starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Routine Swap to exclude back? (Recovery)

Default Routine Swap to exclude back? (Recovery)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just got back from the doctors due to having a sore left leg/glute following squatting or deadlifting. He said it was due to weak muscles in the pelvis and low back and core area, and said for the first couple weeks of therapy I should lay off back squats, deadlifts, and seated exercises (cycling, probably seated rows, etc.).

How I am on the PP version of SS so clearly not being able to back squat for a couple weeks is problematic but I'm not going to get greedy and do it anyway and end up with a herniated disc. So I need to modify the programme to basically allow me to lose as little progress as possible without doing in my back

Bench Press, Press, Pull ups, and Chin ups should be fine so I'll just do those as per usual. For squats he said I should do them with a vertical back so I think front squats should be okay. I don't think the deadlift is currently savable though as the principle of the lift is a rigid back against a load, and that is exactly what I can't do.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a program better than

Mon
    Front Squat
    Press/Bench Press (alt.)
    Pull ups

Wed
    Front Squat
    Press/Bench Press (alt.)

Fri
    Front Squat
    Press/Bench Press (alt.)
    Chin ups

?

If you follow his advice you will continue to neglect the areas he claimed were weak, and which brought about your injury issue. If you believe his diagnosis of the problem, your best bet is to go back to the beginning by doing a considerable reset and build up again slowly on the lifts that expose this weakness.

Sounds like you should carry on business as usual... Maybe a bit of Starr rehab? I wouldnt take the docs advice. But then again I'm not you.

Also how does ones "weak muscles" get stronger by leaving out the core lifts associated with them? Seriously dude, just make sure your form is tight, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    Sounds like you should carry on business as usual... Maybe a bit of Starr rehab? I wouldnt take the docs advice. But then again I'm not you.

Also how does ones "weak muscles" get stronger by leaving out the core lifts associated with them? Seriously dude, just make sure your form is tight, you'll be fine.
    I think the principle is that the lifts are progressing faster than these particular muscles. It strikes me as worth losing 3 weeks of progress if the risk is spinal disc herniation that could cause problems for the rest of my life, yes?

I am suppose to strengthen these core muscles through a lower-risk rehab before I get back to squatting near my max. Does this not strike you as reasonable?

No, for the reasons we both stated.

There is no better exercise to strengthen the "core" relative to the work it does during a squat than squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    No, for the reasons we both stated.

There is no better exercise to strengthen the "core" relative to the work it does during a squat than squatting.
    Well, the issue also involves flexibility. By your logic wouldn't almost all physiotherapy be pointless?

Can you post squat and deadlift form checks?

What are you supposed to do instead of squats and deads to strengthen these muscles? How much money is this going to cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    Well, the issue also involves flexibility. By your logic wouldn't almost all physiotherapy be pointless?
    A lot of it is. In this case, it seems like you simply need to lower your weights on the squat and deadlift and fix whatever form issues are causing you pain.

I have done deloads and all that good stuff, but whenever things start to get heavier problems arise.

The whole thing will only cost me $60 (and I'm going to see if insurance covers it).

I have my assessment next tuesday and wednesday and then I'll be able to tell you what exercises and such I will be doing. As far as he told me so far "the problem is caused by flexion and improved by extension". After he had me do some basic back extensions I was able to get a couple inches closer to touching my toes.

I sadly have no videos of my squat or deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree with you Subsistence...way too many guys on this site think the cure for cancer is more squats and cheesburgers. While it is possible the doc may be wrong, suggesting that all doctors dont know shit when it comes to how the the body of a strength athlete works is ...well its quackery. Special exercises to improve specific weaknesses can always be helpfull.

Think long term and understand a few weeks off those exercises will make fuck all difference too your long term progress, especially if your goal is get back to them from a stronger base.

Your above suggestion looks fine as an interim programme. Last time i cycled Front Squats for 3 weeks I actually PR'd on back squats by 10lbs the very next week. Front squats can have decent Deadlift carryover as well. Thers nothing wrong with a little variation in a long term plan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast