starting strength gym
Page 94 of 385 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: Puttering along

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks Les, I'm sure I"ll figure something out. I live and breathe goals. I gotta have goals!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Seriously? I don't know anything about it.
    This is definitely a subject to research on the forum, and then to pester Rip about, once you've got a handle on your options.

I really didn't want you to know about this problem. I figure when we get to meet it'll probably be during one of Seattles 'Occupying' get togathers, you to protest, me to make fun of all of you and you'll now know to kick me in the knee. Basturd....
    Now now. Unless your knee is a corporate entity oppressing the people and distorting government, I don't have any beef with it.

I'd ask Rip about this Oldster, of course after you talk to a good doctor. Remember, doctors want to cover their asses, and the first thing they say is don't squat. So take that with a grain of salt, and ask other doctors. Good luck with this.

I'm am extremely curious, DV. Was she in a lot of pain with her bursitis? Mine was off the scale, registering a full 10 of 10.
    In spite of her small, fragile frame my wife is very, very tough. And she complained quite a bit, so yeah, it was pretty damned painful. Painful enough that we flew to Chile to get her examined and operated (and she hates doctors, operations etc.). Her joint was so banged up, that the MRI actually showed it as an almost complete tear, yet luckily once they cleaned it out, it wasn't as torn as they had thought.

Bottomline: Get a good doctor, and get an MRI. The first might be more difficult than you'd think, but with an MRI, you can assess your options better.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    I'd ask Rip about this Oldster, of course after you talk to a good doctor. Remember, doctors want to cover their asses, and the first thing they say is don't squat. So take that with a grain of salt, and ask other doctors. Good luck with this.
    I once again second the talking to Rip part. I think I read somewhere that he squats without an ACL in one of his knees and other problems. So he would know.

Regarding the bolded part, a GOOD doctor wont say that, but will say: Let's see how we can get you squatting again. But good doctors are few and far between, unfortunately.

Goals are good. You gotta find a sports doc.

I thought of something you might be able to do with relatively less strain on the quads and knees. How about stiff legged deadlifts with slightly unlocked knees? It'll hit the entire posterior chain, which is nothing to sneeze at in terms of overall muscle mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I thought of something you might be able to do with relatively less strain on the quads and knees. How about stiff legged deadlifts with slightly unlocked knees? It'll hit the entire posterior chain, which is nothing to sneeze at in terms of overall muscle mass.
    Yeah, these or RDLs would probably be doable, depending on how much stress this puts on the other battered portions of the joint.
    Something to try, certainly.

Thanks Les, I'm sure I"ll figure something out. I live and breathe goals. I gotta have goals!
    Oldster's new goal:

Curl what the average curlbro benches.

Thanks, guys!

I automatically thought about RDL's. I'm pretty good at them, at least, 20 years ago I was.

John, curls are something else I'm pretty good at, with my long arms. I'll never have big biceps but at least I can still chin and curl. Heck, in the past I've hammer curled the 100's for 5 reps. Maybe I better get back after those too if I am screwed in what I am able to do.

I have an appointment in 2 weeks from today to talk with my Doc about my knee again. I'm waiting so long because I already had an appointment for that day. Plus, it'll keep me from jumping back in before I'm ready, if I'm ever OK'ed again. What I saw on my Xray, even through my pain filled eyes, was frightening.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, guys!

I automatically thought about RDL's. I'm pretty good at them, at least, 20 years ago I was.

John, curls are something else I'm pretty good at, with my long arms. I'll never have big biceps but at least I can still chin and curl. Heck, in the past I've hammer curled the 100's for 5 reps. Maybe I better get back after those too if I am screwed in what I am able to do.

I have an appointment in 2 weeks from today to talk with my Doc about my knee again. I'm waiting so long because I already had an appointment for that day. Plus, it'll keep me from jumping back in before I'm ready, if I'm ever OK'ed again. What I saw on my Xray, even through my pain filled eyes, was frightening.
    I get the feeling the docs are following the line of the old joke, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." If the xrays look as bad as you say, and you're in that much pain, you might already have a partial rupture . Rehab isn't really going to fix it, only let the symptoms fade out a bit, and they will come back. Surgery will get rid of the nastiness, but I'm not sure how well in comparison to what I had.

Did some searching, here's a link to an article that looked at surgery:

http://www.eorthopod.com/content/sur...r-tendinopathy

And of course, proof that there is life after patellar surgery: