starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exercises for a 50 year old

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thank you Vader, he will be motivated as he sees the weight on the bar go up, and he usually tells me that after he's been going to the gym for a week or so he feels better (consistency is his problem), so I will try all these suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You talked about strengthening his lower back, so maybe have him doing some back extensions might be a good way to ease into the more technique intensive back squat and deadlift. A little pre-hab, pre-conditioning for the main event, if you will.
    +1. Great advice.

As someone with a 'bad back' and nearly as old as Mark, I would also caution that ballistic movements such as cleaning would be huge no-no's.
    Last edited by Oldster; 02-19-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts-nuts View Post
    Thank you Vader, he will be motivated as he sees the weight on the bar go up, and he usually tells me that after he's been going to the gym for a week or so he feels better (consistency is his problem), so I will try all these suggestions.
    Good luck!!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    Good luck!!
    Go to the gym with him. Consistency is a whole lot easier to keep when you've got a training partner who'll be let down when you don't show up. It will be useful for a while in terms of making sure he's got his form solid too ... and one of the best ways to ensure that is to teach him the coaching cues to tweak your form.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123