Intermdiate with Speed Programming Question
Hi Andy, I am an intermediate lifter (exhausted linear progression several months ago) and am trying to organize my current routine (have been working on it for several weeks).
MAIN QUESTION: I have never programmed speed work before and am wondering if my setup (essentially westside based) is reasonable/too ambitious/has any holes. Thank you for your time.
PRs: 340 Bench, 425 Squat, 465 Deadlift
Stats: 6'3", 280
Monday Heavy Upper
- 3 heavy bench singles, with the top usually being a PR attempt. Rotate normal/wide/normal/narrow/etc grip each week.
- 3x8-10 dumbbell bench
- 3x8-10 seated dumbbell press
- 3 sets chins or rows
Tuesday - Heavy Lower
- 3 heavy singles, with the top usually being a PR attempt. Rotate Squat/haltings/squat/deadlift/etc each week.
- 3 sets GHR
- 3 sets weighted sit-ups
- 3 sets weighted back extensions
Thursday - Dynamic Upper
- 8x3 Speed Bench (60-70%)
- 3-5x5 Regular Bench
- 3x5 Press
Friday - Dynamic Lower
- 10x2 Speed Squat (60-70%)
- 10x1 Speed Deadlift (75%)
- 3-5x5 Regular Squat
I would do something more like this:
1) Rotate a bench variant for a 1rm (flat, incline, close grip, special bar, etc)....then 85% of that days lifts for max reps (should be between 5-8)
2) Chest Exercise
3) Triceps Exercise
1) Squat variant for 1rm (regular, box, front, special bar, etc).....then 85% of that days lift for max reps
2) Speed Pulls 10-20 singles
3) Barbell Rows
1) Bench 10 x 3 60%
2) Press 3-5 x 5-10
1) Squat 10 x 2 x 60-70% (although Louie has recommended 70-80% for raw squatters)
2) Deadlift variant or goodmornings for sets of 5
Maybe you don't do this exactly, but I do know that this little template has yielded good results
Thank you Andy, appreciate the help.