starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Requesting more clarification on beginner rep scheme

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    David: Put your focus on improving your clients. If your getting results with your clients, some trainers will want to talk shop . However, most will not. when I first moved out to California Alwyn Cosgrove ( Men's health , perform better ,etc) and I worked at the same facility. Alwyn is a smart guy and worked very hard for his clients ( he produced very good results). 95% of the training staff had do desire to discuss training with him ( he always wanted to talk training) and gossiped how he didn't know what he was talking about.

Most of those people are still doing their group classes and bitching about how he's overrated.

Ever state I've worked in Oklahoma, California, and Colorado has the same situation you speak of.

I run my training business from my home. To get of the house, I sometimes train at a 24 hour fitness ( insert eye roll) . Recently, I received a free training session from a kid with a whopping 3 weeks of training experience( he had just left the Wyoming coal mines). It was a sad hour.

Stop wasting energy with wanting to be right, or changing people that want to be right ( I wasted a bunch of energy in the past). stay curious, and help those that come your way. You'll feel a lot better about going to work each day.

Kevdenver,

Thanks for the insight. I will surely follow it. At the moment, I don't have any clients because I'm still an intern. I guess what I'm trying to do is create a niche for myself here. The gym itself is great. Some of the trainers are not. And because I'm young and love reading suggestions from more experienced people who are willing to stick their neck out for younger pups, I want to make sure I start out on the right foot.

Make your "clients" realize that their current personal trainer is worthless.

"Mr. Prospective Client, when you come into the gym and work out every few days, how do you see the gains you're making week to week?"

"Well, I'm stagnating right now and looking to change things up."

"Ok, Mr. Propect, when you're picking up heavy stuff, how do you see the muscle isolation exercises helping you to complete the tasks at hand?"

"Well, I have a strong core ....."

"Ok, Mr. Prospect, what do you envision looking like after 6 months working with me? What do you want to see?"

"I want to be strong and have some show muscles." (yep, paraphrasing ... more likely to sound like "I want to be a magazine model.")

"That's the easy part, Mr. Prospect. Here's the hard part - you're going to have to let go of everything you know about working out and the brainwashing your previous trainers have done to you. Are you willing to do that, to attempt a different method of training, to challenge your body and KNOW that you're training to reach your goals, as opposed to training so that I can charge you to keep coming back?"

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the response. I wish I could have thought of that brain hi-jacking myself.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234