starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form maybe causing knee problem (VIDEO)

Default Squat form maybe causing knee problem (VIDEO)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Now I'm not certain that this is actually the squat's fault, since the pain started more than 2 days after the previous workout, while kneeling down to pick something up. Unfortunately that meant it was about 20 minutes before my next scheduled workout, but as the warmups weren't making it any worse, I went ahead and increased the work set weight anyway.

Set 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWzGubxsr9E
    Set 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOs8cCtl7-w

Now the next day it still isn't any worse, but it isn't any better either, and I have the feeling that it's starting to develop in the other leg as well. So any suggestions for what I might be doing wrong would be very welcome.

Here are some suggestions:
    Don't look straight ahead, look at a point on the floor about 6 feet in front of you.
    GET SHOES.
    Sit back more and get a piece of wood to put in front of your foot. If your knee knocks it over, they it is travelling too far forward.
    Try widening your stance a little bit to ensure knees don't go too far forward. Shove the knees out hard.
    Your bar path is far forward of your mid-foot or heel. It makes squatting harder when the bar isn't in line with what is pushing against the ground (e.g. the heel).

Did you read the book?

E

A

T

Quote Originally Posted by Marotta View Post
    EAT
    I know, be patient, I've only been doing this for 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by rpbrown View Post
    Did you read the book?
    Yes, it has rarely been on my shelf for the last two weeks.

Here are some suggestions:
    Don't look straight ahead, look at a point on the floor about 6 feet in front of you.
    GET SHOES.
    Sit back more and get a piece of wood to put in front of your foot. If your knee knocks it over, they it is travelling too far forward.
    Try widening your stance a little bit to ensure knees don't go too far forward. Shove the knees out hard.
    Thanks, I think the knees out cue might be the trick. I know enough to stop my knees from actually caving in like they used to, but actively pushing them out causes a lot of other places to tighten up in ways which feel weird but good.

Your bar path is far forward of your mid-foot or heel. It makes squatting harder when the bar isn't in line with what is pushing against the ground (e.g. the heel).
    I think this might just be a trick of perspective. Don't look at the end of the bar, look at where it crosses my back. It was slightly above my bodyweight (I know, still not much), so any serious imbalance and I'd just have fallen over.

The bar does look like it comes forward a bit on the ascent. Just to be safe since your having knee troubles, try lifting your toes so you know your staying on your heels.

Quote Originally Posted by rgove View Post
    I think this might just be a trick of perspective. Don't look at the end of the bar, look at where it crosses my back. It was slightly above my bodyweight (I know, still not much), so any serious imbalance and I'd just have fallen over.
    I looked again and the bar is clearly 3-4 inches forward of your heel area. I've had similar issues at times; although I don't fall over, it does make the squat exponentially harder. If you had been squatting 500 lb and the bar was that far forward of your foot, there's no way you'd be coming back up as easily as you appear to do now. The higher the weight, the more the mid-foot bar path matters. But don't let bad habits persist because they can be hard to fix later in the iron game.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the advice guys. My knees feel fine now and I'm into new PR territory.

You're right, my hips do tend to come up a bit faster than the bar. The funny thing is, when I shove my knees out throughout the movement, and concentrate on extending the hips as soon as I hit the bounce, the entire movement feels much shorter and shallower than it did before, even though I've verified with video that the depth is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    When i say knees out, i don't just mean put them there, I mean FUCKING SHOVE YOUR KNEES OUT AS HARD AS YOU FUCKING CAN. When you do this, you will end up stopping at the bottom because of your hips, not because you chose to stop by pushing up.