starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changing to intermediate?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In all seriousness, if you are not wanting to gain weight you won't have the recovery to keep up with a linear progression, so a less aggressive routine will be needed like madcows, 5/3/1 etc, I don't even think TM would be a good choice.

You really, really should keep the linear progress going though - I would kill to have done something like SS at 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyion View Post
    I would kill to have done something like SS at 16.
    Me too. Consider yourself lucky to know what you know now and don't let your brain store it away in some corner and let you forget it. I wish I would have found SS years ago.

I am only 30 so I still have time.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    At 5' 7" an FFMI of 25 would put him at 160lbm LBM. put 20%bf and that gets you to 200lbs.

You requirements for "not skinny" are just a tad extreme.
    http://startingstrength.com/index.ph..._tall_athletes

In this video they say 3 pounds per inch as a bare minimum

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Zahn View Post
    http://startingstrength.com/index.ph..._tall_athletes

In this video they say 3 pounds per inch as a bare minimum
    Oy. "They" in that video is only Shaeffer and, well, he's wrong. For one thing even BMI is a better measure than his linear approximation. the 3lbs/inch rule would mean:
    180lbs at 5', 216 at 6' and 252lbs at 7'. At six feet it is not unreasonable, but hardly a min. at 5' it's way high and at 7' it's low.
    Also, if you look at the earlier parts of the video you'll note they're talking about competitive powerlifters and the sacrifices they have to make etc.

For general purposes even Rip says that you don't need to be over 20% bf for SS. He puts a ball park target of 15% in the clarification article. Should OP gain 10 or 20 lbs as his lifts keep going up, yes. Should he strive to weigh 200lbs ? only if he's squatting more than 4 plates or grows another few inches (which he very well may at his age).

At 5'7" inches and 150 pounds you are not big enough to be strong. At that height you would need to weight at least 180 pounds, and 190 or 200' would be better.

A big problem with most people is that they have never been around enough truly strong people to know what they look like. And this goes beyond the weightlifting crowd.

The gentleman who taught me traditional Chinese sword work stood about 6'4" and weighted at least 250 to 275 pounds. He was a monster for someone who had never set foot inside a gym and his forearms were as big around as my thighs at the time.

Lightening fast and he hit like a freight train.

Truly strong people are generally quite large. If you want to be skinny like an afghan, and most of them are exactly your size, you will have to settle for being physically weak, just like they are.

Default Additional information

Also, my friend Jay, a Navy seal, was the smallest SOCOM operator I know and he stands 5'4" and weights 148 pounds. Three inches shorter and only 2 pounds lighter. FYI, I've seen him squat 295 for a set of five as well.

Sure, maybe 150lbs isn't "big enough to be strong", but I just can't see it as "skinny".
    Funny you mention it, I actually happen to be part pakistani(and part swedish) so I don't really have a large frame. BTW, as I have said a couple of times now, I don't want to be skinny or small or whatever you think it is, I want to gain more weight!

Quote Originally Posted by PunchSlap View Post
    Also, I'm 16 years old and weigh about 68kg/150lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by PunchSlap View Post
    I've done the program for about a year I think.
    These two statements are contradictory. Do the program as written. Start from scratch. Eat a lot, much more than you think you should. Then drink milk until you are uncomfortable.

Or, you can screw around with a million different programming options, not eat enough, worry about your "bf%" not make progress, and fail.

Quote Originally Posted by raw32 View Post
    These two statements are contradictory. Do the program as written. Start from scratch. Eat a lot, much more than you think you should. Then drink milk until you are uncomfortable.

Or, you can screw around with a million different programming options, not eat enough, worry about your "bf%" not make progress, and fail.
    or you could do the program like i did and eat enough to make gains but not so much that you get fat

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    or you could do the program like i did and eat enough to make gains but not so much that you get fat
    No, there is only the One Way.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast