starting strength gym

Thread: Any other folks compete/train strongman or throwing sports?

Default Any other folks compete/train strongman or throwing sports?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Basicaly I'm looking at some of the programs associated with Starting Strength/TM etc. and liking them (right now I'm mostly a 5/3/1 person). I'm curious if there are other guys that compete in strongman, or highland games or field events here and how they combine lifting with event work. As a "geezling" I find it is always difficult to decide what to cut out of lifting programs in order to be able to recover enough to train for events.

Well, Jenica is neither a guy nor a geezling, but she's got a log up in the competitive lifter logs for strongwoman. I think she just transitioned to 5/3/1.

Quote Originally Posted by agillie View Post
    Basicaly I'm looking at some of the programs associated with Starting Strength/TM etc. and liking them (right now I'm mostly a 5/3/1 person). I'm curious if there are other guys that compete in strongman, or highland games or field events here and how they combine lifting with event work. As a "geezling" I find it is always difficult to decide what to cut out of lifting programs in order to be able to recover enough to train for events.
    Hi there are a few guys combining SS, TM, Westside etc with strongman on other forums (sugden barbell...) With logs running. On the highland games and throwing front check out throwfarther on YouTube. Most of the powerlifting routines cross over well to strongman where a lot of the olympic type speed and assistance lifts in throwing. Good luck

There are a couple strongman competitors in the competitive lifter training logs. Jenica, biggmatt, Matt reynolds used to, I don't know if he plans to again.

Yeah, I'm a 42-year-old hammer thrower, but I'm not much of a resource. I basically just train as hard as my body will allow me, and when it seems like I've overdone it, I slow down for a while. I also end up 'slowing down' for a bunch of other dumb reasons, like poor diet, stress or just plain laziness.