starting strength gym
Page 338 of 354 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 3537

Thread: DRice311's Bastardization of 5/3/1

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    2015 USAPL NC State Championship

Meet went Ok. Actually slept alright the night before and felt pretty good going in. The venue was pretty cool, they combined it with the NC State Stongman Championship, so there was a lot of people there, and a lot going on. Got to watch some of it, looks like a shit load of fun. The arena is kind of open air, so it was like doing a meet outside pretty much. It got pretty warm, particularly in the warm up area, but overall a lot of fun and I hope they do it again there next year.

I hate the new weight classes. I was already a light 198, now I'm a really puny 205. I can't carry 205, much less 215 then cut down to 205. We had 18 people in my weight class, and it was full of some pretty big ass dudes. I debated on cutting into the 83's, but I've never cut before, and didn't want to risk ruining my day because I was trying to get cute squeezing into a lower weight class. I'd rather just walk in knowing I'm feeling my best, and then just get the wilks bump from being light. That said, I was expecting to weigh 195-196lbs, I weighed in at 86kg (like 189), lololol.

Squat
    Opener: 217.5 (479.5lbs)
    2nd attempt: 232.5 (512.57lbs)
    3rd attempt: 242.5 (534.62lbs)

Squat felt good, really good. Current all time PR was 515. I had two planned #'s for my third attempt depending on how my second went, this was the heavier of the two (523lbs was the other), and this was still too light. I was shocked at how smooth this felt. Bet I left 10-15 lbs out there.

Bench
    Opener: 165kg (363lbs)
    2nd attempt: 172.5kg (380.3lbs)
    3rd attempt: 182.5kg (402.34lbs) MISS

Different meet, same old shit. I just need to realize my meet weight is going to be 5-10lbs less than what I can do in the gym. 380 felt good, and because I undershot my squat by, I didn't want to make the same mistake here. This was my heavier of my two planned attempts. My gut told me to just take 396 and set a big meet pr, but I didn't listen to it. Got it half way up and stalled. Video is wrong, I forgot I made a last minute adjustment to my opener after warming up.

Deadlift
    Opener: 265kg (584.22lbs)
    2nd attempt: 280kg (617.29lbs)
    3rd attempt: 292.5kg (644lbs) MISS

Ego got the best of me here. 617 was smoked, like really easy. My planned attempts were 639 if 617 felt easy and 628 if not. There was another dude who pulled 292.5 on his 2nd to break the state record, and I wanted it back figuring I could tie him at a lighter bw. So I called for 644. Still should have gotten it. I get so caught up in the moment I forget simple shit. i wasn't focusing on bar speed at all and just didn't generate enough momentum to get it above my knee where I know I could have finished the pull. Got it right at the knee and the bar speed cratered. As I was pulling I still thought I had it.

TOTAL = 695 kg (1532lbd) at 86kg

My goal was 1550, so I fell a little short of that, but I know I left an easy 35-40lbs out there if I had just planned my attempts smarter. So that is good news I guess. This was still a PR total for me and won the weight class. I came in 2nd for best overall to an 83kg who smoked his bench. He was a really good lifter, looked bigger than me in the lower class. There was also a monster in the 260's who at one point was a nationally ranked lifter as a teen (not sure if he still is) named Mike McCoy who legit looks like a mix between triple h and Thor. Me, him and the 83k guy were all separated by like 2 wilks points.

I reaggrivated an SI joint injury and it was pretty damn sore and stiff this morning, pretty painful. Depending on how it feels tomorrow, I may take the week off then resume my normal training the following week. Can't wait.

Video of all attempts:

Congrats on the PR's. Fucking pull was so close. You'll definitely have 1550 next time just by tweaking attempt selection.

Nice job on the PR's. You know 1550 is there for the taking next time.

Dead was so damn close. I sensed a bit of hesitancy in your last air humps which might've taken the 2% needed to just inch it past your knees. It's hard to tell: Still using the old belt for pulls?

Also: totalling 695kg at 86kg BW is sick. Nicely done.

Strong Stuff, Congrats !!

Congrats Dana! That pull was so close, so was the bench.

Really nice job, Dana. I'm humbled that you pretty much weigh the same as me, totaling 200 pounds more!

Congrats on your lifts at the meet. Impressive stuff!

Impressive lifts! The joy of meets. Go for broke or leave some on the platform. Haha. Good shit man.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks everyone - Kyle, I agree. If I had just stuck to the plan it was there. In hindsight though, if I leave weight out there I would rather it be because I was going for it than because I was being too conservative.

Yesterday and today were spent trying to get my SI back to normal. A lot of chest to knee stretching, little bit of foam rolling, sled walks, and single leg weighted leg press. Today, I did some DL reps at 135, and it wasn't very bad. It has gotten significantly better since Sunday, and now pretty much only bothers me when I stand up after sitting for a while. Optimistic I will be fully ready to go Monday.