starting strength gym
Page 398 of 479 FirstFirst ... 298348388396397398399400408448 ... LastLast
Results 3,971 to 3,980 of 4785

Thread: sking's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    Can you believe it was 57 degrees outside today!
    I actually got to sleep with the window open! Yet I was still a sweaty mess at the gym.

Would chalk on the bottom of your shoes help with the slipping? I had that happen to me midset last week.

Yeah I tried chalk, but that didn't seem to help either. Hopefully that never happens at a meet! I would use my deadlifting slippers if all else fails. They're pretty grippy.

Only had time to squat at lunch, so I'll have to finish tonight. Squatted up to 470 though with a little more narrow stance and toes more forward. I'm really trying to work on my asymmetrical wonkiness. My right toe always wants to point out more, and I always want to lean to my right.

I think 470 might have been a little high, but there's also video of 460 and 425 on my channel, which were a little deeper.

Here's 470. Thoughts welcome!

I'm icing my back now. It's doing very very well, but there was a little pain today, and it was on my right side as well. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign, but I think it will be okay...

EDIT: a few more notes
    1) Abs cramped up pretty bad wrapping my knees on the last set.
    2) I'm struggling with the walkout/balance. This seems to take a lot out of me.
    3) I immediately knew I could have taken 470 a little deeper, but I think I just chickened out with my back hurting some.

Still fairly pleased with the way today went. This is the last heavy squat before the meet. I'll probably just take 455 or so next Monday and that's it.
    Last edited by sking1001; 09-15-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: a few notes

Got some time to watch the video a little slower. I can definitely see the bottom where my knees cave, so hips go back. I'm constantly working on that. I can improve on it with lighter weight Thursday, but it's just not the same as when it's heavy. I'm working on it though, and will be filming from the front for a while.

Focusing on pointing my toes in more is helping I think. Did it better with 425, but I gotta constantly watch the right foot.

I thought it looked pretty good and your knee cave wasn't bad. (less than before)
    Is your right foot angled out more than your left? I do that to compensate for lack of dorsiflexion in my right angle. I have to watch it.

I'm a little confused by your breathing pattern with un-racking. Can you leave the un-racking in next time? (You seem to start your video after that. You seem to have an extra breath and a longer pause after the un-racking than I've seen.

For reference, I take a huge breath, un-rack the bar, hold my breath, walk it back (3 steps), let the breath go while looking at the judge (and breathing normally) and when I get the squat command I take another huge breath. This is how i do it at the gym too since I try to do the exact same thing (sans judge and commands of course)...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    I thought it looked pretty good and your knee cave wasn't bad. (less than before)
    Is your right foot angled out more than your left? I do that to compensate for lack of dorsiflexion in my right angle. I have to watch it.

I'm a little confused by your breathing pattern with un-racking. Can you leave the un-racking in next time? (You seem to start your video after that. You seem to have an extra breath and a longer pause after the un-racking than I've seen.

For reference, I take a huge breath, un-rack the bar, hold my breath, walk it back (3 steps), let the breath go while looking at the judge (and breathing normally) and when I get the squat command I take another huge breath. This is how i do it at the gym too since I try to do the exact same thing (sans judge and commands of course)...
    Okay, this is why it is so good to have another set of eyes! You know how I said I was struggling with the walkout/balance, and it was taking a lot out of me? Well I could show you my whole setup, but what you would see is my taking a big breath to unrack, THEN letting my breath out and standing there for no good reason before taking another and walking out. I was thinking I need to speed up my walkout, and the breathing pattern you mentioned is what I need to do. Sometimes I'm just so stupid training alone there with my cat, that I can't see the obvious answer right in front of my face. I've been doing the same thing with my speed sets, but without the heavy weight, there's no struggle.

I'll fix that and show you the whole improved setup next time. And yes, I have to constantly watch my right foot, because it always wants to angle out more than the left.

Thanks, buddy. Between you and Dwayne, I'll get this fixed : )

Default Monday, 09/15/14

Okay, here's all of yesterday's training.

Squat
    135x5
    225x3
    315x2
    385x1
    425x1
    460x1
    470x1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swGgG28ZD0I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcuLGCblpl0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOFBSEQtLRE

Ran out of time and did the rest in the evening...

Speed Bench
    135x5x2
    185x2x8 EMOM

Fast as lightening. Felt like an empty bar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoCPVnVgzOw

Speed Deadlift
    135x5
    225x3
    315x2x3 EMOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhRWaCHCCBQ

GHR
    3x10

Default Tuesday, 09/16/14

Totally dragging today. All I wanted to do was take a nap. However, in my experience, these kind of days usually turn out way better than anticipated. I was not disappointed.

Press
    135x4
    135x3
    165x2
    195x1
    215x1
    200x2x2
    So 215 went up fairly easy, and the 2nd set of 200 was way faster than the first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK39Q7XJZps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YPoXgrOvtk

Press Starts
    235x1x3
    These were stronger than previous weeks.

Accessory
    Chinups 3x8
    Weighted Dips +32kg(70lb) 3x8
    Pushups 3x12

with regard to the squat. I think turning the toes a little more forward helped the knees to no cave as much...so yay me for that one LOL!

The right foot (left on video), is turned out more so that's why you lean more to that side. Its just a little but its noticeable. Overall much less knee cave-ey. Watch that right foot. Maybe set it first and then set your left. That way you put more energy into making sure that it is the way you want it. It's definitely going to take time and practice to change your habit; so don't dwell on it too much now with the meet coming up. Be mindful of it though.

If you have a "speed squat" coming up, maybe just really pay attention to the set up on each set and try to make it automatic. Progress is being made here so keep it up.

starting strength coach development program
    Shorter shorts next time. Dissappointed.