starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Olympic Weightlifting Strength Training?

Default Is Olympic Weightlifting Strength Training?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

When American weightlifting coaches remind us that the Olympic weightlifters from other countries are using steroids and we’re not, they are actually reminding us that they are stronger than we are.

Article

Resources Page

Very interesting read. would it be better to pose questions to Rip here or in his Q+A?

I believe you have answered every question that I have tried asking several OL coaches which many have ducked or had inadequate answers for. I would like to send this article to every OL coach in the US and see what they have to say. How long did it take you to write this? Thank you for this.

So let me get this straight... In order to be stronger, you must first get stronger?

/sarcasm

Thanks for the insight Rip! Maybe they'll get their heads out of their butts by 2016.

Great article. I am not an OL by any means, just an interested fan of all strength sports and to see our national program fall so far since the decline of the York days is truly sad. Hopefully some of Rip's message will start to sink in on some level with coaches who have the guts to try something different. As the article points out, what do we really have to lose?

Let's get ready to rrrrumble . . .

A great article, many thanks. The concept is simple, yet profound. Olympic lifters are just that, lifters, and as lifters they need to raise their absolute strength if they're to dominate a power based sport.

Yet you have to find the point where additional time spent for increasing strength would be better spent on increasing efficiency of previously gotten strength.

That is absolutely true. Is a 200k squat/no deadlift at all that point?

starting strength coach development program
    Lol obviously no, even I can do that yet I am far away from being strong enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast