starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Programming for a Diet

Default Programming for a Diet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    KSC, I recognize that this is probably not the sort of inquiry this forum is intended to handle, but I also hope that, with the breadth and variety of clients you work with, you might be able to offer some helpful insights.

I started SS (well, NDTFP since I omitted powercleans -- Oly lifting is not allowed at my gym) in September 2011 at 152 lbs. I'm 5'8 - 5'9. I eventually stalled on LP and decided to try out TM, which I found to work well for me, and I enjoyed it. I gained 40 lbs during this time, but settled back down to about 187-188 and have been there for some time, while continuing to make gains.

I had set goals for myself of 300x5 squat, 200x5 bench and 315x5 DL before dieting off some of the excess fat I've picked up. Last Friday, I hit the first two goals and exceeded the third, hitting all-time PRs on all three. Wonderful feeling, but also meant time to diet.

My questions for you are: what programming do you recommend for someone running a calorie deficit, with the goals of maintaining strength and LBM? How much conditioning work can I include without endangering my strength?

My understanding is that the best bet is to cut the volume, and possibly cut the frequency, of heavy work, while trying to keep the weight on the bar the same. Given that I was doing TM, what would you recommend here? I workout 3 times per week, in the early mornings, so I have roughly an hour to an hour-fifteen per.

Thanks in advance

I actually like to keep frequency fairly high on the lifts so that you stay very accustomed to doing the lifts as your weight starts to drop. Keep reps to 5 and below as you generally aren't going to get much out of high rep work at this point.

My own preference is to cut out fats and keep carbs and protein moderate. You need at least one high calorie cheat meal per week. Preferably the NIGHT prior to your hardest workout.

Cardio - maybe 20-30 mins 3-4 x week. Post training or on off days....I like an elliptical or incline walking on treadmill. Doesn't seem to affect recovery much.

Thanks for the response, Andy. I'm still trying to iron out the details of this shift from running TM to something strength-preserving while running a deficit. I used to do deadlifts on my squat intensity day, so I am moving that around so that deads are on my "light" day for squats (Wednesdays). I'm not sure how recovery will work out, because with low calories, I always feel pretty fried.

I've kept reps to 5, no reason for me to do anything else. I've had extra time in the gym from lower volume work, and have done some additional mid-rep accessory work, but not a whole lot. I'm working on incorporating some moderate cardio work as well.

Thanks again for the input. Dieting is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    I actually like to keep frequency fairly high on the lifts so that you stay very accustomed to doing the lifts as your weight starts to drop. Keep reps to 5 and below as you generally aren't going to get much out of high rep work at this point.

My own preference is to cut out fats and keep carbs and protein moderate. You need at least one high calorie cheat meal per week. Preferably the NIGHT prior to your hardest workout.

Cardio - maybe 20-30 mins 3-4 x week. Post training or on off days....I like an elliptical or incline walking on treadmill. Doesn't seem to affect recovery much.
    This is a bit old, but how high a frequency do you prefer for squats, deadlifts, bench press, and press? Once weekly? Twice? Three times? Once light and once heavy?

Thanks a lot.

2-3 times per week for squats, once for squats, 3 pressing workouts (any combo of bench and press). I squatted twice heavy, once light, and then eventually cut out the light squat day and had 2 heavy days, one high volume and one low volume.

The arrangement is probably highly individual but I do believe in the frequency being high.

I assume you mean once for deadlifts? So would you suggest something like a reduced volume Texas Method? Say:

Mon- Volume
    Squat 3x5
    Bench/Press 3x5
    Chins 3x5

Wed
    Light Squat (optional) 2x5@75% of Monday
    Press/Bench (Medium) 3x5

Fri
    Squat 3RM or 5RM
    Bench/Press 3RM or 5RM
    Deadlifts 3RM or 5RM

Plus a little accessory work (rows/dips/RDLs) as it fits. Do you think this would be too much volume on a moderate diet?

Yes, I meant deadlifts.

I did the following when I started my diet:

Squat 5 x 5
    Bench 5 x 5
    Goodmornings 1 x 5

Squat 3 x 5 - light
    Press 5 x 5
    Powercleans 15 singles

Squat 5 x 1
    Bench 5 x 1
    Deadlifts 1 x 1

I did this for several months as I recall while my weight steadily dropped. As I got closer to contest time I did this:

Mon
    Bench 5 x 5
    Press 1 x 5

Tues
    Squat 5 x 5
    GM 1 x 5

Fri
    Squat 5 x 1
    Bench 5 x 1
    Deads 1 x 1

That is the gist of it anyways. Big cheat meal was always on Sunday night. And I mean BIG cheat meal. Should have a 7-8 lb gain overnight. This got me through volume day(s). However, my weight was back down by Friday and I did my singles at a lower body weight.

Thank you. I am just hoping to take off some body fat opposed to make weight for a meet, so I am more concerned with overall LBM preservation opposed to 1RM/singles (which I have rarely done). Given that would you still recommend the singles or would continuing to try for 3/5RMs work?

When running on low calories the singles are easier than sets of 3 or 5......in my experience.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    When running on low calories the singles are easier than sets of 3 or 5......in my experience.
    Thank you so much. At risk of trying your patience: are they singles across?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast