starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conditioning: The Prowler

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What's the closest conditioning work that can be used as a substitute for someone who is fucking up and doesn't have a prowler? Farmer walks?

Do you think it's worth it, to make one out of wood?

Something like this, 404 Not Found

Is the prowler something you can keep in your garage, bring out and push down your street (assuming it's a quiet residential street)?

Quote Originally Posted by Clay84 View Post
    I hate to drag this topic into every thread, but am I right in assuming that in the case of someone with a disc injury that the sled would still be preferred over the prowler as it doesn't load the spine?
    The sled hurts my back and the Prowler does not. This is probably because the belt from the sled has a tendency to produce shear on the spine as you pull if you are not very careful to place the belt across the pelvis instead of your lower abs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    What's the closest conditioning work that can be used as a substitute for someone who is fucking up and doesn't have a prowler? Farmer walks?
    Push a car. You don't carry a Prowler.

[QUOTE=Jebus;253335]Do you think it's worth it, to make one out of wood?

Something like this, [invalid link]

This amusing device will last about a week. There is a huge amount of leverage between the handles and the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by jedomann View Post
    Is the prowler something you can keep in your garage, bring out and push down your street (assuming it's a quiet residential street)?
    Most home gym owners do it this way.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 04-28-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    One last thing...we will often use a heart rate monitor with the prowler as well and sprint our ass off until we get our heart rate above 180. The we'll rest until we can bring it back down below 150 (145-148) and then sprint again until it gets above 180. This is best done for time - say 10 minutes. The first time you do it, you may only get 2-3 cycles in ten minutes, but as you become more conditioned you'll knock out 6, then 8, and even 10 rounds in ten minutes because your heart rate learns to elevate quickly and then drop quickly after the sprint.
    This sounds like a really cool and accurate way to measure progress. Do you have a brand of heart rate monitors that you would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by jedomann View Post
    I was doing this for a while but because I used the same stretch of road in my neighborhood (only stretch long enough that is straight), my prowler started scratching up the road. Who cares, right? Well the HOA cared. Enough to call the police. So I had to stop. Now I just do it during downtime at work for PT. I was alternating Heavy/Short with Light/Long sprints on days after training. Doesn't take long at all for adaptation to occur.

-Hat

Quote Originally Posted by Regin Smidur View Post
    This sounds like a really cool and accurate way to measure progress. Do you have a brand of heart rate monitors that you would recommend?
    We just use Polar. But I'm sure it really doesn't matter.

Thanks Matt. Some good stuff in there.

Would taking a rope around your waist and attaching the other end to an old tire to add some resistance, provide the same effects like a prowler workout? Although not as good, I am guessing it would be an allright substitute, since I don't have any possibility of acquiring a prowler any time soon.

starting strength coach development program
    How have you not comprehended the comments regarding pushing vs. pulling?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast