Page 404 of 479 FirstFirst ... 304354394402403404405406414454 ... LastLast
Results 4,031 to 4,040 of 4785

Thread: sking's log

Default Friday, 10/10/14

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post
    that volume on deads would beat anyone up. Fun stuff :-)
    Yeah, and I'm pretty sore today, but there is not even the slightest sign of my back injury!

So not too bad of a day today, considering my back is a little sore...

Bench vs Bands
    Doubled minis, adds about 70 pounds at the top.
    45x8
    135x4x2
    160x3x8 EMOM
    Moved my grip in a couple of inches to pinkies right inside rings for these today. Felt pretty good.

Press
    135x3
    165x2
    180x5x4 - volume PR
    Pretty tough.

Ultra-Wide 3 sec Paused Bench
    135x5
    185x5
    225x5
    235x5
    240x5 - PR I suppose
    225x4 + F
    Grip was 1/2" outside the rings. Had to hurry on the last set and ran out of gas. I'll call the 240 a PR, because I've never done 5's for these, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv3j7CPY-no

Always a rush against the clock. No time for accessory again. I had to straighten up some stuff in the gym when I came in, like a barbell that had fallen. We had 4.3 earthquake this morning, and the epicenter was less than a mile from my house.
    Last edited by sking1001; 10-10-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: specified grip for ultra wide bench

I've never done deads for volume. How do you like it compared to the one set with TM?

Default sking's log

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Texan View Post
    I've never done deads for volume. How do you like it compared to the one set with TM?
    Volume deadlifts suck, but they are definitely effective. Teaches me to grind (not like Darling Nikki)

TM was a long time ago for me. The transmutation blocks are actually a lot harder than the accumulation volume. I'm doing another mini cycle with just one week of accumulation, and I start 2 weeks of transmutation Monday.

Your squat and deadlift are quite a bit ahead of mine. I saw you squatted 380x5x5, and I was only able to pull off 365x5x4 Monday. I've also not been able to rep > 500 on my deadlift either....yet.

Ha to the purple rain reference!

Default Monday, 10/13/14

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Ha to the purple rain reference!
    : )))

I'm not sure what is wrong with me. My nutrition was not good Saturday and Sunday, but I wouldn't think it would affect me like this. Maybe it did. Sunday I slept a lot and then even went to bed early. I slept all the way through the night pretty hard and still felt tired this morning. Then I'm struggling just to keep my eyes open at work.

So I wasn't really expecting a lot in the gym. It took me an hour just to do squats, and it was less than I was assigned. I was supposed to do a heavy single and then 14 more reps in the 81-86% range. I skipped the 90% single and just went to my triples after the last warmup at 415. Then with the planned 4's @405 I was only able to get triples.

Time is becoming a real problem for me. I really didn't want to skip my sumo deadlifts, as this is the only day they are scheduled, but I just didn't have the time:

Squat
    135x5
    225x4
    315x2
    385x1
    415x1 added 2m THP wraps, 7 revolutions
    425x3x2
    405x3x2 loosened wraps to 6 revolutions

And that was it. I still feel like going back to bed.

Default Tuesday, 10/14/14

Well today pretty much makes up for yesterday. I kind of expected this, because it's bench, but I pretty much killed my bench at the top %'s..

I made up for the sumo deadlifts that I missed yesterday. I was a little leery of doing this the day after squatting, but it went really well, and I counted my top set as a PR for sumo. There was a little form breakdown on that set with my hips shooting up, but Matt helped me to understand the difference between a real sumo deadlift and the way I was pulling, which was more like doing a wide stance conventional deadlift. I sent him video of my 315 warmup, and he corrected me by getting my butt down and shoulders back. The difference was like night and day. Dat sumo feeling...

Competition Bench
    135x6
    185x5
    225x3
    275x1
    290x1 super, super easy
    275x3x2
    265x4x2
    All pretty easy. Legit pauses. Definitely a lot left in the tank.

Sumo Deadlift
    135x5
    225x5
    315x3
    405x4
    415x4x2
    445x4 - PR

It seems like I'm still a little uneven in that the bar tends to drift forward on my right side. The position of my hands against my legs still feels very awkward, and my grip was pretty troublesome on the top set. Pretty happy all things considering:

1st set @405:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doKpVTzbg7c

4th set @445:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_4xIBJRg14

Glad you are feeling better, Monday sounded like hell…

I had the same problems with Sumo-- the hands in the way and unevenness with the bar. I'm quite happy to be back at conventional, but for me it seemed pretty clear I wasn't going to be adding weight (over my conventional) anytime soon and I like the feel of the conventional better. Hope you have better luck with it than I.

Cheater.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Israel View Post
    Glad you are feeling better, Monday sounded like hell…

I had the same problems with Sumo-- the hands in the way and unevenness with the bar. I'm quite happy to be back at conventional, but for me it seemed pretty clear I wasn't going to be adding weight (over my conventional) anytime soon and I like the feel of the conventional better. Hope you have better luck with it than I.

Cheater.
    Yeah, I'm still way more comfortable with conventional, but I might be able to pull more sumo...time will tell. Sumo feels very strange, but it also seems like there is less chance of missing once I get it moving. At this point, it seems like I'm able to do about the same weight with either. For now.

Also, I wasn't sore at all this morning.

Default Thursday, 10/16/14

Deadlift
    135x8
    225x4
    315x3
    405x1
    455x1
    500x1
    465x3
    455x3
    445x4
    425x4

Paused Squat
    135x4
    225x4
    275x4x2
    315x4 add belt
    No sleeves, and no belt until the last set.

I tried to pull SS style with less back flexion today. So 500 felt terrible and slow. I kinda gave up on it as I went. I'm sort of disappointed with today, and after grinding the last rep at 465, I was cursing. It should not be this hard. I think my problem is that I'm basing my deadlift percentages off of a 555 max, and I don't think I could pull 555 these days to save my life. That was back in February. I suppose I need to re-evaluate where I am on lower body lifts. I haven't squatted over 475 in a long time either.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I see guys like Mac pulling even further ahead of me, and he's like a dinosaur. I guess there's more to life than lifting, right? It seems like I peaked earlier in the year and my expectations are just too high. Except for bench. I guess some old men like me just want to lie on there backs and lift.

Maybe time to get the T levels checked...I dunno.

starting strength coach development program
    Matt also reminded me that I'm coming off a pretty significant injury. So there's that...