Page 388 of 479 FirstFirst ... 288338378386387388389390398438 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,880 of 4785

Thread: sking's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    \
    P.S. Sorry I was being a dick. You kinda left yourself open. I think your arms are pretty okay....
    That was sweet and made me laugh. No hard feelings. I'm going to start doing curls again this GPP cycle. I'll show you! ;-)

Default Thursday, 08/07/14

Singles starting at 405 with 25 pound jumps until heavy but confident. Using this deload week to try to build some strength back up after the SI injury.

Deadlift
    135x5
    225x5
    315x2
    405x1
    430x1
    455x1
    480x1
    505x1

I was feeling strong and hoping to go to 530, but 505 was a little harder than I thought it would be and the SI hurt just a little bit. Sent the video to Matt, and he said to just stop there, so I moved on to an easy recovery circuit:

GPP Circuit x4
    KB Swing
    GHD Situp
    GHR
    Banded TKE

Up to 455 I did tried to model perfect SS form, but with 480 and 505 I did a little more of a grip and rip, so they were much faster off the floor. Not really a grip and rip, but you can see my hips sink a little as I don't take the time to really squeeze it up.

Here's the last set:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl75XDqSqPw

480 was a bit faster, so I put that up too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKGgbb47YGA

Embed:

Default Friday, 08/08/14

Press
    45x10
    95x5
    135x5
    155x3
    165x2x2

GPP Circuit x3
    Inverted Rows x 10
    Pushups x 10
    Hammer Curls x 10
    Rolling DB x 10

A deload is supposed to be bar+45(s) only for 3x5 and no assistance. You're fucking it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    A deload is supposed to be bar+45(s) only for 3x5 and no assistance. You're fucking it all up.
    Well, it's a process Kyle. I'm working to get to your level, and that includes the level of apathy it takes for your impressive deloads.

Also, fuck you for aspiring to weigh less than me and make me look even weaker.

Pretty pissed that I didn't get to train at noon today. I'll have to wait until this evening. Sucks, but I'm really anxious to squat. I've got 2 very important weeks of transmutation ahead of me before I start realization into the meet.

On another note, I weighed 190.0 this morning. Actually I stepped on it a few times, because it kept reading 189.6 or .8

Waist was 37 5/8 though. I was a little lax at the end of a couple days last week and ended up taking a bit of a caloric cut, just because I wasn't hungry. I definitely want to put some weight back on before the meet, especially since my weight class is just < 200

Embrace the abzz

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Pretty pissed that I didn't get to train at noon today. I'll have to wait until this evening. Sucks, but I'm really anxious to squat. I've got 2 very important weeks of transmutation ahead of me before I start realization into the meet.

On another note, I weighed 190.0 this morning. Actually I stepped on it a few times, because it kept reading 189.6 or .8

Waist was 37 5/8 though. I was a little lax at the end of a couple days last week and ended up taking a bit of a caloric cut, just because I wasn't hungry. I definitely want to put some weight back on before the meet, especially since my weight class is just < 200
    Woah, you are 8 pounds under? Ever think about going back to 181?

Default Monday, 08/11/14

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Woah, you are 8 pounds under? Ever think about going back to 181?
    I've always competed at 181, and the plan is to put up a bigger total at 198. Also not to have to deal with a cut at all. I haven't experience that ever, so I'll definitely put weight back on instead. Plus for the crossfit total, there are only 2 men's weight classes. Less than 200 and more than 200, so....

I was up to 195 in March but was gaining a little too fast for my waist and cut back. It's definitely time to add carbs back in. I was actually 189 this morning after my high carb day yesterday, although that was after a long horrible sweaty evening in the garage last night:

Horrible way to start this block, but Matt talked me off the ledge so to speak. He pointed out that I've been injured for the better part of 2 months so not to be too discouraged. Also, I hate training in the evening. There's a good deal of stress in my house at the moment too. That probably played a big part.

Squat
    135x5
    225x3
    275x3
    315x2
    385x1
    435x1 add wraps
    465x0
    405x3
    385x3x2

2 1/4" Deficit Deadlift
    135x4
    225x3
    315x1
    335x2x6 in 7:20

2ct Floor Press with Chains
    117x5
    207x4
    257x3
    297x3
    277x3
    287x3
    Weight includes 72 pounds of chain.

Hyperextensions
    15, 12, 10

Unbelievable that this took from 6 to 9 in the evening. It sure doesn't look like that much work, but I did spent some time texting with Matt and I really want to thank him for looking at my videos and responding right away with advice, encouragement, and a contingency plan going forward!

My low back was just trashed after this, making for a pretty uncomfortable evening. I didn't sleep too well last night either, but the stiffness is already wearing off as I get around to my day. It's like it was after deadlifting Thursday, but it's recovering a little faster. I hope that's a good sign, and one of these days I will be able to squat and deadlift heavy without this feeling in my low back.
    Last edited by sking1001; 08-12-2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added date title

starting strength coach development program
    I've always competed at 181, and the plan is to put up a bigger total at 198. Also not to have to deal with a cut at all. I haven't experience that ever, so I'll definitely put weight back on instead. Plus for the crossfit total, there are only 2 men's weight classes. Less than 200 and more than 200, so....
    Gotcha. Totally makes sense. I remember you moving up in weight, so I was surprised to see you flirting with the 180's again. Yea-- no brainer on the CF total. I'd like to compete in one those again-- I'm a much better presser than bencher (percentage-wise and comparatively to others) for some reason.

Sorry, if I'm out of place here, but hyperextensions? As someone with a lot of back problems that is the last thing I would do, especially after deficits. Frankly, I think they are dangerous, especially if you are going into flexion at all. My rules are: absolutely no loaded rotational exercises for abs, absolutely no crunches and no back extensions. If you are going to do any ab stuff, make sure you can have an extremely neutral spine thru the entire ROM-- better yet don't do any ROM and make them isometric. The only low back exercise I do is lifting and honestly I don't think it's weak, if anything it's just too tight. I really don't think it needs direct work with the amount of pulling we do.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. This is based on Stuart McGill's attitudes about spine dynamics BTW in case you want to look into it. His lecture on "Butt wink" is pretty interesting. (He's got a few YouTube videos). I'm not 100% aligned with him, but I think his general approach is solid.

Tough way to start the block-- chin up and keep at it!