starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting autopsy video (not for the squeamish)

Default Interesting autopsy video (not for the squeamish)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Here's an interesting anatomy lecture/autopsy video on the "fuzz" that accumulates between our muscles with inactivity.

(src: http://thegymexperiment.tumblr.com/)

Ive never really seen cadaver flesh like that, really does just make us look like a piece of cooked chicken!

Just to be clear, I don't know to what extent people grow fuzz of whatever overnight, I would guess this is BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Just to be clear, I don't know to what extent people grow fuzz of whatever overnight, I would guess this is BS.
    How can it be BS? You have an anatomy professor there showing it on a real cadaver.

Does anyone here have the correct anatomical term for "fuzz"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    How can it be BS? You have an anatomy professor there showing it on a real cadaver.
    I hope this is sarcasm.

This dude is not an anatomy professor and that "fuzz" is something called areolar connective tissue. It has nothing to do with muscle adhesions, or foam rolling, nor is it something to feared or corrected. Carlos's BS meter was very accurate. This is why the Internet is a dangerous place. It is very possible to look like you know what you are talking about when you actually do not. Look up Gil Hedley. Wearing a lab coat and cutting up corpses does not an expert make.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 09-27-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    This dude is not an anatomy professor and that "fuzz" is something called areolar connective tissue. It has nothing to do with muscle adhesions, or foam rolling, nor is it something to feared or corrected. Carol's BS meter was very accurate. This is why the Internet is a dangerous place. It is very possible to look like you know what you are talking about when you actually do not. Look up Gil Hedley. Wearing a lab coat and cutting up corpses does not an expert make.
    You know, I hadn't watched the video, so I was a bit skeptical about Carlos' initial reaction. I made it through 1:13 of it before I realized anyone who thought this was legit was a moron.

Indeed, look what I found on his website:

I went to Duke as an undergrad, and then to the Divinity School of the University of Chicago for an MA in the study of religion and a Ph.D. in Theological and Philosophical Ethics. (I wrote my dissertation on marriage ethics in the Catholic Church.) While in Chicago, I studied Tai Chi, which, among many other things, helped me to re-conceive my body.
    I kind of mostly believed what he was saying because I had no reason to doubt it and obviously thought he had a PHD in medicine as I didnt know autopsies were even legal otherwise, and even after checking his background out. I still dont really "get" why someone would make these pseudo educational videos with innacurate information.

Wikipedia is similarly not a 100% guaranteeable source of facts. And after this little affair Im not sure I want to believe anyone about this sort of information. I mean are you sure it is even "areolar connective tissue."

The description makes it sound like the sheet of film you get over muscular flesh, not so much the "slimy residue"
    Last edited by Dastardly; 09-27-2010 at 02:59 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Dude mostly just creeps me out with all the "run my fingers through the fuzz" talk... I would not trust him around small children, though from the looks of it, a child might be able to take him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast