starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Belt Recommendations?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal.horse View Post
    Inzer, 10mm, lever.
    yup. that's what i use. i couldnt be happier. it's nice not needing to take the belt off in between sets, you can just release the lever.

Quote Originally Posted by 250orBust View Post
    +1 to best belts. Ive got the prime cut single prong and I love it. I also live in canada and I had some issues with payment but after that was said and done I recieved an excellent product and some coasters to boot. (is "to boot" a stereotypical canadian saying?)
    How much was the shipping for you?

It seems like Best Belts and Inzer are the two highest recommended around here. How to choose between these five belts for someone getting a first belt? Are the Ultimate and 13 mm belts too thick?

Best Belts Athlete one piece leather, soft or normal, 10-11 mm $59
    Best Belts Prime Cut two pieces laminated $75
    Best Belts Ultimate two pieces laminated $95
    Inzer Forever Belt Buckle one piece leather 10 mm $67
    Inzer Forever Belt Buckle one piece leather 13mm $90

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

I have the ultimate from best belts. It's finally breaking in after about 7 or 8 training sessions. It's very thick, very rigid, and provides a lot of support. So far, it has taken a bit of effort to really cinch it down, and then even more effort to get the thing off while breathing heavily after a set. i have the single prong, and couldnt imagine trying to mess around with a double prong. This is improving though, as the leather gets more flexible and is conforming to my body.

The biggest thing that stands out when comparing my 13mm thick belt to the 10 mm belts at the gym is that the added thickness is definitely something you'll notice when tensing your abs under weight. It's just a much better surface for your abs to "push" against.

I'm also 5'9'', and have to say that the width of the belt has not interfered with my squats or deadlifts. I have had some bruising around the belly area, but haven't noticed any abnormal pinching.

Hope my random nonsense helps.

New belts need to be broken in by hand first. There's a vid by Rip around somewhere. If you're not strong enough to break a belt in by hand, perhaps you don't need a belt.

Get a bestbelt athlete standard single prong. I wouldn't get anything thicker unless you are putting up really serious weight and/or your really big yourself. The single prong is a must, you'll like it if you get it and if you get a double prong you will wish you didn't. Also call and give your measurements and ask for extra holes (no charge), they are a great company to buy from. I got purple just because it is awesome.

I have this one and I couldn't be happier with it.

Default go lever!

looking around at Inzer, the prong belts and lever belts are the same price for the same thickness. i have no idea why someone would choose the prong over the lever. the lever uses leverage(gasp!) to tighten the belt, eliminating the difficulty of putting on tightly and removing quickly.

Edit: i suppose the prong would be better suited for people in a training environment where they share a belt. you kind of "install" the lever portion on a lever belt so that it fits your girth. its only two screws tho and could be changed quickly with just a penny (or screwdriver, but i dont carry those in my gym bag.)
    Last edited by william jackson; 12-06-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by william jackson View Post
    looking around at Inzer, the prong belts and lever belts are the same price for the same thickness. i have no idea why someone would choose the prong over the lever. the lever uses leverage(gasp!) to tighten the belt, eliminating the difficulty of putting on tightly and removing quickly.
    Well for one thing msingh reports that he's not strong enough to reposition the lever to a different location in the belt.

Also if you want the belt different for different weights or lifts the prong makes that easier, I guess.

These are just some arguments I've read. I don't have a belt.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Willess View Post
    Get a bestbelt athlete standard single prong. I wouldn't get anything thicker unless you are putting up really serious weight and/or your really big yourself. The single prong is a must, you'll like it if you get it and if you get a double prong you will wish you didn't. Also call and give your measurements and ask for extra holes (no charge), they are a great company to buy from. I got purple just because it is awesome.
    That's exactly what I got! Yeah, the Best Belt guys are amazingly nice and I think make the belts themselves. Here's a pic of my belt in action at the last meet I was at; it's a lot more purple in person.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast