starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Youngster with 30 year old Arthritic Ankle SS log

Default Training Update June 17, 2012

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Between family visiting and laziness on my part I have made a habit of training twice a week rather than thrice a week. Given this habit, I am going to implement a new twice a week training program which I will detail in the next post.

Thursday

Squat 295 3x5 PR

Press 160 5/4/5 PR

Chins BW 3x5

RDL 165 3x10

Saturday

Squat 300 3/3/2 PR

Bench Press 250 for 3 PR, 245 for 3, and finally 240 for 3. (I was hoping for a good 3x5 but I clearly over-reached)

Deadlift 355 1x5 PR Last rep didn't quite make it to lock out.

Default Training Update June 23, 2012

New training regimen. Lifting twice a week using these two workouts. It is an intermediate type of program and has parts of the texas method integrated in it. It was given to me from Andy Baker of Kingwood Strength and Conditioning. You can read the discussion here.
    A

Squat work up to a 5 RM then do a back off set of 10-15 reps

Bench Press work up to a 5RM then do 2 back off sets of 8-12 reps

RDLs or Banded Good Mornings 3 sets of 10 reps

Body-weight Dips super-setted with Barbell rows

B

Squat light 5 sets of 5

Press work up to a 5RM then do 2 back off sets of 8-12 reps

Deadlift work up to a 5RM then do a back off set of 10-15 reps

LTE super-setted with Barbell curls

I will do workout A on Mondays and workout B on Thursdays. I'll be working on chins every week day. Instead of sets across I do sets when commercials are on. Chins respond well to high frequency training so I do them daily at get 15-20 reps in per day. Going to a lower frequency of lifting heavy allows for more recovery time which I need since I am going to be going on a backpacking trip in a few weeks. So to prepare for the backpacking trip I will be doing some conditioning on some of the off days.

This week I did this new program without any conditioning. The extra back off sets are very taxing and the extra upper body work burns and leaves me pumped. It seems appropriate that I get the burn and pump at a University gym amongst a bunch of sweaty guys grunting to cheat curls and doing 1/4 squats with the bar up on their neck. I have been working out at home so long I forgot about this stuff. From my observation weight training can never be blamed for injuries that occur in the gym. That is like blaming drivers ed teachers for killing people in automobile accidents. IT IS THE IDIOTS MOVING THE METAL AROUND THAT ARE TO BLAME!

Anyway I didn't realize the gym closed at 11 pm (last time I was here it was open until like 12:30). Because of this I had to split workout B into two days. I ended up getting a PR on the deadlift so I wasn't too upset.

Tuesday

Squat 305 1x5 PR, then 225 1x11

Bench Press
    240 1x5, then 185 1x10 and 1x8

RDL 170 3x10

Dips BW 4x5

BB Row 135 3x5

Friday

Squat 245 5x5

Press 160 for 4, then 1201x8 and 1x9

Saturday

Deadlift 365 1x5 PR, then 250 1x10

LTE 45 3x12

BB Curl 55 10/8/8 I wanted to do 3x10 but I couldn't do it. I was surprised at how hard these were. I guess anything new is usually not easy.

I'll include the conditioning stuff next week.
    Last edited by Dillman; 06-23-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added link

Default Training Update June 29, 2012

I again ended up shifting my workouts around due to my inability to wake-up to an alarm. I am starting to do my workouts in the morning and I don't know that I like it. I also worked out with partners this week. Training with like-minded people is very good for the morale and overall energy of the workout. I liked it.

Tuesday

Squat 310 1x4 PR, then 230 1x10

Bench Press 245 1x4, then 185 1x8 and 1x10

Dips BW 4x6

Barbell Row 140 3x5

Glute Ham Raise BW 3x8

Thursday

Squat 255 5x5

Press 160 1x5, then 135 2x8

Friday

Conditioning Workout 1

Recumbent Bike Tabata 6 legit intervals 2 required 30 seconds of rest. This was way hard and left me breathing hard for 10-15 minutes afterward. I am looking forward to completing a full tabata. I plan on getting lots of weird looks from all the other folks on bikes slowly pedaling along while I just about collapse onto the handle bars after each interval

Saturday

Deadlift
    375 1x5 PR

Lying Triceps Extension 55 3x10

Barbell Curl 59 3x8

I think I'll alternate heavy deadlifts with RDLs every other week. The last rep was way hard to lock out. If I alternate as written above and include my week off in Wyoming I'll be able to hit 405 by early to mid August. That would be sweet!!!

I will post the deadlift video shortly.

Default Deadlift 375

Here is the deadlift video proof. I trained at my friends house/garage last night. We had just about every weight in the collection in use including a pair of my 45s. I think the bar looks cool with the plates decreasing in diameter like a cheesy gym advertisement. It would look cooler with 5 or 6 plates (45s) on there but that will have to come later.

Last edited by Dillman; 07-01-2012 at 08:30 AM.

More training.

Monday

Squat 315x3 PR, then 235x10

Bench Press 245x3, then 185 10x2

Dips BW 7x4

Barbell Row 145 5x3

Conditioning Workout 2

Burpee Tabata Totally gassed and wheezing at the end.

Thursday

Squat 260 5x5

Press 165x4, then 135 8x2

I got way off balance at the top of the first rep. I think had that not happened I would have nailed all five reps. I suppose I'll do that next week instead.

Deadlift
    385x1 PR then 315x5

Lying Triceps Extension
    60 10x3 (EZ-curl bar)

Barbell Curl 65 8x3

Saturday

Conditioning Workout 3

Burpee Tabata Totally gassed and wheezing at the end. I tend to jump off of my left leg much more than my little weak right leg. I can tell by how pumped/sore the left leg is in comparison to my right leg at the end of the four minutes.

Good for you man - -keep crushing those PR's. They took all of the hardware out of lefty. I noticed something you mentioned about getting a little sidetracked during the press and it throwing the whole shebang off . . the same thing happens to me as well..it is amazing what a large part that focus, attention, concentration and the mind play in our training success. Much props for even jumping at all with the Burpees . .it scares me to death, thinking about jumping . . lol

Thanks Brian. I am hoping to deadlift 405 the day before I leave to Wyoming. We'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillman View Post
    Thanks Brian. I am hoping to deadlift 405 the day before I leave to Wyoming. We'll see how that goes.
    well it is the day before I leave and I did not deadlift 405. Apparently life got in the way again.

You'll get it home slice . . . here is a little something to get you motivated.

This is what happened to the last dude that "missed" 405 before going to Wyoming . . tread lightly grasshopper . .. but never give up Daniel-son.

Default Training Update July 19, 2012

starting strength coach development program
    Last two weeks have been okay. We (the scout group I work with) had a practice hike last Wednesday and the uneven terrain really did a number on my ankle. That prevented me from training for a few days. We'll see how Wyoming treats it.

Monday

Squat 315x2, then 245x12

Bench Press 245x5, then 185 12x2

Dips BW 8x4

Barbell Row 150 5x3

Wednesday

3-5 mile hike along the cedar river. Incredibly sore ankle afterwards and lingered for a few days kept me from training.

Saturday

Our homeowners association built some flower beds for some untis using landscaping blocks. I geuss the digging and lifting and hot weather made it somewhat like a training session.

Monday

Squat 225 5x5 I have a problem squatting asymmetrically. I am deloading and really focusing on squatting equally from both legs for a few weeks. Hopefully with this deload I'll be able to bust into the mid 400's in a few months.

Bench Press 250x3 (tried for 5 but failed on the fourth rep, then 185 x13 and x11

RDL
    185 5x3

Thursday

Squat 230 5x5

Press 170x2, then 135 8x2

Deadlift 315x5I am also deloading on the deadlift so I can work back up using the hook grip instead of the alternate (mixed) grip. I don't like the twist in the shoulders I get from the alternate grip.

Friday

Drive to Wyoming.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast