+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: first ever job interview in 3 days - advice appreciated

he's not criticizing your advice or the interviewer's eye toward the interviewee's hygiene/appearance

he's saying performing basic hygiene/appearance should be implied and a non-issue for the interviewee

I realize, but you use this phrase all so much Stone "people are stupid" (not saying you are simonsky) might seem like common sense how many people don't do it though.

I've interviewed people for positions 100s of times. The things I look for:

1. An ability to communicate
    2. A lack of bull shit
    3. Complete knowledge of your resume - with your experience that should be easy
    4. Be a good person - people like to work with nice, friendly people - this goes a long way
    5. Confidence without being cocky
    6. Show initiative - you better have studied up on the job position and the company beforehand

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post

If he blows the interview it should be on the substance of the interview itself, not that his nails arent clean...
    Cleanliness matters in the workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    I realize, but you use this phrase all so much Stone "people are stupid" (not saying you are simonsky) might seem like common sense how many people don't do it though.
    good point

So, how did the interview go?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I've interviewed people for positions 100s of times. The things I look for:

1. An ability to communicate
    2. A lack of bull shit
    3. Complete knowledge of your resume - with your experience that should be easy
    4. Be a good person - people like to work with nice, friendly people - this goes a long way
    5. Confidence without being cocky
    6. Show initiative - you better have studied up on the job position and the company beforehand
    I agree with most of your list but I never care at all if they memorize some useless facts off our website, I typically give them an overview of the company and the company culture (which they can't find on a website) and see how it sits with them.

Lifehacker.com and search for the tag job(s) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by michael dowling View Post
    I agree with most of your list but I never care at all if they memorize some useless facts off our website, I typically give them an overview of the company and the company culture (which they can't find on a website) and see how it sits with them.
    Depends on the org/interviewer I guess, but I think knowing about the company is key. I know in my case, the org I work for gets more than a million resumes a year-- and you better believe that if I were interviewing you, and you didn't show a damn good understanding of what it is we do/how we make money and how you in particular can be an asset to the org, that you wouldn't go very far.

Recently someone who has shown interest in applying made some comments that were pretty off base in that respect (e.g, they drastically over estimated a piece of the business' impact on the company), and I have to say, it made me far less likely to recommend them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast