starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Youngster with 30 year old Arthritic Ankle SS log

Default Training Update May 19, 2012

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Finally a decent week of training. My squat has been crappy for a while. I don't know if it is a mental barrier or what but I can't conjure the testicular fortitude to move past 285. I changed my squat routine to ramping up to 1 heavy set of five at the beginning and the end of the week with a light day in the middle. We'll see how it works.

Tuesday

Squat 285 3/2

Press 153 3x5

RDL 155 3x10

Chins BW 3x5

Thursday

Squat 225 2x5

Bench Press 230 3x5

Chins BW 5/5/3/2

Glute-Ham Raise (GHR) BW 3x5

Saturday

Squat 285 1x5 then a back-off set at 225 1x8

Press 155 5x3

Deadlift 335 1x5

Default Training Update June 2, 2012

Not this last week but the week before that I had a lot of things get in the way of training. Tuesday May 22nd was good but I missed the following two sessions due to chores, laziness and other crap. I have been toying with my program for 2-3 weeks now making excuses for not nailing down my squat at 285. I did 290 for 4 but I feel like I have more in me I just need to eat plenty and get after it. So I did. This week I reset my squat to 275 and hit three workouts and I nailed 3 sets of 5 at 285. The last rep was a real grind. But the last time I had a grind like that it was at 280 so I certainly improved. Sometimes there is no excuse and you just have to get things done. I got stuff done this week.

Tuesday

Squat 275 3x5

Bench Press 230 3x5

Deadlift 345 1x4.8
    I got 4 solid reps but the 5th rep didn't get locked out all the way. I'll hit this weight again next week.

Thursday

Squat 280 3x5

Press 155 3x5

Chins BW 3x5

RDL 160 3x10

Saturday

Squat 285 3x5 Oh Ya!!!

Bench Press 235 3x5

Chins BW 3x5

Here is a video of my recent Deadlift and Squat PRs. The deadlift was done in the evening when I can control the music (Dropkick Murphy's). The squat was done on a Saturday afternoon with my daughter watching "Mighty Machines" in the background. I think its great that my kids appreciate the awesomeness of heavy machinery like bulldozers and skid-steers but the "voices" they use for the different pieces of equipment didn't quite capture the moment of my squat PR. Whatever.

http://youtu.be/QQoLPXgKB48

If you watched the video you notice I don't even get my knees all the way out over my toes. This is from my severe in flexibility. In some ways it serves me well because a lot of people have trouble getting their knees too far out. I also think it makes my squat a bit more hip dominant which really helps drive up my deadlift.On the other hand I can't front squat because of the flexibility issue so I don't have plans for Olympic lifting in the near future. Perhaps I'll learn the split clean and split snatch. Not really a concern now.

I have tried stretching it in the past and it just led to really really really bad pain the next day. It inflamed everything near my ankle. My doc basically told me the lack of cartilage in the anterior portion of my ankle joint makes dorsiflexion really hard. This is the precise area that is described as osteoarthritic. I can do the lifts I really care about right now and I walk around mostly pain free if I ice it at night and take my ibuprofen. So it could be worse.
    Last edited by Dillman; 06-03-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Awesome video and congrats on the PRs. I was chanting "go go go" on those DLs. Do you still ice every night or just nights you have lifted? We bought these cold cuff things - -they look like air casts and they come with this little hose and a Coleman cooler. You fill up the coleman cooler with ice and water then fill the sleeves up with the ice water and they completely fit both my feet like boots . . I should probably use them more often. Big Fist Bump on those PR's.

Default icing

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Broke_Legs View Post
    Awesome video and congrats on the PRs. I was chanting "go go go" on those DLs. Do you still ice every night or just nights you have lifted? We bought these cold cuff things - -they look like air casts and they come with this little hose and a Coleman cooler. You fill up the coleman cooler with ice and water then fill the sleeves up with the ice water and they completely fit both my feet like boots . . I should probably use them more often. Big Fist Bump on those PR's.
    I never iced consistently just after surgery. I couldn't feel it doing anything. After thinking a bit I realized why I couldn't feel it doing anything. The nerve responsible for sensation in the ankle and top of the foot was damaged during surgery so I am numb in that area. It sounds really stupid and I really can't believe I didn't think of it earlier but I didn't. So anyway I had been reading about inflammation and talking with people about dealing with it and I kept hearing ICE ICE ICE. So I finally did it one night last week and the next day my ankle wasn't nearly as sore or tight in the morning. I just do it for 20 minutes or so then go to sleep. It really makes walking around much less painful/annoying. I try to do it every night but I forget sometimes.

Lifting has never hurt my ankle only really long walks on rough terrain, or stretching.

I am taking a group of scouts backpacking in Wyoming in 1.5 months. I'll have to work on walking around more. Hopefully this time around with the ice the inflammation won't be as bad.

My dad had one of those pumps with the cuffs when he had shoulder surgery. I think that would be really convenient. I keep having the ice bag slip around and get stuff wet.

Good luck man. More PRs next week.

It is amazing to finally be able to talk with someone else who has experienced the same type of injury - -I could have written what you just did regarding not thinking ice was doing anything -- and thanks to you I came across the understanding alot quicker . . friggin nerve damage. . .and I got a bunch. I am the same way with the ache and pains - -lifting doesn't do it - -uneven ground does . .thanks man . .I'll keep an eye out. Where abouts do you guys call home? I am from West Virginia, but after 25 years in Lexington, a wife and 6 (soon to be 7) kids I am as much from Kentucky as I am from back home. You?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Broke_Legs View Post
    Where abouts do you guys call home? I am from West Virginia, but after 25 years in Lexington, a wife and 6 (soon to be 7) kids I am as much from Kentucky as I am from back home. You?
    I am from Utah originally. Now I live in Iowa while in grad school. Who knows where we'll end up after this. I don't really care as long as they send me a decent paycheck every once in a while. 1 wife 2 kids with 1 more one the way.

Default Training Update June 9, 2012

Missed Tuesdays workout because I was helping some neighbors move. Thursday and Saturday went great-ish.

Thursday

Squat 290 1x1 Failed on second rep. I don't think my head was in it at that point.
    285 3x5

Press 157 3x5 PR

Chins BW 3x5

Saturday

Squat 290 3x5 PR

Bench Press 2405/5/4 missed the last rep. My form had deteriorated a little by the last set.

Deadlift 350 1x5 A solid 5 reps! PR

Congrats on the deadlift: that's solid.

What's your bodyweight at?

Freakin right, bro!! Awesome job!

starting strength coach development program
    I am at 211 as of a day or two ago.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast