starting strength gym
Page 2 of 354 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: DRice311's Bastardization of 5/3/1

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sunday - 7/1

Power clean technique work and conditioning.
    My power clean form is shit. If I had balls, I know I could go way heavier- but cant seem to get where I pull myself under the bar. Started with a warmup at 135lb. Here is a triple at 225lb:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98_Cdb13s4

And then here is a single at 245. The heaviest I have ever racked is 250.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOuUuVSoC8Q

Followed this up with some jump rope and kettlebell swings (100 doubles, and 100 swings (4x25) with 53lb bell)
    Would of worked the push sled, but it was 105 degrees in Charlotte today (not exaggerating), which is retardedly hot.

DRice311,

Obviously you're strong enough to clean some serious weight, but I think you could benefit from some technique work- just a little bit that won't ruin your life/training lol. First thing, your hips look a bit high to me, so essentially it's a SLDL + clean. I'd lower those puppies a bit, push your knees out and then sweep the bar off the floor until you get to the mid-thigh/power position. As far as specific technique drills, I really like doing a 1+1 setup with the first rep being from the high hang (hips) and the 2nd rep being from the floor. Basically start at a light weight ~50kg and then add 5-10kg until you miss the high hang rep, then do the rest from the floor. Doing reps from the high hang teaches a quick rack, finishing the pull, getting under the bar, etc. Worked for me to take my clean over 300/snatch over 200. Just my uneducated 0.02.

PS- lookin swole, bro :-) no homo

Hey Jordan- thanks for the tips man. Is it that obvious I've never received coaching?? Lol. I will definetly try that rep scheme/ technique work next time out. I will work to lower my hips to. That is actually my natural deadlift stance. I've always seemed to pull with high hips. But I could see how it would be more explosive to lower it for cleans. Seriously, thanks -

Trust me I know man. My DL setup is quite a bit different than my clean setup as well. When you start with the high hang cleans (or snatches), try to avoid dipping down too low, but rather think of just a pop, shrug, and get underneath it. You'll kill it.

I'll be moving back to 5/3/1 or something similar within a few months, so I'll follow along here too. You have some pretty impressive lifts.

On cleans I don't think you ever really set your back, you know really squeezing your chest upwards and all that. I think if you did that, your hips would also be a tad lower. Also your catch seems to be more in your hands than on your shoulders? In any case you could do with getting elbows UP more.

They aren't horrible, though, and since you are an athletic guy I'm sure you can improve them further. Reading the chapter in SS and browsing some vids might help. And after that, posting up in the technique section, where the critique of the clean is usually quite helpful I find.

Quote Originally Posted by DV View Post
    On cleans I don't think you ever really set your back, you know really squeezing your chest upwards and all that. I think if you did that, your hips would also be a tad lower. Also your catch seems to be more in your hands than on your shoulders? In any case you could do with getting elbows UP more.
    Interesting - Looking at it, I think you are right. I feel that I did set my back, as in getting it neutral and keeping it tight, but I did not get my chest up. I'll focus more on that next time out. You are 100% correct. Bar was caught with my hands. I think part of that is because I am not pulling myself under the bar effectively, part is because my shoulder flexability sucks (it is better than what was in the video - I have no problem getting my elbows up during front squats, and I am working on it), and part of it is because I didn't have to front squat the weight at all, I lost focus, and just didn't rack it on my shoulders before I dropped it.

All great tips - sucks I have to wait until Saturday to implement!

(3/3/3+ on Wendler's Program):

Monday (7/2):
    Press:
    3 at 165#
    3 at 185#
    3+ at 210#
    Got 3 (felt better then 5+ last week, but 3 was all I had) then did 1 additional rep, with a very slight knee bend, but enough to piss me off and not count it.

Assistance:
    Speed Bench - 8x3 at 235# ~ 60 sec rest between
    Incline - 3x10 at 205#
    Dips - 3x12 at 100# + BW (last set only got 10)
    Pullups - 4x10
    Fly's - 3x10 at 185#

Speed sets are interesting. They are taking more out of me than I originally anticipated. But so far, I am enjoying them.

I meant your upper back - I agree that your lower back is probably acceptable. You don't have an "arch", but then I think your erectors are pretty large, which would explain why you can't see an "arch".

Cleans is even more a constant technique-battle than squats for most people - at least for me - so just take it as a work in progress. A fairly easy 245 is nothing to scoff at in any case.

(3/3/3+ on Wendler's Program):

Tuesday (7/3):
    Squat:
    3 at 295#
    3 at 340#
    3+ at 380#
    Got 6 at 380# - felt pretty good, especially considering I got 6 at 360# last week. Here is a video of my 3+ set so everyone can laugh at me for doing high bar. Its how I have always squatted, and just feel more comfortable that way. I have experimented with low bar, but like high bar better - even though I realize I am probably leaving some weight on the table. Same reason I DL conventional vs. trying sumo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfXOBXuOB2E

Assistance:
    Speed Deadlifts - 8x3 at 245# + 20lb resistance band ~ 60 sec between sets
    Back Extentions - 3x15 at 35# + 20lb band
    Dumbell Curls - 3x10 at 60lbs
    21's - 3 sets - 75lbs

starting strength coach development program
    Nice work. You are plenty strong, and have a solid work ethic. I'm looking forward to following along your log. I am particularly interested in the split you have worked out and watching you grow.

Page 2 of 354 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast