starting strength gym
Page 390 of 479 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392400440 ... LastLast
Results 3,891 to 3,900 of 4785

Thread: sking's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Yeah, logic would say we have to pick and choose the injuries we report, or people will start to think we're old. If I get attacked by a bear, I guarantee you THAT is going in the log!
    The bear thing made me laugh. The old thing made me cry. Too close to home dude.

What do you do for work?

Rough week of training man, I definitely feel for you (uh, cause I'm old and shit). I hope to load reduction provides the recuperation you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    The bear thing made me laugh. The old thing made me cry. Too close to home dude.

What do you do for work?

Rough week of training man, I definitely feel for you (uh, cause I'm old and shit). I hope to load reduction provides the recuperation you need.
    Thanks for all the support, Rob. I just need to be patient.

I'm a software developer. I started with this company when I was 19 years old in 1991. Was programming in C for DOS at the time. Mostly PC desktop signal processing applications through the years, but I've done a little web development and a good deal of C# .NET too. There's a little flexibility with my hours as long as I produce.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Thanks for all the support, Rob. I just need to be patient.

I'm a software developer. I started with this company when I was 19 years old in 1991. Was programming in C for DOS at the time. Mostly PC desktop signal processing applications through the years, but I've done a little web development and a good deal of C# .NET too. There's a little flexibility with my hours as long as I produce.
    By signal processing applications, do you mean audio? Like audio software processing? That's pretty cool you've been with the same company since you were 19. Very Japanese!

There's no loyalty (either way) anymore. I'd like to not change jobs for the next 20 years and retire from my company, but who knows, the industry keeps changing and it seems like layoffs are always one bad quarter away. I work in IT-- I manage the tech support for a very large web-dev-ad-design-marketing-mobile-digital-everything company. We did the design and back-end for Nike Plus and did the product design for Nike Fuel, plus we have a bunch of other huge fortune 500 clients. (Volvo, Microsoft, Beats, Samsung, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    By signal processing applications, do you mean audio? Like audio software processing? That's pretty cool you've been with the same company since you were 19. Very Japanese!

There's no loyalty (either way) anymore. I'd like to not change jobs for the next 20 years and retire from my company, but who knows, the industry keeps changing and it seems like layoffs are always one bad quarter away. I work in IT-- I manage the tech support for a very large web-dev-ad-design-marketing-mobile-digital-everything company. We did the design and back-end for Nike Plus and did the product design for Nike Fuel, plus we have a bunch of other huge fortune 500 clients. (Volvo, Microsoft, Beats, Samsung, etc)
    Sorry, made a tl;dr version - by signal processing I mean processing data for optical media:
    http://www.dcainc.com

By signal processing I mean modulating data in real time for applications such as optical discs masters, and more recently, various substrates for applications like microfluidics. In 1988 or so, we actually patented the first method for describing the data layout on the Compact Disc. We didn't invent the CD, but we figured out how to get the data on it, and we developed our signal processing applications on a desktop PC, reducing an entire room full of computers. We've led the way similarly with DVD and Bluray, also HD DVD before it lost the market to Bluray. We also developed the encryption and disc layout for the Microsoft Xbox program, from the original to Xbox 360, and Microsoft came to us in the desperate last months of the Xbox One launch to add a Bluray drive, when they were going to go discless.

The optical disc industry is fading out, so DCA has had to be more creative. We actually were working closely with Pioneer and their Electron Beam Recorder which could produce nanometer sized features for super high capacity hard drives, but they shut that down. We have another division now called Digital Media Solutions where we verify multiple audio and video streams for companies such as Netflix.

Default Monday, 08/18/14

Taking about 20% off for lower body as I try to get my SI/low back healed. Just standing was pretty uncomfortable after getting out of bed this morning, but it's more of a pinching/burning down my leg now. It gets better as I move around though.

I wore my Dudewins today, thumb over the bar neutral grip, channeling my inner Rippetoe with perfect SS form. Squatting is fun again. I wasn't going to use wraps with these baby weights, but then I decided that if I'm going to compete with them in 5 weeks, I need to continue to practice with them.

Squat
    45x5
    135x5
    225x4
    315x2
    355x2
    385x1 2.5m wraps, 7 revolutions
    355x3 2.5m wraps, 6 revolutions
    355x3 2.5m wraps, 6 revolutions
    355x3 knee sleeves (extra unprogrammed set)
    Obviously these were way too easy using wraps, but this is rehab. I forgot that I was only supposed to do 2x3 sets this week, so I did an extra set, which was maybe closer to an RPE 8 without the wraps.

2ct Floor Press with Chains
    117x5
    207x4
    257x2
    297x3
    287x3x2
    Weight includes 72 pounds of chain.

2 1/4” Deficit Deadlift
    135x4
    225x3
    275x2x6 in 7:14

Body weight this morning was 190.6. Per Jordan's suggestion, I'm going to keep my macros the same and continue to lean out. That way I can really push my body weight up going into the meet! I'm still eating about 2,964 calories on low carb days. My high carb days are Monday and Thursday, where I eat about 3,226 calories. Some days I slack at the end of the day if I'm too tired to eat, but usually I'm on point, especially high carb days.

Default Tuesday, 08/19/14

Kind of a meh day for bench. Might be because I did heavy floor press yesterday. It was weird because the first rep or 2 of my working sets went up pretty fast, then I just suddenly gassed out on the last rep. Of course I was experimenting with different ways of setting up flat foot. It felt awesome and super tight on the warmups, then some doubt and probably looseness set in on the work sets, so that may be another reason for not getting all my reps. Was suppose to be 2x3 after the single, but what I got was:

Competition Bench
    135x5
    185x4
    225x3
    275x2
    310x1
    290x2
    285x2
    295x1

Press Lockouts
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    230x1
    235x1
    240x1
    245x1
    250x1
    These were done across the last 6” of lockout, so the bar started a little over my head. 120 seconds rest between work sets.

Accessory
    BB Rows 3x10
    EZ Curls 2x15
    LTE 2x15

I'm really struggling with the amount of time training is taking. I was gone from the office for nearly 30 minutes before I even started my first warmup set, so there's some optimization that can be done there, but I don't always get me preworkout shake made ahead of time, and some days I'm pretty stiff (cuz I'm old) and need extra warmup time. I might have to play with 2 session per day. I'm really not goofing off, but I always seem to rush to finish in time. I also hate evening training. I wish someone would pay me loads of money just to train...

Regarding playing with my bench setup:

With my warmups, I started out just setting up like I normally do when I bench up on my toes but then just trying to force my heels down as I push against the uprights. Of course the feet have to come forward some as the heels come down. Now that I think about it, the warmups might have felt a lot better because I didn't have a belt.

I setup 275 the same way, but I added the belt and wrist wraps:

With 310, I changed it just slightly, in that instead of kicking my feet back so far like when I bench on my toes, I just put them down one at a time where I figured they would end up anyway. I don't think this worked as well. I was cramping a little bit in my right hip and this felt kind of loose:

The set at 285 was the most different of all. I filmed it from the side and I got all my weight back on my traps with my feet on the bench, then pushed against the uprights as I put my feet down:

Needless to say all this messing around with setup can take away from my performance, as it tends to wear me down. I wouldn't be doing all this experimentation if I were benching in the upcoming meet. However, there is an outside chance I might do a NASA meet in November, and they require flat feet. I'm still on the fence, but I like the feeling of stability with my feet flat anyway.

That would be lame if you didn't participate in November.

Default sking's log

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    That would be lame if you didn't participate in November.
    I know, Melody, I know. I really hope it works out, but it's a hard sell getting another hotel room just 7 weeks after the first, plus the added expense of the meet and Fed fees. And closing in on the holidays.

starting strength coach development program
    Meh