD, Mr. Rip's CF vids (collectively referred to as the " Novice Program Resources") are available for Mr. Novice to make some appreciable gains (I know I had after 10 months of SS which ended late last year. My 2010 goal on the TM is a humble 5-rep 2.25x BW on Squats and DL (at BW of 98 kg) and so far I appear to be on track).

I'm not trying to be some macho bad-ass with my earlier post, but what I meant was:

Mr Novice who wanted to do the Novice Program should know where he is, where he wants to be, apply knowledge gained from the Resources (and some common sense so that when you've started to become a fat ef, you know you're going too ape with the calories) and then get under the bar without over-analysing stuff.

On a side note, the said article was a reiteration/ summary (though not verbatim) of the Resources and its KIND of sad that Mr. Rip had to address this specific group or Mr. Novice of what is/is not the Novice Program, despite the availability of the Resources( not to mention the potential BB.com-type questions).

And I never said details were bad (refer to SS: BBT). Detailing what is/ is not the Novice Program MAY be.

Kind regards.

P/s: Like I said, I've been lurking (and LEARNING) from this forum, ever since it was housed under strengthmill forum and this had only been my second post.
    Only now do I appreciate that the internet is a tough place to express yourself, especially since English is not my first language. Perhaps I should type less and just get under the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Could that back and forth being prevented by dialing in a smart diet? Just look at KSC who become stronger while loosing weight.
    This shit is a marathon, not a sprint. You aren't going to wake up one morning with a 600lb deadlift, 500lb squat and 400lb bench, and a chiseled body overnight. It takes years to get your strength where you want it to be as well as your body.

Thanks Ripp.

This article is basically a roadmap of what im going to be doing for the next 5-8 months.

Thanks Mark, there are a lot of concise details outlined here. Very useful as a quick reference document.

After 3 months of not doing the program, I thought that 30 kg increase in squat is good progress until I read this article and started to really drink the milk.

This article was gold for me as I am the fat guy wanting to do SS after such a long absence from the iron it is sad. So thanks for clearing it up for me. I finish the gym in the garage Saturday and then I am back under the bar. Thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    This program has worked well for me and is working well for me. Before last summer I was on the program just two of those months and saw 100lb increase in my squat and dead each and 50lb in my bench. Only 30 or so in the press. This however was just on my hearsay about the program, looking at some random videos and what not. Then course started in the summer and because of all the cardio and the hectic schedule I lost those gains. Now after getting the book over a month ago, I am near back to where my previous gains were and am again squatting my body weight and am almost at 1.5X bodyweight for deads. This is an awesome program and I can't wait to see where it takes me.

Reading the book really helped me out in areas I actually had no idea about.

I have to do cardio though while on the program so it may slow my progress, but it's the army life.

I can't wait once I improve to start teaching it to my troops so they have an alternative to do in the gym besides 10 different kinds of bicep curls or half squats.
    Last edited by Elgar; 04-06-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast