starting strength gym
Page 12 of 201 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle's PL log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    8/7

Bench up to 315x2. Was supposed to be 3x2 and I just had nothing today. Stopped after 1 set. I know what's wrong. First, I haven't been doing enough work. I need to stop doing 3's every week. It worked for 2 training cycles and worked well, but now I need more reps. Second, I have lost a lot of muscle from my chest and shoulders in the last few months and deposited it on my belly. My squat and deadlift are doing great. Don't need to revamp anything there. But I've got to put on some muscle. I am about the least jacked 198 lb lifter through the chest, shoulders, and arms I see when I attend meets. My back and hips are pretty jacked, but I don't have the muscle mass to lift much weight on the bench. So, I will be easing off the heavy weights on bench for a while, instead opting for more reps and more assistance work. I hope this will pack some muscle on my shoulder girdle and eventually help me lift bigger poundages. To that end...

Incline Db bench 90x10, 95x8, 100x6

Pullups bw+ 40 2x6, bwx10

Curls 105 3x6

--Prob will just handle like 250 for 3x8-10 on bench next week and build from there. But every week I will hit a semi-heavy (300ish) bench before I start the volume work just to ensure I don't become more of a pussy at singles.. Definitely will be doing a shitload more assistance work for upper body. I basically do none now other than lat work.
    Last edited by KyleMask; 08-07-2012 at 06:56 PM.

I would love to add 20 pounds to my bench. Sounds like you know yourself very well through a good deal of experience. I've thought about focusing on 1 lift per day like 5/3/1 sometime, but I'm afraid of only squatting and benching once per week. I'm about 9 weeks out from my next meet, so I'm thinking about ending this cycle early so I can plan things a little better.

Thanks for sharing.

I honestly spend maybe 1 hr per year planning my training. I don't enjoy training, and I don't enjoy thinking about training or programming. I just do it because I don't want to be a weak bitch. I think a lot of people spend too much time thinking about trivial details when it comes to programming. I will say that, although 5/3/1 didn't work for me, training each lift 1 day per week has worked fine. The key is to make sure that volume is high enough each day.

8/9
    Squat 405x6 (PR! hard), 345 2x5
    Press 165x8,8,7 (FUCK, WEAK)
    Pullups 3x10
    Abs 4x5

The squat was very tough, but I probably could have done one more if someone had a gun to my head. I unracked it unevenly and didn't notice until I came up corkscrewed with the 1st rep. But no point in re-racking. Shit like this happens in meets, too. Might as well learn to deal with it in training. Fortunately I have the strength from years of strongman training to power through shit like this. My friend said the reps were all two inches or so below parallel and I kept my arch well (I have a tendency to GM stuff when I get tired). Pretty happy with this squat.

Thanks for sharing your approach to programming, man.

No problem, Tom. I obsessed about this stuff from the time I was 15 until I was about 18 or 19. I read everything I could about great lifters and different kinds of programming. And finally I recognized a trend: most of the great American powerlifters and strongmen use ridiculously simple programming. Obviously, the eastern Europeans use much more complex methodologies. And they work. But we have produced Ed Coan, Bill Kazmaier, Jon Kuc, etc. I concluded that any *reasonable* plan will produce pretty much the same results as any other, provided the lifter works hard.

8/14

Bench 245x8,8,10 (pretty easy, even the last set)
    Pullups bw+45 3x5
    Incline dumbbell bench 90 3x10
    One arm dumbbell row 120 2x15

--Skipped pulls yesterday. I had only been planning to do speed pulls anyway, but my back has felt a little beat up and I think the best thing is to rest it for squats Thursday and then a 530x5 deadlift next Monday. Bench felt pretty good today. I stayed a little lighter than I originally planned b/c my sleep last night literally was this: fell asleep at 10:49 pm, woke up at 11:43 pm. Yeah, not quite an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleMask View Post
    Basically it looks like this, Steve:

Monday: Deadlifts. Heavy deadlifts every other week. I usually just pick a weight and go for a rep PR (NEVER using anything I can do for more than 6 reps or so. My deadlift plummets if I don't pull something 85% of my max or heavier every other week). This cycle I did something a little different. I picked a PR weight for 5 reps, then 2 weeks later hit a 4 rep PR, then 2 weeks later hit a 3 rep PR, then 2 weeks later hit a 2 rep PR. Now I will take 2-3 weeks away from deadlifts and start a new cycle w/ 5 reps 5 lbs over where I started the previous cycle. This plan got a little thrown off by a pulled hamstring this cycle, but essentially I hit the following lifts: 525x5, 545x4, 565x3, 585x2. Next cycle I prob will do 530x5, 550x4, 570x3, 590x2. For assistance after heavy pulls I do either snatch grip deadlifts or sumo deadlifts, working up to a heavy set of 3-5 reps (something like snatch grip pulls 225x5, 315x5, 405x5, 425x3, which gives me some volume). Every other week when I don't pull heavy, I do speed pulls w/ about 55-60% of my max plus 150 in band tension at the top for 6 sets of 2, followed by paused front squats (just pick a weight and work up to a rep PR). I feel like these help me at the bottom of the deadlift.

Tuesday: Bench, I added about 20 lbs to my bench in 2 training cycles doing the following (although now I'm regressing): Week 1 6 sets of 3 (I just pick a weight I can do 1 set of 6-7 with), Week 2 5 sets of 3 w/ 10 lbs more, Week 3 4 sets of 3 w/ 10 lbs more than the previous week (start adding in a back off set or two of 8-10 reps this week for extra volume), Week 4 3 sets of 3 w/ 10 lbs more than the previous week plus back off set(s), Week 5 3-4 sets of 2 w/ 10 lbs more than the previous week plus back off sets, Week 6 2x2 w/ hopefully 10 lbs more than the previous week, Week 7 hit a 5-10 lb bench PR

Thursday - Squats. I start a training cycle with a weight that I think I can do for 5,5,8-9 (started with 365x5,5,8 this cycle). The last rep of the last set should be difficult, but I should leave one really tough rep in the tank. I add five pounds a week, always shooting for a rep PR on the 3rd set with a given weight. Eventually I work my way down to 3 sets of 5 (ended up at 400 for 3x5 this cycle). This takes me to where I am now. I will be hitting a top set of 5, adding 5 lbs/week, then doing a few back off sets of 5 for some volume with a weight close to where I started the cycle. Once 5 reps gets too hard, I move to a heavy set of 3 and keep doing my back off sets for volume. Once 3 reps get too hard, I go to singles for a few weeks and keep doing my back off sets for volume. Once I hit a new max, I'll start the next cycle 10 lbs over where I began the previous cycle.

Presses, I just do what I feel like. I haven't really been trying to progress them. But I ought to.
    Solid programming and training philosophy for sure. I'm probably going to have to try and run your deadlift regimen for a cycle or two, maybe my shit will finally start moving again.

I hope it works for you. Accumulating volume has never worked for me on the deadlift. I just have to hit a PR every 2 weeks or so for 1 set, then back off w/ some assistance work.

I'm about to get very serious about my training. I'm 30 years old and I'm tired of messing around with poor nutrition and poor sleep. It's time to see what I can do and quit wasting good years of my health giving half-assed effort. Will be getting that in order. In the meanwhile, my training will basically look like I outlined previously. Here will be my training days:

Tuesdays Deadlifts
    Weds Benches
    Fridays Squats
    Saturdays Presses (going to start making some progress on these)

8/17

Squat 410x5 (ties PR, hard), 350 3x5
    Deadlifts 225 2x5 (just to keep form tight until I pull heavy Tues)
    Abs 3x10

--Pretty decent day. I had to use a skinny barbell with a lot of flex/spring to it for squats because nothing else was available. To hit my rep target with this thing truly was a miracle. Might stay at the same weight next week and shoot for 6 with my regular squat bar. But, all things considered, not a bad day.

Gym was pretty cool tonight for once. Guy working in on squats with me hit 405x2. A 165lb dude hit a 355x3 nice oly squat. He does crossfit but can C&J 305, so, yeah, he's def not weak. Then the dude who benches close to 5 raw was doing high rep LTEs with 225. Pretty much the whole gym watched that.

Oh yeah, will be in Atlanta for the Braves game tomorrow so I won't be training. After that, I don't foresee a reason to miss a session for a while.

8/21

Deadlift 530x5 (5 lb PR for 5 reps. Very, very difficult lift)
    Sumo deadlift 315 3x10
    Ab pulldowns 3x10

--Good day today. The 530x5 was super hard, but for not having pulled in 3 weeks and for this being the beginning of a new training cycle, I am pleased.

starting strength coach development program
    Solid pulling, congrats on the PR.