starting strength gym

View Poll Results: What were your bench press 3x5 work set weights (in pounds) at the end of SS

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 200

19 33.33%
  • Between 200 and 225

14 24.56%
  • Between 225 and 250

15 26.32%
  • Between 250 and 275

3 5.26%
  • > 275

6 10.53%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ending Linear Progression Bench Press Work Sets Poll

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I do see a lot of people start to stall out somewhere in the vicinity of body weight.

It seems I ultimately stalled at around 200lbs on bench at a weight of 180ish, but I did some cutting so that skews the results a lot.

There are certainly people who can push way further, but it doesn't shock me that <200 is the most popular choice though.

I am still going with 215 being my last work set. My body weight is 203.5 so I certainly am not limited to a body weight bench. For you guys that stopped LP below 200 was your bench above or equal to your body weight?
    Do you think you were DTP or had problems getting sufficient recovery (sleep, food, etc)? For me my kids often screw up my sleep. Also do you think your age (if you are older than 35 or 40 perhaps) reduced your recovery capacity?
    Not trying to pick on anybody or a group just curious what factors, other than the weight getting too heavy, led to stalling on SS LP type of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillman View Post
    I am still going with 215 being my last work set. My body weight is 203.5 so I certainly am not limited to a body weight bench. For you guys that stopped LP below 200 was your bench above or equal to your body weight?
    Do you think you were DTP or had problems getting sufficient recovery (sleep, food, etc)? For me my kids often screw up my sleep. Also do you think your age (if you are older than 35 or 40 perhaps) reduced your recovery capacity?
    Not trying to pick on anybody or a group just curious what factors, other than the weight getting too heavy, led to stalling on SS LP type of training.
    I wasn't DTP weight-wise. Didn't want to get too fat.

Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    LP only ends when someone running it starts feeling too fat.
    lol this is the real truth and nothing but the truth so help me god.

First time around, I was able to do linear progression up until 195 lbs in 5 lb increments, in about 3 months, then I reset and blew the achilles.

Post surgery, I did linear progression in 5 lb increments from 165lbs up to about 185, microloaded up to 205, and did triples up until 215, then reset back to 185.

After the reset, I did LP in 5lb increments up until 235, then microloaded and did triples up until 242.5, where I am now. I'm probably going to stall completely somewhere around 250, I think.

Maybe another good poll would be: How much did everyone get out of the SS linear progression on bench?

I would imagine that this may show more of what you are looking for since everyone will have a different starting point based on their previous activities and what not.

Following the standard 3x5 on bench I improved by around 50 lbs on bench...and about the same on presses.

Quote Originally Posted by KONG View Post
    Maybe another good poll would be: How much did everyone get out of the SS linear progression on bench?

I would imagine that this may show more of what you are looking for since everyone will have a different starting point based on their previous activities and what not.

Following the standard 3x5 on bench I improved by around 50 lbs on bench...and about the same on presses.
    Better question would be, as was stated above by Dillman is:

Did your bench max out above or below yoour BW?
    Or more encapturing - Did your bench max with 10% either side of your body weight (allows for weight increase and partial cuts during program)?

LP only ends when someone running it starts feeling too fat.
    No, it ends when you can't add more weight to the bar every workout.

SR and his brother are the only guys i've seen that have remained lean and got ridiculously strong on LP. It's either genetics or meticulous attention to diet, he did mention he ate the same thing everyday
    I am eating the same thing everyday and being meticolous with my diet, but my bench hasn't skyrocketed. So genetics or other things seem to be very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillman View Post
    Bench was almost bodyweight for 3x5. I was DTP, even though I had a severe case of elbow tendinitis from squating. I added around 45 lbs of bw during my LP. Age at the time: 26.

starting strength coach development program
    I have twice got to 110kg for significant periods of time, both times my body weight was around 80kg. The first time I was in the Army in the early 1990s, I don't remember what sort of programming I used if any, probably it was the four million pushups we did.

The second time was earlier last year, I'd started with the empty bar and if I could complete the target reps, added 2.5kg next workout. I first missed reps around 80kg, I think this was the "bodyweight barrier" which people encounter in bench and squat quite often, psychological. I just spent a month adding sets of 1-3 reps until I got to something like 5,4,10x3, and then I was able to do 82.5kg 3x5 with ease. The weight flew up without trouble then until 95kg, so I did the same again, it only took two weeks this time, then steadily up to 110kg. To be honest I did a single set of 5 with 110kg, and repeated this weekly for 6 weeks then stopped.

Probably I could have gone further but I was content with matching at 39 what I'd done at 22, and really I don't give a shit about bench press anyway. I doubt I could have gone a lot further, my squat was only 140kg after all, and I have never actually attempted anything heavier. But whether the mind fails or the body fails, either way you fail. So we can say I failed at 110kg, or 243lbs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast