+ Reply to Thread
Page 164 of 216 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154 162 163 164 165 166 174 214 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 2160

Thread: Republican Primaries

Quote Originally Posted by solfish View Post
    Hitchens isn't a good analogy because his idea of combativeness was writing bilious essays about how stupid and wrong his opponents were while Breitbart's idea of combativeness was literally screaming that his opponents were rapists over and over again.
    Not to defend his methods, but if I went and talked to a big group of occupiers it would probably drive me bat shit crazy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRuffleburg View Post
    Not to defend his methods, but if I went and talked to a big group of occupiers it would probably drive me bat shit crazy as well.
    This is very much like Hitchens. Breitbart's willingness to get to confront large crowds is admirable, in my view. The critics on this board seem to have very selective filters for what is acceptable behavior. Do the rules change with the viewpoints of the person, or do you disapprove of people who make outrageous charges against all political opponents?

There are numerous outrageous insults you could scream at crowds which would be semi-acceptable or at least make sense. "Stop raping people!" is not one of them, unless the crowd is a convention of NAMBLA or Catholic Priests.

There are numerous outrageous insults you could scream at crowds which would be semi-acceptable or at least make sense. "Stop raping people!" is not one of them, unless the crowd is a convention of NAMBLA or Catholic Priests.
    Many people chanting "right wing bigot" (not a nice thing to say), and Brietbart responds with something that is not nice. I assume it was an OWS crowd. But I think Solfish, you make my point, the things held against Breitbart were due to his politics and his message and his choice of targets, not his methods. I suspect we could argue what Breitbart did in his life and not come to agreement, but I will add that what Breitbart did, which are liberal touchstones, are what Breitbart did and what the left really hates him for:
    - speak truth to power
    - question authority
    - afflict the comfortable

How Ron Paul's Minions Plan to Hijack the GOP Convention

My county mass precinct meeting made the Daily Beast!

What makes me really psyduck is how Newt is still a guy. Why are there people who are wholly dependent on medicare, who actually upvoted this guy? Remember when he led the shut down of the federal government in their first serious attempt of killing off medicare? Is... is getting super old really that damaging to your long term memory?

... celebrity deaths...
    Ted Kennedy died. There was rejoicing.

FDR died. There was rejoicing.

Mikey Jackson died. There was rejoicing.

Mr. Rogers died. Some cold hearted bastard somewhere rejoiced.

Mikey Moore will die. There will be an orgy on the lower east coast.

Rachel, Keith, Moyers, and Jon will die. They'll probably get only a kegger or two to show for it.

World keeps turning. No one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRuffleburg View Post
    if by favorite you mean most depressing I think it was like a third of the people in south carolina want to outlaw interracial marriage...
    I believe Alabama was the last state to symbolically legalize interracial marriage, in something like 2001.

It's kind of amazing to think that outright slavery didn't start to come to an end here until around the 19 freaking 50's. Something like a 40% a year attrition rate on the work gangs; that was a sizable genocide. "I can pay half of the working class to kill the other half", indeed.
    Last edited by BryanM; 03-03-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    This is very much like Hitchens. Breitbart's willingness to get to confront large crowds is admirable, in my view. The critics on this board seem to have very selective filters for what is acceptable behavior. Do the rules change with the viewpoints of the person, or do you disapprove of people who make outrageous charges against all political opponents?
    Do they? I think you might recall I said Hitch was a douche, too. Brilliant, but a douche. I don't truck with Michael Moore, because he's a propagandist, and self important. Nor has any one here defended the comments by people hating on Breitbart. They're the product of humans reacting to someone who belligerently attacked their in-group, and therefore to be expected, and occur routinely on all sides of the political spectrum. Because there's humans involved.

Knee-jerk hatred of "the enemy", like all bigotry, knows no politics, and attempts to say that it does are just partisan nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    I didn't really read his site or pay much attention to him, but the NPR fundraising thing was pure BS as was the Sherrod thing which i'd forgotten about. Breitbart was practically as bad as Michael Moore. People like that are poison to intelligent and informed discourse and their only value to society is so that parents can point at them and tell their kids not to be like that.

or rabbis or pastors or school teachers or coaches or parents or teenagers or politicians or policemen or doctors or EMTs

Quote Originally Posted by BryanM View Post
    What makes me really psyduck
    psyduck remains the best.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post

Knee-jerk hatred of "the enemy", like all bigotry, knows no politics, and attempts to say that it does are just partisan nonsense.
    Maybe, if someone said it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 164 of 216 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154 162 163 164 165 166 174 214 ... LastLast