starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Much stronger....no bigger

Default Much stronger....no bigger

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    RIP, question on strength and weight. I know, it has been beaten to death, but this wasn't covered to the best of my searching ability.

For the past year i have been playing around with xfit, CFFB, black box, starting strength, and now just doing the basic lifts a few times per week as heavy as possible without overthinking it. Basically, it has all worked. In fact, it's all worked great and i am stronger now than i ever thought possible. For example, in september i could deadlift 1x305. In the past month i've pulled 2x420 and 5x395---the result of consistently picking up progressively heavier weight once a week. That is the most dramatic increase but all of the other lifts have improved about as much as i could hope.

The curious thing is my bodyweight has remained a constant 175 at 6 foot, with no noticeable increase in muscle mass, bf%, or any other visual difference. I don't really care, it just runs counter to everything i read and the experiences of most everyone i workout with. I don't do GOMAD, nor have i ever before, for the simple reason that progress has generally been constant without all the extra calories, and i sleep better, have more energy, harder erections etc... when i eat moderate amounts of healthy food.

To what extent does this run counter to yours and justin's experience training people-meaning, are there just some people that can get stronger without putting on a lot of weight? Can i just chalk this up to genetics? Will i ever be a full grown adult man... IF i deadlift 500 does being an adult male even matter?

thanks is advance
    chris

It is impossible that your body composition has not changed during this increase in strength. It is quite possible that you have not accurately assessed the change. But maybe Justin has more experience with this than I do. Let's ask him.

when i started crossfitting, i started at around 143. i got up to 150 in a month or two, and then stayed at 150 for a good year or so. during that year i got stronger. not crazy strong or anything, but i got my squat up to 265, deadlift to 335, clean to 185. original numbers were something like 200/255/135. ive always been skinny, so i dont really think i was loosing fat and gaining muscle, i guess i was just using what i had more effectively?? i dont know, it didnt make sense to me then, and it still doesnt make sense.

my issue was i was eating and training like a 12 year old girl. ive been doing ss for a few months now, and am up to 180.

See my article "The Novice Effect" in the resources department.

i make no claims to having genius levels of intellect, but i really should have been able to put that together ....

Kopp, on the bright side of things.. if you have any interest in sports that require a relatively light athlete, you are going to be at an extremely high advantage due to that awesome strength to weight ratio that we all work hard for.

Not all of us give a fuck about strength to bodyweight ratio. Most of us just give a fuck about getting really strong. S/Bw is important if you are in a weight class strength sport, but as a general rule the Universe does not care about your S/Bw. It just cares how strong you are.

And I agree, which is why I said if you're into sports that favor great str:weight ratios.

I was confused by this part: that awesome strength to weight ratio that we all work hard for.

starting strength coach development program
    I guess I'm being a presumptuous asshole in thinking that most of the intermediate trainees on this board are probably competitive in some kind of athletics, and if it's powerlifting or weightlifting.. most of us are going to favor a nice str:weight ratio.

Nevermind..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast