+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squarebar hippie bars (food) for people.

Default Squarebar hippie bars (food) for people.

Some people were pushing these snack bars at the gym today. Depending on what your particular diet predilections are they may be interesting to know about.

http://www.squarebar.com/

They are high fat, medium protein, med carb, and are low glycemic (though i suspect high in fructose) and are made w/ a newish product called "coconut nectar" which is apparently the coconut palm equivalent of maple syrup. Also vegan, non-gmo, no gluten, no soy. Not thrilled about the fact it contains stevia, but there you are.

I liked the coconut flavor best though they're a bit more sweet than i'd like. (The almond ones were even sweeter)

INGREDIENTS: organic coconut nectar, organic brown rice protein, organic dark chocolate (organic cane sugar, organic cocoa liquor, organic cocoa butter, organic vanilla, sunflower lecithin), organic coconut, organic gluten free oats, organic coconut oil, organic cocoa liquor, sunflower lecithin, sea salt, organic reb a (stevia leaf extract).

(i have no idea what a "gluten free oat" is)

I mention them because they were tasty (more in a candy way than a snack kind of way) and they're mostly compatible w/ the Paleoish leanings of some of the people around here. Oh they're also $3 / piece so it's a premium snacking experience.

Investigator conflicts of interest: none known.

They should be tasty in a candy way since the first. 3 ingredients are sugar.

How do you figure ? The 2nd ingredient by weight is protein powder. Nutritional content wise it only has about as many carbs as protein (in the coconut flavor anyway).

However, i'm confused about the claims made for this coconut nectar. Reading around the web it says that it is LOW in fructose (like 10% when condensed) and is mostly sucrose (like 80%). But if so, how is it low GI ? There are many assertions that it has a GI of 35, but i can't find a study that says so (using Google) or an explanation of how this works. Wikipedia points to this summary of a study from the Philippines http://www.pca.da.gov.ph/pdf/glycemic.pdf

i hope it is not insulinogenic by some other path and that this is how it achieves its low GI. Maybe i should go back to twinkies.
    Last edited by veryhrm; 05-01-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    (i have no idea what a "gluten free oat" is)
    Oats are generally cross contaminated with wheat, so gluten free oats are processed in a wheat free environment. Oats (gluten free or not) do still contain avenin, which some coeliacs react to.

Sucrose = Glucose + Fructose.

It's a disaccharide.

Oops. Thought that said "brown rice syrup".

+ Reply to Thread