starting strength gym
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: KSC's Log

Default KSC's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As of today I am gonna keep my training log over here for you guys to view and ask questions on. I will try and keep it updated and include videos when I can.

Thursday 2/16

Dynamic Effort Bench Press

3 x 185
    3 x 205
    3 x 225 x 8 sets
    3 x 205
    3 x 185

then.....

1 x 275
    1 x 295
    1 x 315
    1 x 335
    2 x 355

Standing DB Press

10 x 75
    8 x 75
    8 x 70
    10 x 65
    10 x 65

Standing One Arm Tricep Extensions

2 x 12 x 30 lbs

Speed work felt very very explosive, but damn left elbow flared up again as it always does during DE training. Just ignored it today and pushed through. Pretty happy with the 355 double. Probably had three in me today but I didn't want to get pinned since I was training alone.
    Last edited by stef; 05-22-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff

Looking forward to the log.

Can you provide a little background on yourself?

Thanks!

You'll have to be a little more specific with your questions.....or you can peruse my old log in the "Competitive Training Logs" forum.

Friday 2/17

Chins - 5 sets

Dynamic Effort Squat (10 inch box)

12 x 2 x 315

Power Cleans (on a 30 second clock)

15 singles w/ 235

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Power Cleans (on a 30 second clock)

15 singles w/ 235
    Aha! So I AM doing my speed work correctly :-)

Saturday 2/18

Conditioning

1 hour of intervals on the treadmill (everything done at highest incline, just varied speeds)......ouch.

50 Supine Rows on the Blast Straps, broken over several sets

Thurs 2/23

Today officially starts day 1 of training for the WFAC invitational Squat/Press/DL meet on Oct 6. Hopefully this will be the motivation I need to get my ass back into serious training mode. I've been a lazy slacker for too long.

Right now, I am gonna train 2 x week, on Wednesday and Friday. This is pretty much what my schedule will allow me. Hopefully over the summer I can find a little more time and bump to 3 or 4 days per week of training.

Press

5 x 5 x 207.5

Close Grip Bench Press

3 x 5 x 275

French Press

5 x 100
    8 x 90

Cable Pressdowns

15/12/12 x 60 lbs

Diet has been shit leading up to today, but I went to the store this morning and stocked up on all my diet food. Will try and post meals in the log as well.....mostly for my accountability, not your education or entertainment.

Yo Andy,
    I was following your log for about a month prior to the great forum implosion. As I recall your 2012 goals were related to pressing and Deadlift, correct? Are those still your primary focus now you are training for the invitational?

Also, inquiring minds probably want to know:
    Age, height, weight.
    How long you've been training. 1RM's and when you did them.

Also, perhaps you wouldn't mind your sharing your approach to meet prep when we are this far out.

Yes, prior to learning about this meet my 2012 goals were basically revolving around driving up the press and the deadlift. Having this little meet to prepare for is great because it doesnt change those goals at all. Only thing different is that I need to focus equally on the squat and be ready to PR them at the same time.

At 33 weeks out my main goals are to get my bodyweight closer to where it will be on meet day which is 198 lbs (assuming standard weight classes). No use setting press records at 220 lbs, cuz you won't be albe to replicate that 20 lbs lighter. As I get closer to October I will make sure I am squatting, pressing, and DLing all in the same workout to ensure I am conditioned enough to handle the meet. This is a largely overlooked aspect of powerlifting in my opinion.

I am 30 years old, 5'4, and currently weigh about 225. Competition weight is 198 lbs.

PRs:

Squat 529 (belt & knee wraps in meet). At the time (2010) this was an N.A.S.A. Unequipped American Record.

Bench: 380. Also at the time, this was an N.A.S.A. Texas State Record, have done a 405 touch n go Bench in the gym

Deadlift: 562

Press: 255

Got my first coaching job as an intern at age 19, coaching high school and middle school athletes at summer strength & conditioning camps here in Houston. In college I worked as a trainer at a Golds Gym for 3 years.

I joined the Marine Corps in 2003 (left college as a junior.....real smart I know) and stayed in until 2007. From 2003 through 2005 I was deployed to Iraq twice so training career got put on hold for a while.

When I returned to the states in 2006 I was lucky enough to get to work at one of the gyms on Camp Pendleton for my final year in the Corps.

Since I only worked 2-3 days per week at the base gym, I took two jobs in Orange Country. One as a trainer at a high end Personal Training Studio in San Clemente, and the other at a sports performance complex (think velocity) in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA. Did both of those jobs for a little over a year.

When i moved back to Houston in 2007, I bounced around a few different gyms here and never really found a home that I liked. I opened my place in late 2007, early 2008 and have been here ever since.

Not the most interesting story, but there you go.

Here are two videos from Nationals in 2010.

529 Squat (American Record): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAFt0...p2m8E1YmYU1JCT

562 Deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmUVr...endscreen&NR=1

Didn't get a video of the bench press
    Last edited by Andy Baker (KSC); 02-24-2012 at 07:50 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    That competition squat was incredible. I can't imagine that you could have gone any lower even if you wanted. Reading about your lifting history and experience is pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast