starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength standards and expectations

Default Strength standards and expectations

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just saw the strength standard tables (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf) and am a bit confused about what to expect from SS. In the "A clarification"-article rip said that if you are doing the programm correctly, you should get up to 225-245 x 5 x 3 with a bodyweight of 185 lbs in 6 - 7 weeks..

According to the strength standards table that would be above novice though.. and at the bottom of the document it says that it takes 3 - 9 months to achieve that.

I've been doing SS for 6 weeks and my 5RM are:

Squat: 236 lbs
    DL: 264 lbs
    BP: 146 lbs
    OH: 101 lbs
    PC: 100 lbs (just started with it last week)

My 5RM goals are:

Squat: 1.5 x bw
    DL: 1.75 x bw
    BP: 1 x bw
    OHP: 0.75 x bw
    PC: 1 x bw

My bodyweight: 190lbs

The strength standard table makes it seem like it would take at least a year to get there, since my goals are pretty much "immediate", which takes "up to two years". Is that really realistic?

Don't worry too much about the standards right now. A year of strength training put all my lifts in the intermediate category, and from what I've seen here, that's pretty normal.

Yep, I'm "advanced" in the squat and I just started doing TM.

Those standards DO NOT correspond to a programming model. In other words, just because you fit into "intermediate" on the strength standards, it DOES NOT mean you should be thinking about intermediate programming. They're two different things, and the confusion is the reason he took those tables out of PP.

I was close to elite at 181 for Squat and DL after just over a year of training.

Thanks, mstrofbass.. how come though that in the "a clarification" article Rip says it should take about 10 - 12 weeks to get to a 265-285 x 5 squat, while the strength standards table puts that into intermediate and says that that takes "up to two years"?

I'm not in a rush, I just think it's a good idea to have certain goals and I want them to be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemn View Post
    Thanks, mstrofbass.. how come though that in the "a clarification" article Rip says it should take about 10 - 12 weeks to get to a 265-285 x 5 squat, while the strength standards table puts that into intermediate and says that that takes "up to two years"?

I'm not in a rush, I just think it's a good idea to have certain goals and I want them to be realistic.
    Because the standards table is based off of the average person, not the average person doing Starting Strength.

I was under the impression that these numbers were compiled based on Rip's observations of his trainees over the years, which I would assume were average people coming in who then would be put on Starting Strength.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    I was under the impression that these numbers were compiled based on Rip's observations of his trainees over the years, which I would assume were average people coming in who then would be put on Starting Strength.
    Sorry, yes, but it's a combination of factors.

The main thing to consider is that it is averages, so applying it to one particular person doesn't work.
    Last edited by mstrofbass; 03-14-2011 at 04:59 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Obviously there are always differences.. but isn't it odd that "a clarification" says 10-12 weeks to hit a 265-285 x 5 squat, while strength standards makes it seem like it's more 1 - 2 years. Thats a huge difference and "a clarification" also seems to be talking about a fairly average guy.. (that seems to be exactly the point of the article, what an average person can achieve if SS is done correctly)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast