starting strength gym
Page 44 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam's Shitty Deadlift in the Land of Vag

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    CPF Provincial Championships 2012 - Meet Report

Alright just got home after a long ass 12 hour day at the meet, so here's a brief run down.

First, the video:

Squats
    Warmups didn't feel so hot. 405 was harder than it should've been, but it's because I didn't take it out of the monolift in the warmup area with the right stance. I smoked 468 on the platform, so I got my confidence back real fast. Went way too deep on that rep, but it didn't affect me.

Called for 523 on my second and it also went up faster than I expected. I cut the depth off a lot (at least it felt like it) but on video it was still buried, and the judges even told me I was way below parallel. Decided to bump my third up to 557 and missed it, but I'm positive I would've missed 551 as well if it was the same rep. Took it too deep and lost tightness in the hole and just couldn't fight it back up. Maybe another day.

Summary:
    1. 212.5kg / 468lbs - Good lift VIDEO
    2. 237.5kg / 523lbs - Good lift VIDEO
    3. 252.5kg / 557lbs - Miss VIDEO

Bench
    Warmups also felt harder than they should have. There was some confusion about if I was allowed to take my usual thumbless grip but I talked to the head judge and he said it was fine but really, really discouraged it and was nervous about me doing it. Before my first attempt he made the spotters huddle up with him and said, "Now I don't want to scare you guys, but this guy is taking a thumbless grip so you really need to watch the bar close." Thankfully the grip has never given me any issues, but the nervousness in everyone else was getting to me a bit.

First attempt was 314 and it went up effortlessly like it should (I've repped it for 7 for fuck's sake). Second was 353 which matches my meet PR, and it went up real smooth too. Stayed with my plan and called for 369 on the third and smoked it. It wasn't super fast, but it was smooth and steady, about as perfect as a third attempt could be. I might have been good for another 5 or 10 pounds, but I am satisfied with that choice and think I made a good call.

Summary:
    1. 142.5kg / 314lbs - Good lift VIDEO
    2. 160kg / 353lbs - Good lift VIDEO
    3. 167.5kg / 369lbs - Good lift VIDEO

Deadlift
    My arch nemesis. Warmups were sort of weird and hard to time at this whole meet, I usually ended up with like 25 minutes after my last warmup before my first attempt. The deadlift was the laziest of them all in that regard. I hit 225 for a few reps as my first warmup just because that's what was on the bar, then I just went back to the crowd and hung out until I noticed a weight I wanted to lift on the warm up bar in the corner. I ended up doing 225x5, 315x3, 365x1, 405x1, and 455x1 then a half hour break until I lifted. Last warm felt solid but not like warp speed.

Was a little nervous going into my first attempt but it ended up being my best deadlift rep of all time. Weight on the bar was 225kg/496lbs. UNREAL speed, smoked the fucking shit out of it. I can't believe how well I nailed it.

I bumped my second up to 562. Insane speed on that as well. 12 pound PR and it went up like 405. I ALMOST lost it in my left hand though, and the judge made me hold it for what felt like forever to make sure I wasn't gonna drop it.

At this point my 1500 pound total was just about out of the question, but my friends that were watching were pretty convinced that if I could hold it in my hands, I could pull 600. I almost called for 611 in an effort to hit the 1500 pound total, but restrained myself and called for 601, figuring that a 600 deadlift would be a lot more awesome than a 611 miss. I focused on my grip big time, thinking about nothing else. I ripped it off the floor with decent speed, got it past my knees and my grip gave out in the same hand.

I took my grip in my fingertips like I do in training to prevent tearing a callous, which in hindsight was dumb. I should've taken it deep in my palm for the extra security. It's a max effort single, callouses are the last thing I should be worrying about but I didn't even think about it, just took my normal grip. It's not really an excuse because I clearly need to work my grip harder, but I think I might've got the rep if I had done that.

Summary:
    1. 225kg / 496lbs - Good lift VIDEO
    2. 255kg / 562lbs - Good lift VIDEO
    3. 272.5kg / 601lbs - Miss VIDEO

Overall
    I totalled 660kg / 1455lbs. Not the 1500 I wanted, but pretty good considering I missed two lifts. I PR'd every single lift (including beating my touch and go bench with a pause bench), and PR'd my total but 150lbs.

I also walked away with the gold medal in the Men's Open 242 division, and there was actually a silver and bronze medalist, as well as 1 or 2 guys who didn't medal, so winning that actually means something and I actually beat some guys, so that is fucking sweet.

Still an amazing day and cannot complain at all about the results. I will get the 1500 in June at Nationals. I'll get a fully edited summary video up in a bit, for now you can see the video links next to each lift!

Last edited by AdamW; 12-02-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Wow. Everything I expected, but I'm still blown away. Super impressive, Adam! Very nice write-up too :-)

Big congratulations...you murdered it.

Thanks a ton Steve! Not gonna be long before you're nipping at my heels buddy...

Jeeeeeezus the bar speed on those were pretty fucking fast. Congratulations!

Thanks Scott! Yeah I am absolutely PUMPED about how my deadlifting went at the meet, I have never pulled so well in my life aside from the damn grip issues.

Default Re: Adam's Shitty Deadlift in the Land of Vag

Adam, I have been following your log for a while now. Your meet performance was awesome. Congrats! 1500 will go up in June.

You KILLED it! Really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillman View Post
    Adam, I have been following your log for a while now. Your meet performance was awesome. Congrats! 1500 will go up in June.
    Thank you man! Yeah with any luck I will nail the 1500 in June, hopefully 1520 to at least put me in the Master classification, then I'm just 90 pounds away from Elite.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMantz View Post
    You KILLED it! Really strong.
    Thanks dude!

Nice work, Adam. You have made some sick progress since I've been following your log.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks man I appreciate it!

Page 44 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast