I've just finished reading this excellent thread: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=28373
And have had some thoughts about TM volume day progression.
I noticed some guys would hold their VD stead for ~3 weeks before moving up. Some guys were only doing 3x5 for VD etc.
Combining these two ideas, what about a combination of progressing sets and reps? E.g.:
W1: 315 3x5
W2: 315 4x5
W3: 315 5x5
W4: 320 3x5
W5: 320 4x5
- Good for a 'TM veteran' who can't continue upping the weight every VD.
- Despite the slow progress, every workout is a step forward, you don't feel like you're spinning your wheels on VD day not increasing the weight for a few weeks.
- Provides a minor form of volume periodization.
- Probably not the best for TM noobs (due to rate of progression)
- The discrepency in volume may provide some weeks of too little stimuli.