starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conditioning: The Prowler

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kje_simen View Post
    Would taking a rope around your waist and attaching the other end to an old tire to add some resistance, provide the same effects like a prowler workout? Although not as good, I am guessing it would be an allright substitute, since I don't have any possibility of acquiring a prowler any time soon.
    push a car, dude.

I know you push the prowler and pull the tire, but what you basically do, is apply resistance to your running. I will try to get a car to push but I doubt I will get access to one before December (when I turn 18). I would therefor like something to do in the meantime.

Is it something special about pushing against the resistance, versus pulling it (other than the shear on the spine)?

Yes, there is. SEARCH FUNCTION reveals that the kinetic chain in the Prowler goes from hands to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by jon cowie View Post
    A rugby playing aquaintance filled an old tire with cement and tied two bits of rope from it to a scaffold pole; he pushes the pole in a 'too cheap to do it properly but it's better than nowt' way.
    That sounds awkward as hell. And maybe pointless?
    It still sounds to me like he's really pulling the tire, regardless of how's he rigged in to it.
    Perhaps a physicist will weigh in with a vector diagram.

I see the guy standing in between the pipe and the tire, pushing on the pipe. At least I hope that's what he meant.

just pushed a car. My lungs feel like they're going to explode after only 5-10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I see the guy standing in between the pipe and the tire, pushing on the pipe. At least I hope that's what he meant.
    Yeah, like a horse in harness, or a yoked ox. But I'm not sure the force works out the same, since pulling with a harness and pushing the prowler are different.

Yep, the Prowler works best.

How does asphalt respond to having a prowler pushed around on top of it? I rent a condo in a building with some cranky owners. Will it leave drag marks/scratches if I push it on top of the asphalt parking lot?

starting strength coach development program
    Depends on whether the asphalt has new sealer on it, the black stuff that gets applied to parking lots sometimes. The Prowler will scratch that up. But we have been using it on the plain asphalt street in front of the gym for a couple of years now and there are no visible signs that we've been there. Close observation reveals some polishing, but this is not visible in a casual inspection.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast