starting strength gym
Page 389 of 479 FirstFirst ... 289339379387388389390391399439 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,890 of 4785

Thread: sking's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Totally appreciate the input, Rob. I actually did them because they felt good. I dunno, maybe it's different because the original injury stemmed from the SI joint? Flexion actually felt really good last night. I did them on my GHD and got a nice stretch at the bottom. Actually my hamstrings started burning a little at the end. I only rested about 10-20 seconds between sets.

Crunches actually provide a little relief when I got the low back pump going too.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Totally appreciate the input, Rob. I actually did them because they felt good. I dunno, maybe it's different because the original injury stemmed from the SI joint? Flexion actually felt really good last night. I did them on my GHD and got a nice stretch at the bottom. Actually my hamstrings started burning a little at the end. I only rested about 10-20 seconds between sets.

Crunches actually provide a little relief when I got the low back pump going too.
    Yea, sorry, I kind of combined two things: my feeling about certain exercises and my attitude towards working the spinal erectors directly. Also, I'm not saying that flexion is bad per se, I'm saying moving in and out of flexion (to extension) repeatedly is bad.

I'm against those exercises (crunches and extensions) because I believe they are potentially problematic over the long term. Granted, you may be getting relief from them, but if the flexion part of the exercise is helping your back, I would just hang there, not moving, in flexion! (boring but a nice way to get some traction and relax the back)

It is my current belief that any exercise that repeatedly moves the spine from extension to flexion is going to eventually damage the discs. If you can do a crunch and not flex at all, more power to you but it will be a much shorter ROM and I have never seen anyone actually do it. By neutral, I mean dead neutral.

A friend likens these movements to a bending a credit card over and over-- eventually it will break. I don't think that's the best analogy, but the fact is when you extend you are squeezing the back of the disc and when you flex you are squeezing the front. Yes, this is what the spine was designed to do but not in the manner we do them in these exercises: for high reps, many sets and many, many times over the course of the year. The discs are not build for that kind of assault. That's really all I'm suggesting and why I avoid these things and focus on planks and isometric stuff for my ab work. And don't get me started on russian twists-- I totally fucked myself up with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Yea, sorry, I kind of combined two things: my feeling about certain exercises and my attitude towards working the spinal erectors directly. Also, I'm not saying that flexion is bad per se, I'm saying moving in and out of flexion (to extension) repeatedly is bad.

I'm against those exercises (crunches and extensions) because I believe they are potentially problematic over the long term. Granted, you may be getting relief from them, but if the flexion part of the exercise is helping your back, I would just hang there, not moving, in flexion! (boring but a nice way to get some traction and relax the back)

It is my current belief that any exercise that repeatedly moves the spine from extension to flexion is going to eventually damage the discs. If you can do a crunch and not flex at all, more power to you but it will be a much shorter ROM and I have never seen anyone actually do it. By neutral, I mean dead neutral.

A friend likens these movements to a bending a credit card over and over-- eventually it will break. I don't think that's the best analogy, but the fact is when you extend you are squeezing the back of the disc and when you flex you are squeezing the front. Yes, this is what the spine was designed to do but not in the manner we do them in these exercises: for high reps, many sets and many, many times over the course of the year. The discs are not build for that kind of assault. That's really all I'm suggesting and why I avoid these things and focus on planks and isometric stuff for my ab work. And don't get me started on russian twists-- I totally fucked myself up with those.
    Thanks, Buddy. I know you're looking out for me, and I appreciate it. I'm usually too short on time to do my accessory shit anyway, so I don't think we're in any danger, haha! I do use planks a lot, but I did rotate them with GHD situps and ab wheel rollouts for Saturday's GPP. I only did them for 8 1/2 minutes, but come to think of it, I was wondering if that might have inhibited my squatting some yesterday.

Default Tuesday, 08/12/14

I was pretty bone tired after work yesterday, but everything went well. 3rd reps were grinders on the bench though.

Competition Bench
    135x5
    185x4
    225x2
    275x1
    300x1
    280x3x3
    These are the top % ranges I was assigned. The first 2 reps on the triples were so much easier than the 3rd rep, because I was tired and gassed out more easily.

Press Lockouts
    135x3
    185x1
    215x1
    220x1
    225x1
    230x1
    235x1
    240x1
    These were done across the last 6" of lockout, so the bar started a little over my head. Last time I did lockouts they were at forehead height. 6 singles with about 120 seconds rest between sets. I just kept incrementing by 5 pounds trying to find something heavy.

Accessory
    BB Rows 3x10
    EZ Curls 3x12
    LTE 3x12

I don't like training in the evening, because that's the part of the day where I'm suppose to be winding down. The advantage of it is that I actually do have time to do accessory work, because I'm not trying to hurry to get to work. I've had thoughts of trying to go to work a lot earlier and training closer to 4 or 4:30. Hottest part of the day and all...

I feel a lot better this morning. Even the tendinitis that I've had in my right elbow from squatting LAST Monday that I chose not to whine about is better.

Just to be sure though, I'm considering an actual rest day today, skipping my GPP and conditioning for a nap instead : )

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    I feel a lot better this morning. Even the tendinitis that I've had in my right elbow from squatting LAST Monday that I chose not to whine about is better.
    This is funny because with every log post I have to decide which aches and pains to mention or not to mention. It's always a debate because I'm tired of talking about them, but they are worth noting and I have used my log to track issues… (and see when they actually ended or started).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    This is funny because with every log post I have to decide which aches and pains to mention or not to mention. It's always a debate because I'm tired of talking about them, but they are worth noting and I have used my log to track issues… (and see when they actually ended or started).
    I started to mention it, but I think I used up all my whine credit with the ingrown toenail and allergies, lol. The elbow has been pretty painful, but not under a load. I had to use my left hand to pick up a jug of protein, but I could still bench and press heavy and even do hammer curls. Pretty weird.

Yeah, logic would say we have to pick and choose the injuries we report, or people will start to think we're old. If I get attacked by a bear, I guarantee you THAT is going in the log!

Default Thursday, 08/14/14

Took the day off yesterday to help my son move back to college. Had to train in the morning on my high carb day....before any carbs. Really doesn't matter since my training was so limited, but I ended up just having a huge cheat day anyway. Burger, hot dog, ice cream, fried pie, pizza...

This continued disappointment is making me start to despair. If I had entered this log yesterday, there probably would have been some colorful language, but this morning I'm just kind of glum about it. The usually feeling getting out of bed in the morning is an SI that radiates a little burning sensation down my hamstring, making me walk a little funny. The low back really doesn't hurt anywhere near like it did in the past. In fact, I would hardly call it pain more than an annoyance. However, it just seems to be dragging out longer and longer. It's becoming less acute in the low back and more of a "pinching" feeling down my leg. Of course, if I were to push it, I'm sure I would feel more in my low back, but I keep having to shut down my training. It's terribly frustrating, considering I'm 6 weeks out from the meet. Hopefully I can press 350 pounds overhead to make up for it.

Deadlift
    135x5
    225x5
    315x2
    405x1
    480x1 pain
    365x1
    315x1
    Super disappointed with the way 480 felt. Was planning 515, which should have been easy too, but I knew it would have been a really bad idea. Planned to do 425 for triples instead of 455, but started to pull it and knew it was another bad idea. Dropped to 365 and it still hurt. Dropped to 315 and I knew I was done.

Paused Squat
    45x5
    135x4
    185x4
    225x4x3
    I wore a belt on the last 2 sets. Makes a really big difference.

Weighted GHR
    +10x8
    +15x8
    +15x10

Default Friday, 08/15/14

Left for "lunch" early to go to the chiropractor first, had to wait quite a while, and splitting up my work was not an option today. So I was gone from the office for a ridiculous amount of time, but I'll just work until 7 to make it up. I did all my work today.

Press
    135x5
    175x2
    200x1
    210x1
    195x3x3
    This all should have been easier, as I wasn't feeling at my best today, but hey that's kind of a rare thing anyway. That's what we hope for on meet day though! Anyway, these are still the top assigned percentages, 93% for the single and 87% for the triples.

Standing Dumbbell Press
    75's x 5 - too heavy to progress
    65's x 5 x 2 - a little too easy, but I'll increase next week

Accessory
    Weighted Chins +25x10, +25x8, +35x8
    Weighted Dips +70x10, +70x8, +90x7
    Hammer Curls 3x12 w/50's
    Okay, chins and dips are fun again! I haven't weighted them in a long time and was a little surprised at how heavy I was able to go. Hope to push it next week.

Also, my chiro said things didn't look too bad and it just takes time to heal. Trying to be patient. Matt said we'll stick to the plan but just take 20% or so off the lower body lifts for now.

This is the end of transmutation week 1. I'll do one more week like this, but heavier (for upper body) and less volume, then a deload, then realization into the meet.
    Last edited by sking1001; 08-15-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Probably most important to make sure your back is rested and feels good at the meet. Your deadlift strength will be there on meet day, even if you can't do much between now and then. Hope you heal up quickly.

Default sking's log

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    Probably most important to make sure your back is rested and feels good at the meet. Your deadlift strength will be there on meet day, even if you can't do much between now and then. Hope you heal up quickly.
    That logic really resonates with me, Kyle. Thanks for the input. I really value your advice!

Okay, so no more pissing off my back. Cutting back by 20% or so should do the trick. Honestly it will probably make squatting and pulling fun again, because they've been nothing but frustration this week, because my expectations were just.....wrong.