starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Long term effects of weight lifting.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    -What about people who squat about 2x their weight and deadlift 3x their weight several times a week over a period of Y years, recreationally
    I would kind of fit in here, not every week though. It does not matter what sport you do there is always a risk of injury, and it can accumulate over the years, but just being alive is dangerous. The long term effects of training with weights is no worse than any other sport, as a matter of fact weight training if done properly is probably one the safest sports you could do. There are benefits which carry over into old age such as maintaining muscle mass, strong bones and joints and not to mention reducing risks of life style diseases, such as heart problems, diabetes etc.

However if you do not train with proper form, and your ego gets in the way(too much weight) and you train through injury you are asking for trouble. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/412143

Randomly ran across this article with some dude who seems to lift a lot: http://www.brotherhoodofiron.com/art...eadlift-holder Usually i find interviews like that to be pretty lame, but this guy sounds down to earth.

Anyway the parts relevant to this thread are that he started deadlifting when he was 16 or 17 because he had "broken his back" skiing and needed to rehab it. Then there's this:
    BOI: Glad to hear it. What other major injuries have you sustained, and how did you deal with them?

Benedikt: Well, I’ve had lots of muscle tears. I’ve torn my pecs several times, as well as my tricep, mostly benching. One time when doing hurdle jumps I even impaled my bicep on a metal pole and had to be rushed to the hospital. Generally speaking I try to start training again as soon as possible so as to not let the area atrophy too much. I focus on explosive exercises that involve fast twitch fibers in order to boost GH production and thus promote recovery. I have found that doing it this way allows me to avoid long downtime and not lose much, if any, strength.

sounds like good times.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Randomly ran across this article with some dude who seems to lift a lot: http://www.brotherhoodofiron.com/art...eadlift-holder Usually i find interviews like that to be pretty lame, but this guy sounds down to earth.
    That's Benedikt Magnusson, one of the two man in history to deadlift more than 1,000 lbs. A month ago he broke the world record and deadlifted 1,015 lbs. Probably the strongest man in the world.

Ps. Thanks for the link, a nice interview.
    Last edited by Rezart Erindi; 06-17-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    It does not matter what sport you do there is always a risk of injury, and it can accumulate over the years, but just being alive is dangerous. The long term effects of training with weights is no worse than any other sport, as a matter of fact weight training if done properly is probably one the safest sports you could do. There are benefits which carry over into old age such as maintaining muscle mass, strong bones and joints and not to mention reducing risks of life style diseases, such as heart problems, diabetes etc.
    Well said, with special emphasis on the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    This pic makes me LOL whenever I see it. Is it real?

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    This pic makes me LOL whenever I see it. Is it real?

hahaha me too. Yeah it is, I beleive. It pops up when you google his name.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Sorry Link was a dud, but this is what it listed, injuries then the cost per sport, basketball on the top, and weightlifting second from the bottom. So it is as I said weightlifting is safe as long as you don't get too greedy with the plates. If you think about it everybody lifts weights every day , at home, at work, some with correct technique many with bad technique. Thats why back injures are common because people over the years use their back as a lever instead of using their legs. The result is their backs are stuffed in old age. Weightlifting should train you to lift a load correctly, even when you have to lift an asymmetrical load and that is another carry over benefit of training with weights.

Basketball 1,633,905 $19.7 billion
    Bicycles 1,498,252 $28.6 billion
    Baseball 492,832 $6.6 billion
    Soccer 477,647 $6.7 billion
    Softball 406,381 $5.1 billion
    Trampolines 246,875 $4.1 billion
    Inline Skating 233,806 $4.2 billion
    Horseback riding 196,260 $4.9 billion
    Weightlifting 189,942 $2.7 billion
    Volleyball 187,391 $2.1 billion

Next in line among summer recreational activities are swimming with 149,482 injuries and wrestling with 136,055. Roller skating had 115,763 injuries and gymnastics had 86,479.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345