starting strength gym
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Beaverbob's Log: Implementing the ideas of those much stronger than myself

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    @ Bradley and Mr. Rogers: Thanks for pointing that out. I work out at a local YMCA, so I really have no idea if the markings are Oly or Power. I am happy there are markings at all, but no centre knurling unfortunately. Reading my post again, I think I was unclear in my writing, owing mainly to my ignorance about bar rings in general.

I think a better explanation for epiphany would be my grip used to be like this:

grip-too-narrow-300x177.jpg

And now it is like this:

correct-grip-width-300x177.jpg

For some reason there are three rings on the bar in the picture, but the bar at my gym has the ring where the middle ring is in this picture. I THOUGHT that max width meant your pinky had to be inside the ring. Now I realize that only some part of your hand has to be covering the ring, in this case, like the woman in the photo, the index finger. Long way of saying I figured it out. Now I have no excuses for not getting my bench up.

@ Mr. Rogers again: PRs are coming slow and steady, amazing what happens when you DTP haha, or at least make an effort. PS Fellow Canadian, who do you have to win the Cup this year?

*Images courtesy of Lyle McDonald

Hey Bob! Your general stats are pretty similar to mine (age and all that), so I'm gonna follow your workouts. Though you seem not to have the inexplicable trouble with the squat that I have. Keep it up!

Log

17/5/2012

SQ: 295* 5, 275 5/5

BP: 170 5/5/5

PC: 115 3/3/3/3/3

Notes

SQUAT: Ah, humbled by my own ego. Recall from my last workout where I unintentionally made a 10lb jump and PR, I walked into the gym standing tall last night. I did get 3 decent reps at 295lbs, rep 4 was a struggle, and rep 5 felt like the most difficult rep since I started the program. I barely made it to the top, but I did make it. I felt pretty light-headed and shaky after that, and made the executive decision to knock the weight down to 275 for the other reps. I think I'm at the point where I need to throw in a light day to my workouts, as I wasn't feeling fully recovered from my Tuesday workout. I notice when I come back to the gym after missing a day, my strength dramatically improves and I can usually hit the next 5lb jump no problem. Probably time for me to place an order for Practical Programming. On a positive note, while I still had 295 on the bar just catching my breath after my set, I noticed some highschool kids whispering and pointing at my bar and trying to do the math on their hands. They seemed impressed, so yeah I'll take it haha.

BENCH: Hit 170 just fine, time to move up to 175. Bench is a slow grind for me, but 175 will be a PR if I hit it.

POWER CLEAN: Really focused on my technique. I probably did 5 warm up sets with 95 trying to get the movement dialed in. I read somewhere to flex your triceps as a cue to keep your arms straight and not reverse-curl the bar up, and this definitely helped. I felt like I made progress last night. At 115, I had 2 or 3 reps that just clicked and everything felt right. My goal is to now replicate that feeling. Work in progress, but ready to move up in weight again.

Quote Originally Posted by beaverbob View Post
    @ Mr. Rogers again: PRs are coming slow and steady, amazing what happens when you DTP haha, or at least make an effort. PS Fellow Canadian, who do you have to win the Cup this year?
    The second pic is more like what Rip wants in the book (if I remember correctly), that being a vertical forearm at the bottom of the rep. You should notice a HUGE difference going forward (and you won't have to move the bar over a longer distance). Any chance you're going to the SS seminar in TO?

I had my Jets going all the way (very thankful they're back in the Peg) but that didn't last long lol (I'll be honest, the Leafs have more talent). My 1996 adopted Flyers had a good shot but they fizzled after the Penguins series. I'll have to go with the Kings, but only because they have one of my favourite players (Mike Richards)...and I love the way Sutter has them playing. To me the Jersey/NY series is a toss up. That Kreider kid is impressive though. Hard to say who'll make it from the East.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 05-18-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Log

29/5/2012

SQ: 275 5/3/2

OP: 120 5/5/4

DL: 315 5

Notes

GENERAL: I returned to the weights after a short hiatus due to work/travel. I'll be honest that I needed the time off mentally and physically. I have been eating well to fuel my recovery, almost too well. While people have asked me if I started "working out" I have also noticed I was getting a little too fluffy in the belly. In among those 2 ish weeks off, I did hit the gym once, but I was battling a weird stomach flu and the workout was a wash, not worth recording.

I have a Spartan Race coming up in just under a month and I need to get my conditioning up. I also have reached the point where I think a light squat day will aid my recovery. That said, the next three weeks will be NDTP. I will still hit the gym 3x a week and follow SS protocol, but I realize the extra conditioning (mainly running and interval sprinting) will seriously tax my recovery. I am okay if my progression slows down or even stalls. I will pick back up where I left off once Spartan Race is over.

I still have my goal of reaching the 1000 pound club, and I intend to do it on SS LP. Once I reach my goal, I will look into something like 5/3/1 with extra squats.

Anyway, feels good to get it all out there. I will not quit, I will not fail. My first workout back was obviously a bit of a struggle, but it felt good to get under the bar after almost 2 weeks off. My squat suffered most, but my deadlift felt surprisingly good. Could this be because I went light on the squat and had gas in the tank for the DL? Seems like it.

Log

30/5/2012

5k run, brisk pace
    Hill sprints

31/5/2012

BP: 170 5/5/5

Dips: BW 10/9/6

Plank: 60 seconds 3

Notes

I think this is the first time since starting SS that I've been to the gym without squatting. My legs were toast from the 5k and hill sprints the previous day, which had not full recovered from the previous day, my first day back in the gym after a 2 week break. Decided to give them a rest for once. Went to the gym at a different time today, as work is getting crazy and I need put in extra hours at home. I hit the post-work rush hour. Getting a bar and finding some space to PC was not in the cards.

I am happy with my bench though, 170 has been a sticking point and the 3x5 today seemed easy. A little rest does the body good. I also did some dips to complement the bench.

While I was waiting around for some work deliverables to come through, I did some stretching and hit the rumble roller. I feel good now, ready for a session on Saturday, back to normal progression.

Log

5/6/2012

SQ: 275 5, 245, 5/5

OP: 120 5/5/5

DL: 320 5

Notes

SQUAT: Still struggling on my squat, although I shouldn’t be surprised. I can get 275 for 5 but it is a serious grind and I feel as if I couldn’t get more than 2 reps on the next set. I’ve been hitting 275, and then dropping it down a bit. I will keep increasing my drop down sets by 20lb until I’m at 275 across.

OP: All good sets, moving up to 125.

DEADLIFT: 320 felt great. After my break, I deloaded back to 315, but it’s apparent that I didn’t really need to. My squat suffered from the time off, but my deadlift did not. I will keep marching along at 5lb jumps for this one.

Log

6/6/2012

7k run, interval training

Log

SQ: 275 5/5/5

BP: 175 4/4/4

PC: 120 3/3/3/3/3

DIPS: BW 10/10/7

Treadmill intervals

Notes

SQUAT: Felt good, actually surprised myself. The first 5 were a bit of a grind, but not bad. The next two sets however felt easier than the first. I really focused on kicking my butt back and keeping a big chest, in addition to widening up my grip and my stance a bit. Time to start moving up again.

BP: My gym does not have microloading plates, so I’m going to microload with reps instead; I think I mentioned I am doing the same thing for my press. I will be honest; if I had a spotter I probably could have achieved the 5th rep on the first two sets. I need to grow some balls and learn to ask for help when needed.

PC: Still focusing on form, always an issue. This is a placeholder exercise for me. When things get less busy for me later this summer, I will seek out professional coaching. There is a SS certified coach in my area and I want to get a few sessions in with him.
    Last edited by beaverbob; 06-08-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: forgot to add dips

9/6/2012

Log

SQ: 280 5/5/4

OP: 125 5/4/4

DL: 320 5, 365 x 1 (1 rep PR)

PLANKS: 2 x 1 minute

Notes

SQUAT: Again, focusing on kicking my hips back as the first step in my movement. This seems to help. The squat felt really good overall. I worked out at 9am this morning, after a pot of black coffee with some black metal on my iPod. I normally work out in the evenings, and last time I worked out was Thursday night, so I had 36 hrs recovery from my last workout. I felt strong this morning, but I suspect that was the cause of the last missed rep.

PRESS: Altered my technique a bit to get further under the bar, and that really helped. Confident I can get all reps next time.

DEADLIFT: My work set went up almost too easily. I was feeling good and no one was in the gym to rush me so I took off the 5lb plates and slapped on some 25lb plates (hence how I got that arbitrary number). Belted up, and pulled for one. It was not easy, but it was certainly not a long hard grind.

This was really my first time testing my 1rm on anything. I liked it for a few reasons.
    *A) I now have a sense of what the weight feels like as I work up to it for my 5rm. Knowing this, I'm going to try some walkouts on my squat with about 10-20 lbs more than I will be lifting.
    *B) It's a little ego boost. I know my DL is small potatoes compared to most of the guys here, I did push myself to new limits, and accomplished an objective goal. Knowing this means I'm going to hit the weights with full confidence and fury next workout. /End philosophy section.

starting strength coach development program
    11/6/2012

Log

SQ: 280 5/5/5

BP: 175 3/3/1

PC: 120 3/3/3/3/3

DIPS: BW 10/10/7

Notes:

SQUAT: Squats continue to feel better, I'm walking away feeling it in my hams and glutes, and not so much in my quads. When I previously hit 280 the reps were all a grind. This time around, I'm descending much quicker, allowing me to make better use of the stretch reflect. All is well on the squat front

BENCH AND POWER CLEAN:

Last edited by beaverbob; 06-12-2012 at 06:50 AM. Reason: forgot dips again

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast