starting strength gym
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Barbell Training is Big Medicine

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Luchesar View Post
    Hi. My name is Luchezar, and I am from Bulgaria. I want to share with you that in our National Sports Academy we have professor Pavel Dobrev who is using barbell training to help people of old age, up to ninety years old for their quality of life with big results. He has free trainings in the mornings in 7:30-8:30 am for all who desire to participate.
    Outstanding. Thank you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    Very inspirational article Dr. Sullivan.
    (snip)

I started Benching, Squatting, Pressing, Rowing, and doing Chins and Dips on an assistance machine. After about 3 months of heavy compound exercises, at my last Dr appointment, I was 255 lbs, had a fasting BG of 105 and an a1C of 6.3%...he was so impressed he said I dont have to come back until August, and at that point we will take a look at discontinuing the Metformin.
    You're the one who's inspirational, Bill. Thank you for sharing this. Don't stop now.

It's really sad the state of diabetes education in the US. Resistance training wasn't even discussed, when it is the best thing you can do.
    We're working on it.

Dont worry, I am not going anywhere. My goals are to get everything to non diabetic levels and be off of medication...although Metformin seems relatively safe from everything I have read.

Default This is huge

Chronic resistance training activates autophagy and reduces apoptosis of muscle cells by modulating IGF-1 and its receptors, Akt/mTOR and Akt/FOXO3a signaling in aged rats
    Li Luoa, b, A-Ming Lua, Yan Wangb, An Honga, Yulan Chena, Juan Hua, Xiaoning Lic, Zheng-Hong Qinb

Experimental Gerontology 2013; 48(4)427–436

Abstract

Resistance exercise training (RET) remains the most effective treatment for the loss of muscle mass and strength in elderly people. However, the underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms are not well understood. Recent evidence suggests that autophagic signaling is altered in aged skeletal muscles. This study aimed to investigate if RET affects IGF-1 and its receptors, the Akt/mTOR, and Akt/FOXO3a signaling pathways and regulates autophagy and apoptosis in the gastrocnemius muscles of 18–20 month old rats. The results showed that 9 weeks of RET prevented the loss of muscle mass and improved muscle strength, accompanied by reduced LC3-II/LC3-I ratio, reduced p62 protein levels, and increased levels of autophagy regulatory proteins, including Beclin 1, Atg5/12, Atg7, and the lysosomal enzyme cathepsin L. RET also reduced cytochrome c level in the cytosol but increased its level in mitochondrial fraction, and inhibited cleaved caspase 3 production and apoptosis. Furthermore, RET upregulated the expression of IGF-1 and its receptors but downregulated the phosphorylation of Akt and mTOR. In addition, RET upregulated the expression of total AMPK, phosphorylated AMPK, and FOXO3a. Taken together, these results suggest that the benefits of RET are associated with increased autophagy activity and reduced apoptosis of muscle cells by modulating IGF-1 and its receptors, the Akt/mTOR and Akt/FOXO3a signaling pathways in aged skeletal muscles.

Sully,

This isn't related to barbell training, but I was curious if you're familiar with the name Aubrey de Grey. Computer Scientist turned Biologist turned theoretical?Gerontologist with some unconventional and innovative ideas/hypotheses regarding aging and living a life free of age-related disease. Lots of videos of him on youtube (a documentary, TED talk, debates, etc) stirring up the scientific community.

An overview of his ideas here:
    http://www.sens.org/research/introdu...-sens-research

I know nothing about the subject apart from what I've seen from him, and it's fascinating and intriguing stuff.

Not familiar. Will check it out if I have time. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Outstanding. Thank you for this.

You're the one who's inspirational, Bill. Thank you for sharing this. Don't stop now.

We're working on it.
    New labs today.... Fasting blood glucose 101 a1C 5.7%

Young guys... dont ever stop training.

Fat old guys... no excuses. You can do it.

Dr gave me the option of dropping from 2 to 1 Metformin pill a day but I like how it blunts my appetite, and I have about 20-30 more pounds to loose. Down from 300 at diagnosis to 250 or so, depending on glycogen levels and the like. I'd really like to get down to about 225, and improve my insulin senstivity some more before discontinuing medication.

Holy shit!... I've been pretty good with the sweets and stuff, not partaking due to the diabetes, but the other night I was jonesing for some ice cream, so I had a 2 scoop dish.... just for the hell of it I took 4 readings spaced at 30 minutes apart after eating the ice cream. My blood glucose peaked at 102 at 90 minutes and then went down... I think I am getting back a lot of my insulin sensitivity from lifting.

Not going to use this as an excuse to get fat again, but it's nice to know that I can have a treat here and there.

Barbells really are the best medicine going.

I'm taking a Biology class online, and a question I asked prompted the instructor to ask me if I know what apoptosis is. "Holy shit, that's what Sully talked about in that article!" So I linked it to a bunch of people in an online class. Who knows what the response will be, but I still think it's pretty cool that I got to link your article while doing homework.

*bump to top*

starting strength coach development program
    I have to disagree with the Dr.I'l use the easiest example first and that is Jack Lallane. Lallane proved that by exercising and living a clean life from alcohol,cigarettes and obesity that you "can" extend your life and to say otherwise would be less than truthful.Have people lived longer who didn't follow his example....yes,but less then those who have followed it.The Japanese have proved that a diet high in seafood rich in omega 3 acids can extend your life.Also, look at the Frammington heart study done in Massachusetts.Those who had higher HDL,lower LDL,Less inflammation markers such a C-reactive protein lived longer lives.It's also true that a controlled carbohydrate diet and a calorie restricted diet can also extend you life.Remember,there are no guarantees in life but if you follow sound information your more likely to live longer.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast