starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Marty Gallagher

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I like how you mentioned the training for the military. I'm not in anymore, but I never liked doing high-rep sit ups, push ups, and 2 mile runs. I used to watch skinny guys do something ridiculous like 100 bad form push ups and think they were something special. Once I got high enough in rank to get away with it, I always went to the gym instead of doing the normal PT. But that's old times now! Thanks for the great interviews!

I think Rips heart broke when Marty said
    "If you had come up in our environment... with your wrist thickness and bone structure... it would be no problem being a champion lifter"

This video part 3 really put it into perspective.

I'm constantly surrounded by guys squatting 40kilos in my gym, and I'm easily the biggest squatter at 140kilos :| Just got to keep pushing it up.

"The problem you have, is that you are just too little"

"Eat your way through the sticking point"

Good advice, great interview. Gold mine of training knowledge Thanks

I learn a ton each time I watch an interview with Marty, and all three interviews were pure gold.

Marty is awesome.
    In one of the first two parts, he talk about McCallum and a program that lasts 12 weeks.

4 weeks of the following...

work up to a set of five with an 8 rep back off set,

next four weeks is a triple with a five rep back off set,

the last four weeks is a single or double with a triple back off set.

Does anyone know this program? It sounds great and could use some help organizing it.

I spent six months last year providing support work to a SOCOM unit in Afghanistan. Interestingly, most of the guys I worked with we're older operators and I would estimate that as a group they spent about 75% of their collective workout time lifting weights and the remainder doing cardio type work. Although in many cases their cardio was kettle bells and sprints. I could count the number of times I saw guys doing high rep pushups and situps on one hand.

For fun they mentored one of the Naval admin guys in weightlifting. The got this young man up to a 500 pound deadlift in about five months. He later said the got him his best run time ever.

It's so true what they talked about, how everyone's retarded about abs. Everyone now just wants to be skinny and do weird shit in the gym, I mean they'd like to call it bodybuilding in the gym, but it isn't bodybuilding if your primary concern is to be skinny.

What's sad is that, where I live, no one knows shit about sports, weightlifting, or conditioning. I don't know if I'm the only one, but literally everything I've learned about bodybuilding is from this forum, and from the book, it's kinda lonely and sad for me because I don't know anyone who isn't mentally retarded in my gym that I can be friends with. Literally, no hyperbole, 99% of the gyms in the small country I live in, are commercial gyms like Planet Fitness or some other form. A fitness trainer here is just some guy who got a cert from a cereal box, who's there for middle aged women to rent for an hour and make small talk with. The 'serious' gyms here, are all bodybuilding gyms, save for the national weightlifting association and some other gym that costs '$300 USD' a month to train at. I guess I'm just kinda sad that I there isn't any gyms like Mark's where I live, a gym that caters for people who want to become strong where I live, literally everything I've learned about form and weightlifting is from SS and this forum.

/End rant.

Part 3 is a great video. The point that hit me: we just don't see big lifts in the gym. I am not that strong, but I have almost always been the strongest guy in the gym. The heaviest squat I've ever seen is mine, at a paltry 425. The heaviest bench I've ever seen is mine. I saw a kid deadlift 500lbs once, which was a big motivation to me, since my deadlift stinks.

What's great about the SS website is that it exposes us to feats of strength from ordinary folks. It raises the limits of the possible.

Thanks for the interview!

Re: part 3 in the interview. I think it was mentioned you should aim for a 1.5x bench, 2x squat, 2.5x deadlift vs. bodyweight.

How far up in bodyweight would this typically be applicable? Following SS I see myself hitting 110 kilos bodyweight within a relative short span. Which would mean a 165kg bench, 220kg squat and a 275kg DL.

Lifts I've only seen on youtube, never in real life...

My question is, would these lifts be expected by a 110 kg guy, lifting for a few years, or are we talking a very impressive performance? I should perhaps mention I'm 33.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf123 View Post
    Re: part 3 in the interview. I think it was mentioned you should aim for a 1.5x bench, 2x squat, 2.5x deadlift vs. bodyweight.

How far up in bodyweight would this typically be applicable?
    Those lifts have a 200 lb. guy in mind. The ratios drop as your bodyweight goes up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf123 View Post
    What about the OHP, what's the equivalent?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast